• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Flat putter for turnover forehand approach shots

discerdoo

* Ace Member *
I prefer flat discs for forehand, love my Zones for OS approaches. Suggestions for a flat, US putter for turnover approach shots? I assume Sexton uses a Dart, any idea what the other pros throw for these shots?

I just got a Latitude GL Spike for that job. Great small rim size for short forehand approaches. It doesn't like a big rip especially when there's a wind around, but it is a great understable pair for Harp.

The Streamline Pilot is low profile, flat, and holds a turnover very well. The only issue with forehand is the bead. It's a small bead, but some people don't prefer this for forehands. I love the Prodigy PA4 for an understable putter, but it's a deep dish and I can't get a comfortable forehand grip for my life with deep discs.

I'd really suggest trying to find a local player or store where you could feel up a Pilot, because I really think it's one of the most comfortable feeling and neutral flying putters around.

Summit was my first thought. After reading that you also throw Zones, I would recommend the XD.

A DX Wedge. Nice and thin, easy to flick with effortless turn and glide.

The Swan 2 and Proxy both do this well.

400 Pa4 , Neutron Proxy, Electron Atom - They are fairly flat top and not super flippy but would be a nice forehand grip for smooth turnover. I would vote Neutron Proxy as the one I have is very flat and the rounded edge is comfortable in the palm and it takes a smooth anny, not too flippy

I use the Proxy for this, also have used the Summit in the past. Proxy and Zone are my pairing.

People are going to think I'm crazy, but I use my SE Slammer for this shot. I also have a classic blend that I use as well. They are waaay more versatile than people give them credit for. They will hold an anny FH shot without flipping too much. I used to use a flat top old school Rhyno, but they were harder to find and expensive to replace, couldn't have been happier when DD released the slammer, its like a Flat CE Rhyno without the price tag.

Thanks for all the replies, peeps. After a little research on flight numbers I think I'll go feel up a Proxy. Not a fan of soft plastic, but do like some grip. Thoughts on neutron vs plasma plastic?

Do check out a Prodigy Pa2 in 350g. It's FLAT, beadless and dead $$$ for this shot once you beat it in. It maintains flight integrity and will hold that FH turnover shot without being flippy or uncontrollable. The bottom of the rim can feel a little sharp when new but that's why you beat it in. The bottom of the rim rounds off and becomes perfect and allows for a super clean release.

Discs like the Proxy are a bit too understable for my liking in this role. They respond very well to touch if that's your thing but I find them harder to control the amount of turn. You can be a little more aggressive with something like a Pa2.

Another one to consider would be the Kastaplast Reko or a Big Z Roach. Both are very similar. The Reko is slightly puddle topped and has a small "ridge" around the rim that provides a FH grip feeling that is simply sublime. The Reko has a micro bead that does not affect the release at all but significantly improves flight integrity.

I just got a Latitude GL Spike for that job. Great small rim size for short forehand approaches. It doesn't like a big rip especially when there's a wind around, but it is a great understable pair for Harp.

I'm not sure that we have Gold Line Spikes in the US, but would like to try them.

To the OP, I think pros often beat in a putter that is somewhat stable (not overstable), and use that for their understable shots.

Latest posts