• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form check?

Just watch the first minute or two of this, ignore the audio if you want, what's important I think is to compare what the good hitters do from the problem hitters. You can see in the comparison shots the bad hitters twist in place with weight on the rear foot. The good hitters get into that brace leg while staying balanced.

If you want to play around with shifting your weight like this go for it (unless SW22 veto's it as harmful)...but obviously it's a very different stance and goals from throwing a disc. So the positions won't transfer the same. But dynamic balance is dynamic balance.

Don't worry about forcing a counterweight with your rear leg...when things work out they work out. When the positions are right you will automatically be balanced.

First of all, thank you for all your help sidewinder22. I know that I am kind of slow learner, but bear with me :) Some questions for clarification.

Do you mean this, that my bumm is over my front foot? If I go anymore left, I am already tipping my weight to my rear leg. I mean, I am not sure how can I be more "inside" of my front leg, without falling inside :D

Maybe push knee out, but then I feel weight on outside of my foot. When my knee is inside, I feel weight more inside of my foot. When knee is exactly over my foot, then I feel weight centered in the middle of foot :\

GSar0As.png

What do you mean that my rear foot is spinning out? Maybe I am misunderstanding something, but I thought I must use my rear foot as counter balance to not spin around my body. This is something I am trying around 15-16sec

OfqH2mD.png

How should my leg be positioned? Should I try to create this curve in my leg? I this this is what loopghost mentioned also in his videos, that trying to create the pole vault pole.

earXSS5.png
1. Go back to the SC vid and just look at the difference in your legs setting up one leg. A video from behind will probably show your balance better, your posture and balance should be more upright and toward your toes on front foot, narrower stance with rear foot but more closed. You should feel very balanced on the front foot from start through finish and be able to maintain that all day long.

2. Your rear foot starts spinning counter clockwise in the backswing, the very definition of spinning out.

The rear toes should stay on the ground like the finish pics from a few posts ago. You are jumping off your rear foot going over the top, instead of countering the throw. You are counter balancing your out of balance condition instead of countering the arm/ disc action and maintaining a tilted spiral axis.

3. Depends on your stance. Don't focus on getting that position, you need to feel balanced/posted through the inside of your leg with your spine tilted against the front leg. If your body went into a perpetual spiral it should maintain that same tilt all the way around 360 degrees over and over, see tilted spiral 2 again. Your front foot should not spin around on the ground in a perpetual spiral it would have to go airborne with your whole body spinning on a tilt. See Dave Wiggins.

Better, but your weight is not getting off the rear foot, it's spinning out.

Better, but your weight is not getting off the rear foot, it's spinning out.

Ok you are correct. I have a theory that I am starting my pull and hip turn too early, while my weight has not shifted enough.

Rear foot is spinning out? But this time it is going clockwise, if I understand correctly.

Rear foot is spinning out? But this time it is going clockwise, if I understand correctly.
When you start your backswing your rear foot starts spinning counter-clockwise and are then cooked trying to make it back forward. The rear foot should not spin at all in the backswing. It needs to be firm into the ground and build torque/leverage from the rest of your body/weight/pressure moving into the foot/leg.

When you start your backswing your rear foot starts spinning counter-clockwise and are then cooked trying to make it back forward. The rear foot should not spin at all in the backswing. It needs to be firm into the ground and build torque/leverage from the rest of your body/weight/pressure moving into the foot/leg.

Hmm interesting, I have never noticed this before, it is just so small twist. I think I am doing this because it helps me to open up hips better. I will try not to do it anymore and test if it changes something.

I know that the pull and hips turn should be slow to fast and smooth. What about weight shift?
When I did the can crush drill I tried to smash the can with my heel so it was quite aggressive. Should the weight shift be explosive to get the weight shift happen fast?

I know that the pull and hips turn should be slow to fast and smooth. What about weight shift?
When I did the can crush drill I tried to smash the can with my heel so it was quite aggressive. Should the weight shift be explosive to get the weight shift happen fast?
Slow to fast - falling crush of your weight, you can't speed up the acceleration rate of gravity! Everybody's weight here on this planet roughly accelerates at the same rate. The higher you jump - the further you will fall - the faster your weight will shift - the harder you will crush the can.

Slow to fast - falling crush of your weight, you can't speed up the acceleration rate of gravity! Everybody's weight here on this planet roughly accelerates at the same rate. The higher you jump - the further you will fall - the faster your weight will shift - the harder you will crush the can.

