• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Favorite Understable Mid

surprised i heard this one. everyone that i've talked to don't prefer the buzzz ss for their "understable" spot in the bag...not flippy, just dead straight...i'm not saying im against it, because i have a z buzzz ss ive been trying my hardest to beat the hss out of (though it hasn't been working). i want it to be something i can put on a 30 degree hyzer, have flip up, and then slowly track right...only time can tell...

I had a buzzz ss for about 6 months, and at first it was dead straight, yes, after about 3 months I could throw it on about 20 degree hyzer and it would flip up and start turning. And I figured it would turn more for others, because I was only throwing it 215. It was actually my learner disc when I started throwing backhand and it would still turn.

Stingray

I'll agree whole-heartedly with the Stingray love!

I carry three in my bag, all between 170-175g.

The Star is harder for me to flip and is super straight. Thrown with a slight hyzer release it flips up to flat and glides nicely with minimal fade at the end.

Then I carry 2 DXs. One is in the new to moderately beat in. It's more for gentle turn-overs and will flip pretty hard, if thrown pretty hard. The other is a super beat in flipping machine. It can be released on a severe hyzer and still flip over big-time, at far less than full power. If thrown hard, it will flip into a roller very quickly, even from a hyzer release.

FYI, I throw my drivers about 325' on average, just to give an idea of the distance I throw for comparison. I'll throw the Star Stingray on holes up to about 270' or so. Generally the DXs are reserved for shorter holes and more specialized shots. I hope that some of this might prove useful. I love me some Stingrays! I even traded for several pre-beat in DXs on here a while back. They were great investments!

I love my max weight Z Comet in good condition for these magical barely hyzer-flip-turnovers that turn over ever so slowly and steadily and stay flat at the end. I have a very beat up old X Comet that is amazing for rollers and great for high hyzer-flip-turnovers that will always finish strongly anhyzer.

surprised i heard this one. everyone that i've talked to don't prefer the buzzz ss for their "understable" spot in the bag...not flippy, just dead straight...i'm not saying im against it, because i have a z buzzz ss ive been trying my hardest to beat the hss out of (though it hasn't been working). i want it to be something i can put on a 30 degree hyzer, have flip up, and then slowly track right...only time can tell...

Like I said several pages ago. A Buzzz SS in ESP plastic goes from straight to turning right within 2 weeks of using it. Perfect for the turnover tunnel shots OP asked about. I have 2 in my bag right now and used the more stable one to deuce hole 2 at Flyboy. Tons, and tons of glide from elevated tees.

Thanks for all the feedback. I stopped by the shop at my local course and the offerings were limited but I came across a DX Stingray and a Gateway Mystic in a DX feeling plastic. I'm intrigued my the Mystic because I like the flight of the Magic and they are the same company/flight ratings and similar profile.

Has anybody thrown a Mystic? Obviously it's not an extremely popular mold but I think it may cover what I'm looking for. Felt good in the hand. The owner offered to let me throw it but the disc was white and I would have felt obligated to buy it if I did. Wish I did now, though.

There is definitely not enough love for the panther. Hyzerflips or turns over depending on how well acquainted with it you are.

I don't think the Panther is really all that understable. It will turn some, but it usually fights back out for me. Maybe I need to hit some more trees.

If I had some DX Panthers I'd beat them in, but I don't, so I have a Stingray for when I need crazy turn.

Ive been wanting to try out a tangent for the understable slot, and maybe a tursas as well.

Favorite understable mid:
Star Wedge (if your form is good, you can get it out to 200+)

My form isn't good, and I can still get mine out to 200' :|

That's how awesome this disc is :D

Crazy shallow with a tiny rim, but if you can get used to that, it will glide for days. Thrown with hyzer it will flip up and turn over with almost no fade.

Latest posts