• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Go with the FLOW

ForeverBlue232 said:
what'shisname said:
The gl's are definitely not as domey as the optos though, definitely not as stable or reliable into a wind as the optos.

The purple w/gray swirl GL Flow I had was just as domey as my domey Opto. It was fantastic because it had the same glide as the Opto, but was just a little less stable. It was kind of like a de-flashed Opto that's been used for a few rounds. I may experiment until I get down to Clearwater next, sometime this summer. I've only ever seen the blue be flat. What colors are the most domey in Flows?

I've always found my GL's to have more glide than the Optos. I'm happy to hear there are other domey GL's though. The yellow ones I have are great, but I really didn't like the flat blue one I had.

Still loving the flows overall.

ForeverBlue232 said:
what'shisname said:
The gl's are definitely not as domey as the optos though, definitely not as stable or reliable into a wind as the optos.

The purple w/gray swirl GL Flow I had was just as domey as my domey Opto. It was fantastic because it had the same glide as the Opto, but was just a little less stable. It was kind of like a de-flashed Opto that's been used for a few rounds. I may experiment until I get down to Clearwater next, sometime this summer. I've only ever seen the blue be flat. What colors are the most domey in Flows?

Those weird purple/grey/lavender ones are the best GLs. I've tried flat blues (really flippy), medium dome yellows(pretty darn flippy), domey white (too stable and slow imo), and then the ones mentioned above. I think we still have some @cdgs.

I think those domey GLs have just about as much HSS as the domey Optos, but with less LSS.

discspeed said:
ForeverBlue232 said:
what'shisname said:

Those weird purple/grey/lavender ones are the best GLs. I've tried flat blues (really flippy), medium dome yellows(pretty darn flippy), domey white (too stable and slow imo), and then the ones mentioned above. I think we still have some @cdgs.

I think those domey GLs have just about as much HSS as the domey Optos, but with less LSS.

Would these be the ones listed as silver on cdgs?

MizzouTiger26 said:
discspeed said:
ForeverBlue232 said:
what'shisname said:

Would these be the ones listed as silver on cdgs?

I'm not positive. I'll be in there soon and I'll let you know for sure.

Still loving my Gold GL (~173g) for consistent long D when I have to worry about accuracy...

it's a sneaky long disc.

Hoey said:
Still loving my Gold GL (~173g) for consistent long D when I have to worry about accuracy...

it's a sneaky long disc.

Wish I could say the same about mine. :( Damn thing is a turn and burn machine, even when thrown with tons of hyzer. I think I must have gotten a mutant.

Early royal blues were all like that. Low PLH and a flat top. A tall high PLH Opto doesn't turn on me at high power levels.

discspeed said:

Mike, if you have any of those purple/gray/lavender domey GL Flows, let me know and I will place an order if you can save one or four of them for me. :) When I was at the store last time, there were truly Silver GL Flows, and they were beautiful but flat as the Royal Blue GL's. Otherwise I would have gotten one back then. I think the only other Flows I saw there with dome were yellow. But seriously, I want me some purple swirl goodness, so let me know.

I've never bought the hype of any disc providing "instant distance" until now- recently purchased a used (maybe once) pink and domey Opto 168g flow and this thing launches! Sure, I've only thrown it about five times (not many holes require over 425') and every throw that doesn't hit a tree (oops) is easily the longest throw I've ever tossed (and the others woulda been). One factor is the relatively small rim for a distance driver doesn't tax my unmanly hands.

The good news is that you found the Flow. The bad is that it is the straightest thus longest out of the relatively friendly sized wings. Anything longer at this point is wider winged. There are wider winged discs that are longer and not much harder fading but light Vulcans are very understable at your power and you can kiss wind handling goodbye with those. Blizzards change the picture once enough molds get produced though. Beast is slower and has a thinner rim and it could match the Flow D in roughly the same HSS with less LSS in a suitable weight. We won't know until they come out. I was interested in Bliz Wraiths but didn't like what i heard from others here. The Flow in Opto with a tall dome and non drooping outer edge is Lat64 Wraith.

My flows have not fulfilled the hopes of a long range anny bomber for my 350ish power. Flat clear high plh pink opto in 170 and a lower plh slightly domier 168 gl. The opto has little to no turn. The gl still needs some testing, but at the moment a 167 low plh high dome pro destroyer is filling the intended role of the flows quite nicely. Right now carrying 7 destroyers! :O

tjh0188 said:
My flows have not fulfilled the hopes of a long range anny bomber for my 350ish power. Flat clear high plh pink opto in 170 and a lower plh slightly domier 168 gl. The opto has little to no turn. The gl still needs some testing, but at the moment a 167 low plh high dome pro destroyer is filling the intended role of the flows quite nicely. Right now carrying 7 destroyers! :O

If you want something slower and possibly easier to control, grab some Beasts in the new clear champ plastic and give them time to break in a little. It doesn't take much. I've got two right now that are working for me on all sorts of lines, complimented by a stable Wraith. The Flow and Destroyer could be too much.

I have actually given champ beasts a thought but wasn't sure about which variations of the mold would suit me. I have a 166 pro that I sorta like....

I know a lot of people like Pro Beasts. Here's what I would say - throw the Pro Beast in places where you would throw a Flow normally. If its too flippy, take it to a store and compare PLH and dome with a Champ or Star Beast. Stick with it for a few weeks to see what you like or don't like. Resist the urge to keep switching around.

End derail.

Found a nice selection of latitude stuff at a nearby bike world. Consequently bought a domey and lower parting line 171 GL flow. It is certainly more like the flow I envisioned when I thought of a faster river. Bagging it for trial as my flippy distance driver instead of having to cycle pro plastic in destroyers/wraiths/beasts. If it doesn't work out I'm probably just going to find a suitable beast and be done with it. Comparison pics incoming....

nuna4y3y.jpg
umavaju6.jpg

Latest posts