• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Farthest flying non wide wing driver?

Go snag yourself a pro Beast, just keep it off the trees and rocks and pavement. Beasts are fun, especially in a tail wind.

So this thread is fantastic. I too have small hands and can't seem to grip the wide stuff well. My longest disc is a beat PD, which I can get to 370-380'. Just behind that is my 1.1 SOLF, and then a Z-XS. All of these are max weight.

Should I be trying some lighter weights? I don't have a ton of cash, and all my DG buddies say to buy max weight shit for distance, and since I'm a noob I listen to whatever anyone says. Most of the courses I play I don't need an absolute bomber disc, but I would love something somewhat overstable that I can get 20 more feet from.

Thunderchumpy said:
I don't have a ton of cash, and all my DG buddies say to buy max weight shit for distance,
That's interesting. Makes me wonder why the lightweight Blizzard stuff has taken off. All my longer discs tend to be light, but I have not taken the Blizzard plunge yet. Not sure what mold to try nor how light to go.

Thunderchumpy said:
So this thread is fantastic. I too have small hands and can't seem to grip the wide stuff well. My longest disc is a beat PD, which I can get to 370-380'. Just behind that is my 1.1 SOLF, and then a Z-XS. All of these are max weight.

Should I be trying some lighter weights? I don't have a ton of cash, and all my DG buddies say to buy max weight shit for distance, and since I'm a noob I listen to whatever anyone says. Most of the courses I play I don't need an absolute bomber disc, but I would love something somewhat overstable that I can get 20 more feet from.
I'll put it to you this way. If you look at the discs the guys throw in the max D competitions, very rarely if ever do you see them throw something max weight. You saw a lot of Pro/DX stuff in the 160s and now blizzard type stuff. Technically, heavier has the potential to go farther accurately if you have the arm for it. Very few people have the arm to throw max weight discs farther or as far as something 5-10 grams lighter, as far as I can tell.

Yeah for me my furthest disc I have ever thrown is a 168g esp nuke. 560'! So take that for what it's worth. I would say get a 168-167 pro pd. it flies! Also I wouldn't be afraid to step up the a wraith or something and beat that sucker in.

It has been my observation that, unless you're pro, speed 11 discs can have just as much distance potential as speed 13 discs. I know it seems backwards but just find your fit and you'll see what I mean. Each player has different throwing techniques... I have seen bombs happen with wraiths or dd's and then that same guy hyzer out a larger disc. So just find your fit. But if you can throw 380 with a pd try to beat in a pro wraith they go shockingly far

Thunderchumpy said:

drop down to the mid 160's on all those discs and I bet you add at least 20' per disc.

I've thrown P-PDs in many weights and can get lighter weights further than heavier. I bag two 163g for max D in wooded courses now, one pretty beat. I'm a scrawny nerd and not particularly athletic, and 350' seems pretty easy to achieve with a PD of any weight after 2 years of throwing them. Lighter weights do reveal form flaws, especially OAT, more readily, however. Gonna call BS that a noob can get a max weight PD out to 370 or that pask got a nuke to 560. Even on a fluke, consistency is the key to this sport....

andrew said:
I've thrown P-PDs in many weights and can get lighter weights further than heavier. I bag two 163g for max D in wooded courses now, one pretty beat. I'm a scrawny nerd and not particularly athletic, and 350' seems pretty easy to achieve with a PD of any weight after 2 years of throwing them. Lighter weights do reveal form flaws, especially OAT, more readily, however. Gonna call BS that a noob can get a max weight PD out to 370 or that pask got a nuke to 560. Even on a fluke, consistency is the key to this sport....

Well, I still consider myself a noob because I haven't hit par on any course yet, but I've been playing for about 2 years. I have a solid year throwing the PD, so I can legitimately throw 370' or so with a decent bit of accuracy if it's wide open. I have thrown some blizzard stuff, but with very little control and they all seem pretty flippy.

Thanks for the input, I think I'll try some of the discs I throw now in lighter weights.

Gotcha- I appreciate that criteria as a noob designation. I was thinking noob more in terms of those i frequently see online who state, "Been playing three months and pretty much have this sport figured out, but..." or those I meet in stores who state, "I need max weight discs because i throw with so much power!" :roll:

Edit to add; If you're not playing courses for par, I'd wager it's your putting game to blame....

andrew said:
Gonna call BS that a noob can get a max weight PD out to 370 or that pask got a nuke to 560. Even on a fluke, consistency is the key to this sport....

HAHAHAHA well that's your peragative but as the range finder says 561 actually because it was 187 yards... But it wasn't just a nuke I got 3 discs within 10 ft of each other... A nuke, blizz boss, and a p line dd... I'm lanky at 6'3. Played hockey's whole life and learned a crap ton over at the technique section and posted vids...

Don't matter to me none... I'm hear to help not praise myself...

PS- I also have only been playing 6 months... And was with a buddy who threw 520'. You can learn real fast when someone helps you...

Yeah. Don't work out much but yes naturally athletic. Doing snapshots my whole life I've already learner about weight transfer and all that. Obviously this is different but end of the day it has helped a ton!

dgdave said:
How do you feel about Mids? Over rated?
Nope I love mids. I shoot them from 270-330ish somewhere in there. I love those shots. And anything under 270' I use a putter. I have found the ion is my go to putter off the tee. I can crank it out pretty good but I have to be careful because if given 100% it will turn...

Why do you ask?

Really the only discs I think are over rated are the crazy overstable speed 9-10 discs. I might be off but some guys love them and I cant really use.them very well. But I haven't been playing to long so.maybe there's a reason why ppl love z preds. Lil. I'm just not a fan they fade almost as soon as they leave my hand. I have to release anny and at that point why not use a different disc. But again its probably me

Only a portion of DGR rembers those golden oldies partially deleted joke threads dgdave was referring to. Many people have joined since then. He was messing with you. And i'm tempted to write a word in plural that starts with the letter b :)

Well I have no idea what your talking about. Lol. But JR you are half the reason for my D! The longer reach back and the hip getting past neutral really helped my throw... So thanks!