• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

wolfhaley to TN/NC and back

Alright, Booked the rooms so it's official now. (except where I stay in IN on day 11)

Day 1: Driving to Shelbyville KY. No disc, just driving.

Day 2: Driving to Morristown TN
Panther Creek- 18 holes
Morristown Kiwanis- 18 holes

Day 3: To Johnson City TN
Harmon Hills- 27 holes
Warrior's Path- 27 holes

Maybe something else, Sugar Hollow if anything.

Day 4: Johnson City TN
Sugaree- Lots of holes!!!
Winged Deer- 18 holes

This is all speculative at best right now. If all goes amazing, this is the plan.

Day 5: Johnson City TN
Backup Sugaree/Winged Deer day.

If I hit all on the first 4 days, maybe Steele Creek and/or Borden Park. Maybe.

Day 6: To Wilkesboro NC
Ashe County Park- 18 holes
Ramcat- 22 holes

Day 7: To Charleston WV
Ft. Hamby- 18 holes
Rolling Pines- 18 holes
Glenwood park- 18 holes

Day 8: To Huntington WV
Valley Park- 18 holes
Indian Rock- 18 holes
Rotary Park- 18 holes

Day 9: To Dry Ridge KY
Armco Park-White- 19 holes
Armco Park Blue- 18 holes

Day 10: To Springboro OH
Hidden Ridge- 18 holes
Osage Grove- 24 holes

Day 11: To somewhere in IN :D
Echo Valley- 18 holes
Caeser Ford Championship- 18 holes

Day 12: Home
Take a nap- 1-8 hours

This is still the plan. Weather is looking promising for the first part at least (knocks on wood). Had the wife book us a round at Harmon cuz I don't have Paypal, reached out to Mando for Sugaree. Good to go there. Looking forward to meeting Hampy and nothinbuttree in OH too. And Hidden ridge has been on my radar for a long time. Looks unbelievable, stoked to be able to play it while it's still open for the season. Should catch it in it's prime. :thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:

This is still the plan...
Wolfhaley,

What is the date and day of the week that you will be at Sugaree?

You should ask Rich if he can get you on to play Black Jack. Black Jack is my #2 Top Favorite NC course but it's mostly closed (perhaps all but closed?? I haven't been there in a few years).

Wolfhaley,

What is the date and day of the week that you will be at Sugaree?

You should ask Rich if he can get you on to play Black Jack. Black Jack is my #2 Top Favorite NC course but it's mostly closed (perhaps all but closed?? I haven't been there in a few years).

It'll be next Tuesday. Wednesday if the weather doesn't cooperate, but it's looking good for Tuesday. I've heard nothing but great things about Black Jack. I'll see what I can find out but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Unfortunately Hidden Ridge is a no go. Was looking forward to that one. Oh well, there's tons of other courses I've never played over that way. Looking at Stonelick probably.

kinda bummed i didnt hear about black jack when i was out there

nice line up

cant wait to hear about them

also starting off with panther creek when youre a flatlander puts a smile on my face

kinda bummed i didnt hear about black jack when i was out there

nice line up

cant wait to hear about them

also starting off with panther creek when youre a flatlander puts a smile on my face

Black Jack is very hard to get into. It'd be awesome to play it, but tbh I probably wouldn't really have time anyway.

Panther creek first is just how it worked out. Not sure if I'll be smiling afterwards 😁

Black Jack is very hard to get into. It'd be awesome to play it, but tbh I probably wouldn't really have time anyway.

Panther creek first is just how it worked out. Not sure if I'll be smiling afterwards 😁

take a close look at the spiral technique they used for course design

im pretty sure its utilized to minimize erosion rather than the standard straight up/down

Unfortunately Hidden Ridge is a no go. Was looking forward to that one. Oh well, there's tons of other courses I've never played over that way. Looking at Stonelick probably.

Still sounds like a great trip. Hoping to hit Stonelick, Echo Valley, and/or Caesar Ford later this year, so as always your prolific reviews are greatly appreciated!

Alright, Booked the rooms so it's official now. (except where I stay in IN on day 11)

. . .

Day 11: To somewhere in IN
Echo Valley- 18 holes
Caeser Ford Championship- 18 holes

Boylan Acres is right on your way home, and looks promising despite the abundance of drive-by reviews. :\

Deming Park is another option, supposed to have an old-school vibe in keeping with a course that dates to 1984.

If you are willing to add an extra hour's drive at the end of a long trip, I think you would enjoy Mastodon DGC in Fort Wayne. I found Mastodon to be a fun, woodsy spin the day after NoBo and a long drive.

