• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Glow discs in daylight

rooktheklown

Bogey Member
Sorry if this has been asked before, I did a few searches and came up empty.

If you use a glow disc continually in the daylight, will it impede the disc's ability to glow later on? I'm specifically asking in regards to Discraft's Glow Z plastic.

I'm about to pick up a Glow Z Stalker (Marshall Street has 20% off glow this month), and I've never thrown a Stalker before. I was thinking about taking it out on a couple regular rounds first to get used to it, but not if it's going to kill the glow for later.

It will a little bit at first but then over the lifespan it will barley glow.

How long does glow plastic glow between recharges?

A guy at Disc Golf Station said the Discraft stuff glows for about 30 minutes on a good charge before you really can't see it glow any more.

You shouldn't have to worry about it affecting the glow any more than having the disc sit around. I have a few discs that are staples in my normal bag and still glow just fine at night.

How long does glow plastic glow between recharges?

A guy at Disc Golf Station said the Discraft stuff glows for about 30 minutes on a good charge before you really can't see it glow any more.

30 minutes is about right for new discs. I generally charge mine every other throw or off every tee just to be safe though.

I've heard that old wives tale about daylight killing the glow before, and I don't buy it. I have a wristband that is glow in the dark, and I wear it out in sunlight all the time, for a year now, and it still glows as bright as ever. I also use a glow Ion and it is uneffected as well.

OP-Hope that Glow Stalker is enough to hold you over until the Ti Stalker comes out.

What do you guys use to 'charge' the glow on your discs during a round? I bought a small, battery-powered blacklight, but it doesn't do a great job. Thinking about switching to a blacklight LED flashlight. I've stuck with blacklights so far because I don't want to ruin my or my opponents' night vision. We have a no flashlights rule for the same reasons.

What do you guys use to 'charge' the glow on your discs during a round? I bought a small, battery-powered blacklight, but it doesn't do a great job. Thinking about switching to a blacklight LED flashlight. I've stuck with blacklights so far because I don't want to ruin my or my opponents' night vision. We have a no flashlights rule for the same reasons.

No flashlight rule during a glow round? I understand that you don't want to ruin your night vision, but I've played plenty of glow rounds and I don't think the flashlights make that big of a difference.

Maybe make an exception to the rule to allow flashlights for charging the discs ONLY while walking to the next hole?

Another alternative to the glow plastic.......I have used plenty of small LED's like these ones taped to the disc with clear duct tape. Innova Champ plastic usually works best so you can tape them to the bottom. Even when placed on top for non-see thru plastic, they do not affect the flight.

This is the best flashlight to use: 395 nM 51 UV Ultraviolet LED flashlight Blacklight 3 AA, 7202UV395. It's small and really charges the disc.

My buddy has a couple LED blacklights, and they work well. I think his has like 50 LEDs in it, and is pretty high-intensity.

Put red gels over your flashlights(or buy red lights) and it won't kill your night-sight.

Any of the UV/blacklight (395 nM) flashlights work great. I have the 21 LED one on amazon and it charges em up just fine and isn't too bulky, it takes 3 AAA's. I'm sure the one MikePinchico suggested would be great also.

In my experience innova champ plastic (don't throw much discraft so i don't know about z) generally holds a charge longer than standard innova DX glo but i usually end up charging before each drive. My beat up old glow wizard (used to be my main putter, seen tons of daylight rounds) still holds a charge longer than new champ glo.

I carry a champ glow valk in my regular bag it it still glows fine. Also have a superglow wizard and yeah that stuff definitely holds a better glow than champ or z.
The only glow discs I have long term concerns about are my mvp. All of a discs permanent dirt marks, tree discoloration, etc take place along the rim which is the case with my wizard and the only area on my wizard that has a hard time glowing is the outer rim.

Thanks for the info, you all have been great. I've been sitting on a Glow Buzzz (getting it dyed before using it), and I picked up a BuzzzSS for normal rounds. Now I know I can throw both in daylight, as well as the Stalker I'll be grabbing.

I like all the info on flashlights too. I was looking at a 9 LED light on amazon (super-cheap), now I know to grab at least a 21 LED.

Curious....you guys specified the 395Nm wavelength. Is there a reason for that? I've been thinking about buying a decent UV light for scorpions and other nighttime fun, and 395 is totally wrong for that purpose. The higher wavelengths are generally the cheapie bulbs and are less powerful, but I'm just wondering if you've found that 395 works better for discs?

My input on the plastic is that it's fine. I have an old disc from probably 2002-ish and it's darkened a little bit but still glows decently. I do have some other glow plastics in other products that are really similar to dx, and they've taken on a grey to dark grey color over the years with a lot of sunlight exposure...they don't glow much at all anymore and it fades really fast. I don't see that happening to a disc with normal outside usage...I wouldn't leave it in the car window or in the backyard, though.

Dsplayname;1229223 ~ "I've heard that old wives tale about daylight killing the glow before, and I don't buy it. I have a wristband that is glow in the dark, and I wear it out in sunlight all the time, for a year now, and it still glows as bright as ever..."

I've only used my glo's a few times at night. They don't stay bright for very long but they will glo somewhat for a while.

I wish they could glow longer. OASN, my young kids used some of those sticky glow stars (art's and craft's store kind with different colors) and stuck they on some rocks and gave it to me as a fathers day gift almost two years ago. Those rocks have been outside for almost 700 days now and still glowing strong. When I leave for work around 6am, they're still glowing nice and bright. I'm not gonna stick them on my discs or anything but would love to have that type of glow from discs. How hard could it be?

I also dyed a glo buzzz orange hoping I could get a dayglo orange instead of the green but it was a fail and a half. At least I can use it for snow rounds now, if we do get snow this year. Crazy.

Last edited:
Another alternative to the glow plastic.......I have used plenty of small LED's like these ones taped to the disc with clear duct tape. Innova Champ plastic usually works best so you can tape them to the bottom. Even when placed on top for non-see thru plastic, they do not affect the flight.[/QUOTE]

The LED Lights are amazing. They work much better than glow discs. IMO unless you do a poor job of taping them on

Oklahyzer - the 395 nm was cheep. it charges discs but maybe a lower wavelength would work better..?

Thanks for the flashlight tips, that is what I needed.

I also tape on LEDs and batteries, for my non-glow discs. But for my superglow Wizard, and a few other favorite molds I have in glow plastic, I feel silly taping LEDs onto a disc that should already glow if I have the right tools. Plus I save time not having to assemble the lights and tape them on.