• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

wolfhaley to TN/NC and back

wolfhaley

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
So I got a trip lined up for next May. Looking like 10 days, maybe 11 if need be. Heading down to play some bad boys in east TN and west NC, before making my way back home thru VA, WV, OH, IN and IL. Any thoughts, suggestions or anything is much welcomed and appreciated. Here's my pretty early itinerary.

Day 1- Head out and drive straight through to Louisville KY area. 9 to 10 hour drive it appears.

Day 2- Head to jefferson City, TN. 5 to 6 hour drive. Plan on 2 courses this day.
-Panther Creek SP-18 holes
-Morristown Kiwanis DGC-18 holes

Day 3- Head to Johnson City, TN. 11/2 to 2 hours. 3 courses lined up.
-Harmon Hills-27 holes
-Warrior's Path SP-27 holes
-Winged Deer Park-18 holes

Day 4- To Boone, NC. 1 1/2 hours but taking the longer scenic route.
-Sugaree- lots of holes, main purpose of this trip.
-North Cove-River Run or The Boulder's (if I have time)

Day 5- Back up day for Sugaree if the weather doesn't cooperate on day 4. or else 3 courses. Staying in Boone again.
-Highland Hills DGC-18 holes
-Rolling Pines DGC-18 holes
-Ft. Hamby Park-18 holes

Day 6- Head out to Princeton, WV. 2 courses planned.
-Ashe County Park-18 holes
-Sugar Hollow DGC-18 holes

Day 7- To Chillicothe, OH. 3 course planned, might be a bit ambitious. 4 hour drive.
-Glenwood Park-18 holes
-Princeton City Park-18 holes
-Valley Park DGC-18 holes

Day 8- Heading to Lafayette, IN. 5ish hour drive. 3 courses planned.
-Caeser Ford Park-Campground-9 holes
-Caeser Ford Park-Championship-18 holes
-Echo Valley DGC-18 holes

Day 9- Heading to Aurora, IL. 3ish hours or so. 2 courses for sure. Maybe some more.
-Wabash Washout-18 holes
-Wabash Woods-18 holes

Day 10- Home
-Eagle Ridge Civic Center-18 holes
-Jericho Lake DGC-18 holes
-Prairie Park DGC-9 holes

May add an additional day in Boone. Backup Sugaree day, rest day or a day to hit up both North Cove courses. This will most likely happen. Thoughts and suggestions?

So I got a trip lined up for next May. . . . Thoughts and suggestions?

Looks like a blast, have a great time!

I enjoyed Morristown Kiwanis, finding it quirky and memorable (disc golf on the moon, with trees). I loved Harmon Hills, but I was fortunate to play it the week before a big tournament. HH may not always that groomed, so you might want to see if you can coordinate your visit before or after a tournament.

It would be a shame to be so close to Roanoke and Lynchburg without playing a few courses there. I have not made that trip yet, but Mayflower Hills, Independence Park, and New London Tech are on my list, maybe Greenfield. You could probably include Nellie's Course if you decide to take that loop.

No other suggestions, but I shall follow your exploits with great interest!

The Wabash Woods/ Wabash Washout courses in Lafayette are worth checking out if it hasn't rained the day before. Theyre both in the same property. Murdock Park is a fun park course too if you're into that style.

I've heard Lemon Lake complex in Crown Point is still good if not what it used to be. Haven't played it myself but I'm hoping to get up there eventually.

The Wabash Woods/ Wabash Washout courses in Lafayette are worth checking out if it hasn't rained the day before. Theyre both in the same property. Murdock Park is a fun park course too if you're into that style.

I've heard Lemon Lake complex in Crown Point is still good if not what it used to be. Haven't played it myself but I'm hoping to get up there eventually.

Appreciate the info. It'll be in May so I'll have to keep that in mind for Wabash if it rained recently.

