• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite Understable Mid

Not to get snarky by any means, but it's worth mentioning that OP asked this question specifically b/c he was tired of a beating-in DX Roc fighting out of a turn.

Forever #1 in my bag!
images

Discraft Glide is what I use. I know this is not listed as a mid, but its barely faster than a mid. It is probably the slowest fairway driver from discraft. A lot of meteors have dome and I am not a fan of dome. The glide comes out much flatter which is the main reason its in my bag. Also you dont have to pay $20 to get a glide in Z plastic.

I also use a glide

I carry a Star Kite and DX Stingray and love them both. I probably wouldn't need them both, but I use the Stingray for rollers and either one of them for understable shots.

Tursas or Fuse but the Tursas is a little more stable. When thrown with some power the Fuse always goes right and never fades and the Tursas thrown the same will usually turn some but fades back to straight for me.

The easiest to control for me is a DX Stingray; shorter would be a Wedge (ok, wedge is technically a putter).

The most versatile (and most fun) is a Gold line Flying Squirrel.

I've had the Flying Squirrel for a few months. I love that thing. I'm still working on my pilot's license for it, so it doesn't yet come out on clutch shots.

If an overstable mid-range - Gator/Drone - is like a Buick station wagon, the Flying Squirrel is a Lamborghini. The Squirrel is hugely responsive. It has flown lines I hadn't even thought of. At this point, it is not an *easy* disc for me to throw well. I can, if I'm careful, make it fly a sweeping hyser (not that you'd necessarily want to use a Squirrel for that shot on the course). Hyser flips-to-straight, turnovers with fade, turnovers without fade ... if I can hit the release angle and altitude it'll do it all. Tons of glide, too.

I'm having a blast figuring out the Flying Squirrel. Fortunately, the consequences of slamming a Flying Squirrel into a tree are significantly milder than doing the same with a Lamborghini.

No love for the Champion Panther? Innova's most underrated disc and it's fairly under stable.

They're cool too. Possibly the best understable, small diameter mid. (Sorry Skeeter).

-------------------

The Glide sucks, it's OOP for a reason. :p

I'm glad to see Stingray cited so many times, because I decided a while back that would be my next DX purchase.

Tursas for me right now. Bagged the stingray for a while, but I really hate the waxy DX plastic so it came out. Tursas saved me a ton of strokes at a course over the weekend.

Old school Champion Cobra, pearly or opaque FTW.

Opto Fuse is the newest version of this disc if you need a cheaper replacement, nearly identical flights.

My GL Fuse will turn and not come back, even when thrown with 200 feet of power. It's amazing, and beautiful to watch, but a very touchy disc.

The Tursas is great, but the heavy VIP Tursas I have needs a bit more power to turn. I'd call it "stable" instead of "understable." I'm sure a lighter/tourney Tursas would turn a little bit more.

The Tangent is remarkable. It doesn't turn as much as the Fuse, but it will hold an anny because it just refuses to fade. Of the three, I've found the Tangent to have the least glide. This is likely why (for me), it's the most controllable.

surprised i heard this one. everyone that i've talked to don't prefer the buzzz ss for their "understable" spot in the bag...not flippy, just dead straight...i'm not saying im against it, because i have a z buzzz ss ive been trying my hardest to beat the hss out of (though it hasn't been working). i want it to be something i can put on a 30 degree hyzer, have flip up, and then slowly track right...only time can tell...

Latest posts