• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Go with the FLOW

discspeed said:
When the SPD2 comes out I'll be all over that and I anticipate it will fill that gap perfectly, especially when a little seasoned.
If it comes out. They showed more interest in the idea of a P-TD than an S-PD2...

I just weighed my new GL Flow...I forgot to weight it at the store. The sticker said 175, but after throwing some tailwind bombs that seemed to glide forever yesterday I suspected it may be a little light. Surprisingly it was 175.6g. That's not a weight I would have picked out to be a good tailwind disc for me, but I'll take it. Even better, at that weight it's going to fly similarly across wind conditions.

jubuttib said:
discspeed said:
When the SPD2 comes out I'll be all over that and I anticipate it will fill that gap perfectly, especially when a little seasoned.
If it comes out. They showed more interest in the idea of a P-TD than an S-PD2...

PTD might be sick...but an SPD2 would be even better. It's such a nice mold, it's a shame that it's going to take forever to break in a Champion one. That's the only reason I want them in S. Oh well. It will happen eventually I'm sure. Especially since I predict a good deal of the Innova touring pros will be taking a liking to them.

discspeed said:
I just weighed my new GL Flow...I forgot to weight it at the store. The sticker said 175, but after throwing some tailwind bombs that seemed to glide forever yesterday I suspected it may be a little light. Surprisingly it was 175.6g. That's not a weight I would have picked out to be a good tailwind disc for me, but I'll take it. Even better, at that weight it's going to fly similarly across wind conditions.

I haven't had a chance to get into a field to really play with my flows yet (still snow on the ground) but the couple times I've tried a downwind shot with my GL it didn't perform very well. I have much better results throwing slower discs like a Vision or a River downwind. Am I wrong to assume that the speed of the disc plays a bigger role with headwind/tailwind situations than weight?

discspeed said:
jubuttib said:
discspeed said:

PTD might be sick...but an SPD2 would be even better. It's such a nice mold, it's a shame that it's going to take forever to break in a Champion one. That's the only reason I want them in S. Oh well. It will happen eventually I'm sure. Especially since I predict a good deal of the Innova touring pros will be taking a liking to them.
P-TD might be sick, that's why I suggested it. They said that they're going to release the D-TD at some point this year, but they're considering the P-TD as well.

D-TD interests me in theory but chances are it's going to mold up less stable than the Cs which would really limit its lifespan.

It'd be an out of the box flippy driver, similar to DX Sidewinder etc. There's a place for that sort of disc, but it's not going to be a game changer.

The d-td will be a fun disc, but nothing an advanced player will keep in his bag I'm guessing, for sure will have fun with it. Sorry to go off-topic, but I love me some flows. I have a couple of opto pink max weights that are dead straight to 400-430', and a GL that's practically as HSS. Love em!

I'm setting aside my Flows for now. I may go back to them, but here was my thought process:

Got in my domey 173 GL Flow, found that it was not stable enough to be a headwind/forehand max D driver even at my altitude. Darn.

Picked up a Z Force to fill the void. Dang, this thing flies straighter than I thought...easy to get to 400' on a flat w/fade or hyzer line.

Ok, I guess my Flows will just be for wide open max D then. But wait, I just put a little OAT on that Force and it flew 450', just as far as my Flows. And when it beats in... But it needed a little more left/right space to get there.

So, I guess I need to start working my Flows for max D on tighter courses. Can I shape a line with my Flows? Can I minimize the fade if I need to? Well...kind of. But when I fail, I'm pretty far off the beaten path. Probably not worth it, I'm much better with Eagles at 400'.

Ok, maybe I'll just stick to Eagles for anything that requires some shaping, and Forces for anything out in the open. But you know, I can shape a Valk similarly to an Eagle and still get a little more distance. Maybe I'll throw my champy Stars back in the bag, I love the feel of those.

Wait, I just threw that Valk 470'.

RIP Flows.

