• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Go with the FLOW

I love it, Latitude takes the Opto's from domey(good) to flat (suck) and takes the Gold Lines from flat(suck) to domey(good).

Smyith said:
emiller3 said:
Flat = flippy

like bad flippy or only a lil flippy?
A lot flippy. But not squirely. At my high altitude, it's a good flippy. I'll be taking it to sea level next week, I suspect it'll be good for hyzer flip turnovers with some height but not much else.

Flat GL Fuses are definitely flippy, but they are my favorites. I use Buzzzes for most straight shots, so I want my Fuse to be purely understable. The flat GL gives me this stability as well as feeling a lot like my Buzzzes in the hand. Domey Fuses are much more Comet-like in stability and flight character.

discspeed, you're getting your Lat threads mixed up :wink:

As far as my bag goes, the new and seasoned Pro Destroyer are out, the E* Destroyer and Flow are back in, gonna see how much I like it. The Valk is still my distance driver for everything except wide open max D or hyzer max D.

171 GL Midnight Blue shift and a 172 poppy top Yellow Opto just arrived... testing these out alongside Champ/Star/DX Wraith and a SOLF. Any chance I could use both the Wraiths and Flows or is that excessive?

Peot said:
171 GL Midnight Blue shift and a 172 poppy top Yellow Opto just arrived... testing these out alongside Champ/Star/DX Wraith and a SOLF. Any chance I could use both the Wraiths and Flows or is that excessive?

They are pretty similar all around...Definitely in the same speed and stability class.

In my limited trial with one of these GL ones about a month ago, it has a notch more HSS, less LSS and a lot more glide than a Wraith. For someone who isn't ready for a Force/PD2 or something is a heavy, fresh premium plastic Wraith different enough from a Flow to be used in a more aggressive headwind?

Peot said:
In my limited trial with one of these GL ones about a month ago, it has a notch more HSS, less LSS and a lot more glide than a Wraith. For someone who isn't ready for a Force/PD2 or something is a heavy, fresh premium plastic Wraith different enough from a Flow to be used in a more aggressive headwind?

I'm not overly familiar with Wraiths but I do throw Flows for distance and wouldn't throw an Opto Flow in to a heavy headwind and wouldn't even think about the GL Flow into the wind. The Opto Flow will handle a decent wind, but when faced with heavy headwind I'll usually disc down to a stable SPD or if it's really windy and I need Max D I'll pull out the C-PD2.

what'shisname said:
Peot said:

I'm not overly familiar with Wraiths but I do throw Flows for distance and wouldn't throw an Opto Flow in to a heavy headwind and wouldn't even think about the GL Flow into the wind. The Opto Flow will handle a decent wind, but when faced with heavy headwind I'll usually disc down to a stable SPD or if it's really windy and I need Max D I'll pull out the C-PD2.

GL Flows are not inherently less HSS than Optos. I've had some domey GL Flows that actually penetrated the wind a little better than my optos...They were also 176g. All around the Flow is workable in 5-10mph headwinds, but not much more. This is not so different from the Wraith. There are runs of stiff, poppy top Star Wraiths that fare better into headwinds, but they are not easy to track down. If you have the arm for the Flow then you probably need something more stable to use for wind, and the same is true for the Wraith. Both are high speed turning drivers that fade late, and that's not necessarily a recipe for success in the wind.

discspeed said:
what'shisname said:
Peot said:

GL Flows are not inherently less HSS than Optos. I've had some domey GL Flows that actually penetrated the wind a little better than my optos...They were also 176g. All around the Flow is workable in 5-10mph headwinds, but not much more. This is not so different from the Wraith. There are runs of stiff, poppy top Star Wraiths that fare better into headwinds, but they are not easy to track down. If you have the arm for the Flow then you probably need something more stable to use for wind, and the same is true for the Wraith. Both are high speed turning drivers that fade late, and that's not necessarily a recipe for success in the wind.

Yeah. I never have any problem getting Flows up to speed. My GL I'd rate at a -2/1 and the Opto at a -1.5/1.5. I just got a 1.2 SOLF that I'm auditioning for my longer stable driver, and so far it's been easy to throw straight with a gradual, penetrating (I guess advertised) long fade. I think a Q might be better for stiffer winds, but I also had some success throwing a Z Pred for the first time today as well.

turso said:
@Discspeed

Did the deflashing of the FR opto flows make em lose just LSS or both HSS and LSS?

They lost both HSS and LSS, but the LSS was more noticeable.

Booter said:
Anybody want to give up any opaque pink or yellow opto flows? :)

Marshall St is drowning in those.

Actually, not sure about pinks... but yellows and blues for sure! The good opaques too, not the shitty clearish green/orange/pink flat top Flows that suck balls.

Booter said:
Anybody want to give up any opaque pink or yellow opto flows? :)

We still have a lot of them at Cleawater, some discounted as they were my field practice discs. I've moved on to the Sword.

I originally bought a clear Opto(172g) and a midnight blue gl(170). The opto seemed to be a little more overstable then I was hoping for, and quickly left the bag. I used the GL for about 6 months and it become too flippy. I switched to a new 170g blue gl and it while it was still pretty understable it wasnt as flippy. I hear a lot of people referencing that the midnight blue is the most understable of the bunch. I am considering switching to a VIP/TP combo of swords. The VIP seems really similar to my pro destroyers with moderate wear. I like the aspect that its stability won;t change quickly. The question is: Should I just make the jump to a different color flow, or give the Sword a go as my straight/slight turnover driver?

I've been eyeing the Flow as a max D driver. I've tried to read through some of the posts on here, but not quite sure if it's a good fit for me.

I picked up a 166 Star Archon with a really nice dome that seemed to almost hide the bump on the shoulder, but it's not a pop-top. I'm able to get it to 365' with no wind in the picture. I was getting my Star Teebirds out that far too, but on a much higher anny line, which is why I picked up a faster driver - lower lines, hyzer, same distance. The fade isn't what I would call "dumpy" as some have said, and the glide isn't all too bad, but definitely not like a River.

If my Archon is flying like this, would a Flow be just the same? Or might it fly better for me? I like the idea of having one mold for both distances slots in my bag (headwind and favorable/tailwind) and from what I have read, it sounds like a heavier Opto Flow and a lighter GL Flow might fit the bill.

Can anyone speak into this, considering my power level?

upchuck1383 said:
I originally bought a clear Opto(172g) and a midnight blue gl(170). The opto seemed to be a little more overstable then I was hoping for, and quickly left the bag. I used the GL for about 6 months and it become too flippy. I switched to a new 170g blue gl and it while it was still pretty understable it wasnt as flippy. I hear a lot of people referencing that the midnight blue is the most understable of the bunch. I am considering switching to a VIP/TP combo of swords. The VIP seems really similar to my pro destroyers with moderate wear. I like the aspect that its stability won;t change quickly. The question is: Should I just make the jump to a different color flow, or give the Sword a go as my straight/slight turnover driver?

All of the flows, opto and gl that I've thrown have been yellow except for one midnight blue gl. The midnight blue gl was waay flipper than the yellows. My gl yellows are my favorites, they have a nice predictable turn and a little fade to finish. The optos are more overstable and can handle a bit of head wind.

I ended up going with a sword combo and really enjoying it. More distance on tigher lines. I have kept my midnight blue flow in the bag, it makes a great distance turnover driver. I basically treat it as a really long river.

Latest posts