This is still the plan. Weather is looking promising for the first part at least (knocks on wood). Had the wife book us a round at Harmon cuz I don't have Paypal, reached out to Mando for Sugaree. Good to go there. Looking forward to meeting Hampy and nothinbuttree in OH too. And Hidden ridge has been on my radar for a long time. Looks unbelievable, stoked to be able to play it while it's still open for the season. Should catch it in it's prime. :thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:

If you have an interest--Johnny Sias designed Armco, Valley Park and I think Rotary too--he has two home courses just south of Huntington. Very wooded and tough, but he is a joy to play with. Courses are called Lucky 8 and Crazy 8. In case you had a free minute in there. :)

If you have an interest--Johnny Sias designed Armco, Valley Park and I think Rotary too--he has two home courses just south of Huntington. Very wooded and tough, but he is a joy to play with. Courses are called Lucky 8 and Crazy 8. In case you had a free minute in there. :)

Yeah I definitely looked at those 2 courses. Not sure how much time (or energy) I'll have. It's on the radar though.

Still sounds like a great trip. Hoping to hit Stonelick, Echo Valley, and/or Caesar Ford later this year, so as always your prolific reviews are greatly appreciated!

Boylan Acres is right on your way home, and looks promising despite the abundance of drive-by reviews. :\

Deming Park is another option, supposed to have an old-school vibe in keeping with a course that dates to 1984.

If you are willing to add an extra hour's drive at the end of a long trip, I think you would enjoy Mastodon DGC in Fort Wayne. I found Mastodon to be a fun, woodsy spin the day after NoBo and a long drive.

Meeting Hampy at either Echo Valley or Caeser Ford (or both) then heading all the way over to Joliet so I'll probably just bag something right off the highway if anything else that day. We'll probably be thoroughly wiped by that point though 😁

Yeah I definitely looked at those 2 courses. Not sure how much time (or energy) I'll have. It's on the radar though.

Armco white was my home course for 3 years. Surprisingly challenging for it's short length. Some teepads are sloped, be careful. You'll have almost no lies or putts from open flat ground. VERY hilly courses. Blue is long even from short tees. Valley park is my favorite in the area, great opening 2 holes. Rotary very nice too-the most open of the bunch but still about 50-50. Indian rock. Phew. Very rugged. Vicious rough- fairways are your friends. Love hole 3 there.

Meeting Hampy at either Echo Valley or Caeser Ford (or both) then heading all the way over to Joliet so I'll probably just bag something right off the highway if anything else that day. We'll probably be thoroughly wiped by that point though 😁

Useless fact(?) of the day: Some people around here refer to Joliet as Joi-let. Those people aren't disc golfers though.

Useless fact(?) of the day: Some people around here refer to Joliet as Joi-let. Those people aren't disc golfers though.
Like rhymes with toi-let...

I keed....

Played my first out of state tournament @ West Park like back in '85...
Was td'd by Hall of Famer and true DG legend and gentlemen Gary Lewis.

Even if you don't do full reviews on all the courses on your trip, hope you can drop a few thoughts on some/most of them! I am familiar with a good chunk of them, hope you have time to give your $.02 on them, would love to hear your thoughts. No pressure. :)

Just now really going through the thread in its entirety, not sure how I missed it earlier.

If your schedule changes and you have some time near Charleston, I would recommend Redeemer too--it is quite unique. Even if just playing the main 18 (the 'middle 9' is just your typical WV woods golf--you will get that at Indian Rock). Do not count on the shop being open--in the 8 times I went there, shop was only open twice, even during typical weekday daytime hours. IF you play, mind the back nine--I have seen a disc roll 500' (yes five hundred feet) down that hill. Took 20 minutes to find, retrieve, and get back to the hole we were playing--can you say 're-tee'?. The back nine plays literally out and back across the side of a large hill. But since most holes play across it, elevation is not a huge issue (except holes 9, 10 and 11, pretty big ups, all in a row).

Just now really going through the thread in its entirety, not sure how I missed it earlier.

If your schedule changes and you have some time near Charleston, I would recommend Redeemer too--it is quite unique. Even if just playing the main 18 (the 'middle 9' is just your typical WV woods golf--you will get that at Indian Rock). Do not count on the shop being open--in the 8 times I went there, shop was only open twice, even during typical weekday daytime hours. IF you play, mind the back nine--I have seen a disc roll 500' (yes five hundred feet) down that hill. Took 20 minutes to find, retrieve, and get back to the hole we were playing--can you say 're-tee'?. The back nine plays literally out and back across the side of a large hill. But since most holes play across it, elevation is not a huge issue (except holes 9, 10 and 11, pretty big ups, all in a row).

I'll definitely consider Redeemer. I've heard lots of good things about it. There's too many nice looking options on that route. I was I had more time.