Yeah, your post about your pink Opto Flows being super straight was much more insightful :lol:

emiller3 said:
I'm setting aside my Flows for now. I may go back to them, but here was my thought process:

Got in my domey 173 GL Flow, found that it was not stable enough to be a headwind/forehand max D driver even at my altitude. Darn.

Picked up a Z Force to fill the void. Dang, this thing flies straighter than I thought...easy to get to 400' on a flat w/fade or hyzer line.

Ok, I guess my Flows will just be for wide open max D then. But wait, I just put a little OAT on that Force and it flew 450', just as far as my Flows. And when it beats in... But it needed a little more left/right space to get there.

So, I guess I need to start working my Flows for max D on tighter courses. Can I shape a line with my Flows? Can I minimize the fade if I need to? Well...kind of. But when I fail, I'm pretty far off the beaten path. Probably not worth it, I'm much better with Eagle/ at 400'.

Ok, maybe I'll just stick to Eagles for anything that requires some shaping, and Forces for anything out in the open. But you know, I can shape a Valk similarly to an Eagle and still get a little more distance. Maybe I'll throw my champy Stars back in the bag, I love the feel of those.

Wait, I just threw that Valk 470'.

RIP Flows.

That might make sense in your head... :-? I can't see how you compare a Flow to a Force, Valk, or Eagle. The Flow should not be competing in any way with any of those discs. The Force requires a completely different throwing style (flat and hard) than a Flow (smooth/hyzer)...Two similar speed discs couldn't be more different. The Flow has a similar flight line to a Valk, only it has to fly 50'+ farther to show it. Otherwise the Flow is many steps faster. The Eagle is as close to an Ion as it is to a Flow. Minimalism can be taken too far...symptoms include comparing very different discs for the same slot. :lol:

Either I'm not being clear, you guys are blinded by your Flow love, or (most likely) both :wink: . I'm not trying to pick a fight with Flow throwers, just trying to explain why I can't find a place for the Flow in my bag.

Let me try again. I can throw the Flow very far on open fields and on low lines. Good. But when I've got OB left (LHBH), I get nervous that it will flip and won't come back. I also can't reliably throw it in a headwind, or overhand, or forehand, which are all important to me. With the Force, I can still throw very far on open fields, plus I have the confidence that I can anny it or OAT it and I know it's coming back, and it's great for forehands, overhands and headwinds.

So, when am I going to use the Flow for max D? Maybe on a hole with OB right, dogleg left, or just a tight fairway in general. My experience has been that I'm better off discing down to an Eagle and staying on the fairway in those cases. The Valk has always been a very workable and forgiving distance disc for me, so I'd considering throwing it as well.

I re-read my post...I don't see where you think I was comparing the flight of those discs. I thought it was clear that I was contrasting them, and from a very general shot-making perspective vice your typical disc-testing perspective. In fact, some of the differences you mention are exactly what I thought I was conveying. I must not have been clear.

And minimalism isn't an issue here, I'm replacing 2 Flows with 2 Valks and a Force...

The only reason I can think of right now that would make me put the Flows back in the bag is if I'm getting significantly better D with them than the Force or Valk. I know that I get more D with it than the Valk, but I'm on the fairway a lot more with the Valk, so is it worth it? That's what I aim to find out.

403' s-curve so nice!!! Long annies too to 390' which i think is my anny record for a non 150 classer and reliable flexing out of the anny even out of more than just a few degrees. Meaning it is controllable in various anny angles for me and loooong. Surprisingly long for the rim width. It's sneaky long in s-curves just like people are surprised by TLs on s-curves except scaled up in speed and D. Not that long today for some reason on flat throws like my Beast. Something has changed in my throwing because i don't flip Rocs any more and Beasts and Flows act a little more LSS than before. Other discs not changing much except for all mids going longer on average and good D out of warp speed discs. And fewer flips and of less magnitude than ever before.

