• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fort Worth to Chicago and back

We are 2 days and 9 courses down so far. Idlewild ROCKS!!! Definitely my favorite so far. I also really enjoyed Lincoln Ridge. Freeman Lake was the lowlight of the trip so far. Just didn't stack up to these other great course we've played. We are playing Mt. Airy and Lemon Lake tomorrow and then taking a break from playing to enjoy Chicago.

Thanks for all of the tips everyone!

While you're in Chicago, I'm around most days after 1pm if you want to get together for a round anywhere. I've played everything in the Chicago area, and would love to show you around.

While you're in Chicago, I'm around most days after 1pm if you want to get together for a round anywhere. I've played everything in the Chicago area, and would love to show you around.

I appreciate the offer, but we won't be golfing in Chicago. My wife has been overly gracious to let me play as much as she has already on this trip, Chicago is hers to decide how we spend our time. We'll be catching a Cubs game, going up to the lounge on the 96th, going to taste of Chicago, and a few other things to keep busy.

If you end up in the northern Chicago suburbs at all, I would highly recommend a great new course just over the Wisconsin border: Fox River Park - Grey Fox. It's in a small enough town that you pretty much have the course to yourself at any time. If you have kids playing along, there is also a much easier rec 9-holer in the same park. I live in the north suburbs, and this is my favorite course within 30 minutes of me.

I definitely agree. Well worth the trip if your in the area..

I appreciate the offer, but we won't be golfing in Chicago. My wife has been overly gracious to let me play as much as she has already on this trip, Chicago is hers to decide how we spend our time. We'll be catching a Cubs game, going up to the lounge on the 96th, going to taste of Chicago, and a few other things to keep busy.

Cool, enjoy!

Wow, was Lemon Lake Silver course a disappointment. It has a long way to go to be ready for Worlds. Mt Airy was great today too. All the courses so far have been fantastic...except for Lemon Lake.

Is that the only LL course you got to play? I personally like both Red and Blue better than Silver/Gold.

Thanks for the updates. I'll be playing some of the same course on your route next month. Looking foward to a trip report!

Is that the only LL course you got to play? I personally like both Red and Blue better than Silver/Gold.

I wish I would have listened to that advice before today. The other courses looked they were out in the open and too easy.

Blue has a section that's pretty open, but enough length, elevation and wind to keep it interesting. Red is a really fun technical course, mostly through the woods, the first couple holes are kind of throw aways to get you from the parking lot into the woods.

I love how you are taking a road trip to Chicago and hardly playing anything while you're there. It shows that you did some research.;) I would add Highland Park in Joliet if you have time. I think it is better than Community park in Channahon, although I love both courses. Community Park is kept in better condition, but Highland is way more of a challenge. Anyway have fun and if you go to the Taste be prepared for crowds.

I love how you are taking a road trip to Chicago and hardly playing anything while you're there. It shows that you did some research.;) I would add Highland Park in Joliet if you have time. I think it is better than Community park in Channahon, although I love both courses. Community Park is kept in better condition, but Highland is way more of a challenge. Anyway have fun and if you go to the Taste be prepared for crowds.

We are heading to Taste of Chicago today. Thanks for the heads up on the crowds. We are both pretty much newbs to public transportation so today should be interesting. We went up in the John Hancock building last night and had drinks in the lounge on the 96th. That was really cool. Very pricey, but cool. We lucked out on parking and found a free spot to park very close by.

Thanks for the tip on Highland Park, I'll check that out.

We're back! Awesome trip with lots of great disc golf courses. Favorites were Idlewild, Lincoln Ridge, and Charlie Vettiner. Least favorites were Lemon Lake and Freeman Lake. We skipped the last course on the list, Blackhawk, so that we could get home a little bit sooner.

Thanks for your input, those of you that posted!

Which courses did you play at lemon?

You should've hit up West Park in Joliet. Crowded course but pretty fun.

Which courses did you play at lemon?

You should've hit up West Park in Joliet. Crowded course but pretty fun.

Silver. I was very underwhelmed.

I thought about playing West Park, but ended up not having time to get on the computer to find directions. I already had everything ready to go to get to Community Park. I enjoyed Community Park.

I'm not a huge fan of the silver course either. Red and white are my favorites. Next time you come through def play West Park if you can, it's leaps and bounds better than most around here, IMO anyway.

I don't like GPS tracking me wherever I go, but having a TomTom or something is a pretty nice tool to find the courses. I also like Trinity Links, even though it's not as highly rated. (I saw 3 cases of major animal cruelty while playing, took me out of my game trying to decide if I wanted to walk up to the people on the porch and say something about it) I haven't played it yet, but supposedly the course in Valpo is one of the best around here as well.

That 11% sales tax in Chicago is awesome. I love going there and spending money. /sarcasm

I'm not a huge fan of the silver course either. Red and white are my favorites. Next time you come through def play West Park if you can, it's leaps and bounds better than most around here, IMO anyway.

I don't like GPS tracking me wherever I go, but having a TomTom or something is a pretty nice tool to find the courses. I also like Trinity Links, even though it's not as highly rated. (I saw 3 cases of major animal cruelty while playing, took me out of my game trying to decide if I wanted to walk up to the people on the porch and say something about it) I haven't played it yet, but supposedly the course in Valpo is one of the best around here as well.

That 11% sales tax in Chicago is awesome. I love going there and spending money. /sarcasm

I used a TomTom to get around to the courses, but I didn't have the coordinates for the Joliet course and didn't have internet access when I needed it to pull them up.
The unfortunate thing about this site is that a lot of the lat/long coordinates given here take you near the course, but not directly to hole 1. Luckily I had printed the course pages that had directions on them to help us find the way into the course and to find the first tee.

Latest posts