Question on this, can crush/bracing force. I guess I normally have been trying to make a smooth transfer of weight and accelerate into the brace and not sure i've been doing it quite on point. The other day unintentionally I was really crashing hard into my plant foot, instead of pushing into the ground if felt like I was stomping. It wasn't every throw and it was almost accidental, I didn't feel like I was hurrying my Xstep, still trying to stay slow and rhythmic, but the throws I did feel like I stomped the ground with my plant were great throws, not huge gains in distance but significant enough to be noticeable.

Question then is which would be better stomping the plant into the ground or pushing the plant into the ground? if that makes sense.

Question on this, can crush/bracing force. I guess I normally have been trying to make a smooth transfer of weight and accelerate into the brace and not sure i've been doing it quite on point. The other day unintentionally I was really crashing hard into my plant foot, instead of pushing into the ground if felt like I was stomping. It wasn't every throw and it was almost accidental, I didn't feel like I was hurrying my Xstep, still trying to stay slow and rhythmic, but the throws I did feel like I stomped the ground with my plant were great throws, not huge gains in distance but significant enough to be noticeable.

Question then is which would be better stomping the plant into the ground or pushing the plant into the ground? if that makes sense.
I'm not sure what you mean by pushing the plant into the ground? You should be falling heavily into the plant from behind you.

I generally don't like the term stomp, but there should be a sudden stop/brace to your fall which may feel like a mini-stomp through your heel. To me stomping means picking up the whole front foot/knee too much from the rest of your body/weight and then overcommitting your balance/spine assuming you make a stride and still plant with all your weight. A full on stomp is going to create too much instantaneous ground reactive force to maintain your balance throughout the swing/finish - if you stomp plant into a mud puddle, it will just splatter the mud everywhere and you are going to have a hard time maintaining balance on your front foot. If you fall landing on toes then heel/weight the mud will get squeezed out behind the heel more forcefully/directionally and you should be able to maintain your balance and crushing force much longer on the front foot.

IMO the hop is like the anti-stomp since the front foot is just gliding above the ground while your whole center of mass has been raised massively to crush using your weight. A stomp involves exaggerating the foot raise/fall above the ground vs your whole center of mass. Even though pitchers and batters(sometimes) raise the front foot quite a bit during the windup, when they stride forward they have lowered it so it's just gliding above the ground an inch or two and they plant with all their weight crushing behind it.

So if you want to call what we do a stomp, it should be called "the one inch stomp" like "the one inch punch".

Some good snippets:
http://baseballrebellion.com/jkhittingrebel/how-does-the-hitters-front-side-effect-his-swing/
"Much like when you watch a big league pitcher set the hip inward and allow gravity to pull them down the slope of the mound before exploding over it, a hitter does a similar move."

"Landing on the ball of your foot is fine, but you have to drive the heel down[with your weight/gravity] into the ground in order to properly turn your hips and body in the swing. Land with softness on the front side…but strength in the heel plant. He is trying to use his arms too soon (that's why he's swinging before heel plant) which is a huge problem."

Sounds like maybe I've just now felt a proper brace. The motion I've been going for is a bit like ice skating or maybe a slide board for training speed skating. So keeping my stride low and bracing in a way I can be balanced and could jump back to the other foot if I weren't to throw.

I think maybe, I've probably been essentially rolling my weight over my plant instead of into it. When I say felt like a stomp it was the impact and force rather than the leg motion. I do think I would have been splashing the mud toward the target more than out the back of my heel.

This is what I have now. I feel like I am not going over the top now? Also I am turning around my axis?

I am trying to create the x-factor, so that hips open up and then comes the shoulders and hand.
One problem I think I have is that I am trying to lead with hips and when turning hips, I also turn shoulders, and arm lags down and is not at the power position in correct time.

Last edited:
Turn your shoulders further back at the plant/load(door frame drill) - so your upper arm/elbow is wider, but arm/disc still straight back. Then drive the elbow forward with the shoulder, don't let your arm hug you.

Turn your shoulders further back at the plant/load(door frame drill) - so your upper arm/elbow is wider, but arm/disc still straight back. Then drive the elbow forward with the shoulder, don't let your arm hug you.

Tried to turn shoulder further back. I think it looks better.

Rear arm must move in forward, you aren't getting your whole rear side forward enough, try keeping your arm in/hand on thigh like Mark Jarvis. Pretty sure a rear camera view will show your balance behind your heel.

This whole thread has been awesome to read through. Kudos to both of you.

Do I understand correctly, that I must keep my disc hand loose, just making sure my 90degree corners dont collapse, and actually start pulling at "hit zone"?