I've been throwing my Halo's and Flow's quite a bit more lately and I think I might change them up a little on my flight guide. I still think the "good" opto Flow's are some of the straightest long distance drivers I've ever thrown but I've been noticing a little bit of high speed turn and a fairly hefty fade at the very end lately. Nose angle has been a bitch for me with the Flow, you mess that up and give it any sort of nose up and you can say hello airball. I also can't believe the variation I've been seeing in the Gold Lines, I've got one that's as stable or more over stable than my prized Opto and I've got a pretty blue Gold Line that's flippier than a DX sidewinder.

Since the snow let up i've been throwing my Halo and Flow side by side every time I use one or the other and i'm quite pleased with both of their performances. For level ground and inclined shots I think i'm digging my 160-169g range Halo's more for D, but if there's any kind of decline in elevation to the shot It's definitely Flow time. I wouldn't say there's any sort of significant advantage that one has over the other in distance but the Halo is definitely taking up more side to side room on a drive. I finished the season last year thinking the Flow was the clear distance winner for me over my Halo's, now... I'm not so sure...

what'shisname said:
discspeed said:

I haven't had a chance to get into a field to really play with my flows yet (still snow on the ground) but the couple times I've tried a downwind shot with my GL it didn't perform very well. I have much better results throwing slower discs like a Vision or a River downwind. Am I wrong to assume that the speed of the disc plays a bigger role with headwind/tailwind situations than weight?

I had a chance to try a downwind shot with my GL flow the other day and experienced much better results this time. It netted me one of my longest drives ever in fact.

Really liking the GL for big annys as well lately. The fields are almost dry enough to get out on now and I can't wait to get some time out there with the Opto and GL to really see what i can do with them.

emiller3 said:
Either I'm not being clear, you guys are blinded by your Flow love, or (most likely) both :wink: . I'm not trying to pick a fight with Flow throwers, just trying to explain why I can't find a place for the Flow in my bag.

Let me try again. I can throw the Flow very far on open fields and on low lines. Good. But when I've got OB left (LHBH), I get nervous that it will flip and won't come back. I also can't reliably throw it in a headwind, or overhand, or forehand, which are all important to me. With the Force, I can still throw very far on open fields, plus I have the confidence that I can anny it or OAT it and I know it's coming back, and it's great for forehands, overhands and headwinds.

So, when am I going to use the Flow for max D? Maybe on a hole with OB right, dogleg left, or just a tight fairway in general. My experience has been that I'm better off discing down to an Eagle and staying on the fairway in those cases. The Valk has always been a very workable and forgiving distance disc for me, so I'd considering throwing it as well.

I re-read my post...I don't see where you think I was comparing the flight of those discs. I thought it was clear that I was contrasting them, and from a very general shot-making perspective vice your typical disc-testing perspective. In fact, some of the differences you mention are exactly what I thought I was conveying. I must not have been clear.

And minimalism isn't an issue here, I'm replacing 2 Flows with 2 Valks and a Force...

The only reason I can think of right now that would make me put the Flows back in the bag is if I'm getting significantly better D with them than the Force or Valk. I know that I get more D with it than the Valk, but I'm on the fairway a lot more with the Valk, so is it worth it? That's what I aim to find out.

Sorry about the harsh tone in my post, it was not intentional. This one will be much more constructive. :D

I do, of course, think that the Flow is the best straight/workable distance driver on the market. Speed comes at the price of consistency in terms of flight lines with turning drivers, and the Flow is as fast a disc as I've thrown that was still as predictable as speed 9/10/11 discs. I don't throw them it strong headwinds, but I have no trouble throwing shots that turn and fade without worry (especially my Opto Flow).

Do you not have even more trouble throwing your Valk without it turning? If not, then your Flows are different from mine.

Also, in my experience with Flows and Forces, the Force must be thrown much harder to go the same distance as a Flow. If you are throwing a Force more or less the same way as a Flow and they are going similar distances then you've got a freak disc (either the Flow or Force). I stopped throwing Forces because I got tired of having to throw them so hard to get the lines I was looking for, and once I beat them it they were not predictable. It's a good stable distance disc, but it's only good at flat to hyzer shots imo. I definitely think the Flow should be paired with something more stable though...I like the PD2.