I've played Lemon lake gold, red and the old layout of the blue course. I really enjoyed that complex. Would definitely recommend it. If Wabash doesn't work out I may have hit up the other 2 at Lemon lake.

i will be following this closely to hear about about reviews as i want to make a somewhat similar trip soon as well

looks awesome and im excited for you (and mrs wolfhaley)

i will be following this closely to hear about about reviews as i want to make a somewhat similar trip soon as well

looks awesome and im excited for you (and mrs wolfhaley)

Yeah I'll absolutely keep you updated. Plenty of pics will be taken I'm sure. I'm pretty excited about this one for sure.

I'm not sure what you drive or how you are traveling, but if you like cars/driving, Fontana Village is worth adding a day.

Well I'll actually have 12 days off for this trip, probably be on the road for 11 of them. The first 6 days should remain the same. Probably 7 even. May try to sneak in some Cincy area courses with the extra day. Hidden Ridge hopefully. Waiting to find out about that one. Osage Grove and maybe one of the state parks in S. OH. Also Thinking about the 2 Armco courses in KY.

A new course in Cherokee NC will be open by then, so keep your eye out for it. Cherokee may be too far out of your way, though.

May is usually the last month for play at Hidden Ridge so you should be in good shape.

It appears you liked Lincoln Ridge and Idlewild so I suspect you'll enjoy Hidden Ridge as well. When I set out putting this place together my goal was to hit a difficulty somewhere between the two and I feel like I've achieved that. Now I'm in the process of pushing a gold level layout and adding some better infrastructure (concrete teepads, benches, bridges etc.).

It's always cool meeting more DGCR folks so I hope it works out.

im surprised you arent spending moar time in charlotte

I'm not spending any time in Charlotte actually. That'll be a whole different trip entirely. Lots of mountain golf on this one.

Might need to find another option for day five, Highland Hills. My understanding is that it is currently not being maintained and missing at least three baskets. [emoji53] PM me. Plenty of other options. [emoji106][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May is usually the last month for play at Hidden Ridge so you should be in good shape.

It appears you liked Lincoln Ridge and Idlewild so I suspect you'll enjoy Hidden Ridge as well. When I set out putting this place together my goal was to hit a difficulty somewhere between the two and I feel like I've achieved that. Now I'm in the process of pushing a gold level layout and adding some better infrastructure (concrete teepads, benches, bridges etc.).

It's always cool meeting more DGCR folks so I hope it works out.

It's looking like mid May sometime. I loved Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge, so I'm sure I'll love Hidden Ridge too. The pictures look amazing. I've had my eye on it for awhile. Can't wait to play it.

Might need to find another option for day five, Highland Hills. My understanding is that it is currently not being maintained and missing at least three baskets. [emoji53] PM me. Plenty of other options. [emoji106][emoji41]

I was curious about that actually. I may have to skip that one then. The other 2 will probably be enough anyway. I'll still have a whole week after that so might by smart to take it a little easier that day. 👍

I don't see you playing those three courses on Day 3. Be content with Harmon and one more. Spend another night in the Tri-cities and pick up Warriors and Sugar Hollow to avoid backtracking. Unless you just want to stay in Boone, it's alot of extra driving to Sugaree and North Cove.

I don't see you playing those three courses on Day 3. Be content with Harmon and one more. Spend another night in the Tri-cities and pick up Warriors and Sugar Hollow to avoid backtracking. Unless you just want to stay in Boone, it's alot of extra driving to Sugaree and North Cove.

Yeah it was a lot on that day. What do think of the North Cove courses. Those were just if I had time, but it's doubtful. Sugaree, Harmon, Warrior's, Ashe and winged Deer are the priorities.

Yeah it was a lot on that day. What do think of the North Cove courses. Those were just if I had time, but it's doubtful. Sugaree, Harmon, Warrior's, Ashe and winged Deer are the priorities.
I haven't played North Cove, but I do know it is beautiful and very open. Depends what you are looking for. Don't sleep on WV...

I haven't played North Cove, but I do know it is beautiful and very open. Depends what you are looking for. Don't sleep on WV...

I'm planning on 5 WV courses. The 3 listed and Rotary park and Indian Rock. WV is beautiful.

Latest posts