I know you are at altitude as well, so that probably changes things, maybe making it more difficult to get less turn and fade than I experience here at sea level in high humidity. I also don't know what kinds of lines you are throwing at your home courses.

Jeronimo said:
I've been throwing my Halo's and Flow's quite a bit more lately and I think I might change them up a little on my flight guide. I still think the "good" opto Flow's are some of the straightest long distance drivers I've ever thrown but I've been noticing a little bit of high speed turn and a fairly hefty fade at the very end lately. Nose angle has been a bitch for me with the Flow, you mess that up and give it any sort of nose up and you can say hello airball. I also can't believe the variation I've been seeing in the Gold Lines, I've got one that's as stable or more over stable than my prized Opto and I've got a pretty blue Gold Line that's flippier than a DX sidewinder.

Since the snow let up i've been throwing my Halo and Flow side by side every time I use one or the other and i'm quite pleased with both of their performances. For level ground and inclined shots I think i'm digging my 160-169g range Halo's more for D, but if there's any kind of decline in elevation to the shot It's definitely Flow time. I wouldn't say there's any sort of significant advantage that one has over the other in distance but the Halo is definitely taking up more side to side room on a drive. I finished the season last year thinking the Flow was the clear distance winner for me over my Halo's, now... I'm not so sure...

I found the Halo to be much more nose angle sensitive than the Flow as it is faster, has less glide, and gets more turn and fade. So it seems strange to me that you have nose angle problems with your Flow.

My Optos (pink, max weight, domey) have a little turn and a good fade. They have much more LSS than any GL I've thrown both in consistency and magnitude. I love these characteristics as I use this disc more or less as my line shaping D driver. The GLs are straighter with more gradual movement for me, regardless of stability. I've noticed a little variability in the GL as well...My new GLs (purplish color) are +.5 more stable all around than my silver GLs were. The new ones are stiffer and domier though, so it's no surprise.

Performance wise I'm happier with the Flow than I've been with any distance driver since I used to throw Orcs. I've been using Flows for a fairly long time now (long enough for the "crush" phase to have faded) and I'm still enamored with what I can do with them and how consistently they perform for me. It can do low ceilings as well as faster discs and can air out better than faster discs. Between my GLs and Optos I can throw various hyzers, straight/S-turn, and anhyzers shots better than I've ever been able to do with any other distance mold. I keep trying every new thing that comes out, but nothing has tempted me much since the Flow has been in my bag.

I have a domey white GL Flow and a flatter blue GL Flow. The blue Flow is just like all the other blue ones documented here, it flips easily.

My home course is densely wooded and long. There are four par 4's and a par 5 that can require some creative distance lines. It's also windy a lot, there are some nice overhand routes, and you can typically get stuck with a lie that favors forehands a couple times a round. The Flow does not feel nearly as workable there as it did when I initially got it and played the other two local courses which are much more open.

You've given me a couple reasons to consider keeping the Flow in the bag. I'm at a point where the Valk suits my game, maybe that's all it is right now.

emiller3 said:
I have a domey white GL Flow and a flatter blue GL Flow. The blue Flow is just like all the other blue ones documented here, it flips easily.

Ah, that's telling me something right there. I've tested a lot of Flows...Those blues are probably the least stable of all of them...And the whites...I picked up one of those and it's the most stable and glideless Flow I've thrown, yet it still flips in some wind. Neither of those discs possess the "magic" that you can get out of a Flow. Try an Opto or a purple, silver, or gold GL (basically one with some dome that's NOT white).

BTW, anyone notice that the plain white GL plastic is a little different regardless of the disc? These seem to be the most stable and glideless of all colors in several molds I've tried them in (River and Flow). And they are just so ugly compared to Latitude's other plastic...I've seen pearly white Halos that looked sweet, but I hate the just plain white GLs.

Latest posts