• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Golf Disc Durability Testing Video

I can't think of how many times I've reshaped a bent DX disc, everytime without losing the disc.

The video was interesting, but so were those commercials where different groups of people drove a Dodge Rams through a fireball to prove how tough the truck is. Or where a knife company puts it's knife in a vice and bends it to an absurd angle.

I do like my Ridge though.

One problem with comparing a Vibram putter to one in ESP, Star, Champ, or Elite-Z is that many like a putter due to it's grip. I think the video shows that you can have the durability of a premium disc with the grip of DX, Soft, or the like.

Then again I don't think I can play disc golf for 3 lifetimes and put that much abuse on a putter so the point is kind of moot (note: I put with putters, don't drive with them).

One problem with comparing a Vibram putter to one in ESP, Star, Champ, or Elite-Z is that many like a putter due to it's grip. I think the video shows that you can have the durability of a premium disc with the grip of DX, Soft, or the like.

Then again I don't think I can play disc golf for 3 lifetimes and put that much abuse on a putter so the point is kind of moot (note: I put with putters, don't drive with them).

Do you use your putters for approaches and drives as well? If I threw DX/Pro D putters I'd be replacing them every week.

Regarding putting "that much abuse" onto a putter, you are correct. But if you drive and/or approach with your putter (which I recommend people do if they can reach the basket), then we're talking one to three good tree hits before a standard plastic disc is warped beyond reliable.

I just finished the testing with a Champion, Star, ESP, SSS and X-Link disc. Threw each one of them 20 times skip shot into the road and skipping into a brick wall. X-Link wins again. I'll post the YouTube video later this week.

It is hard to see the significant knicks in the Champion, Star and ESP, but everyone that I have given them to has said the X-Link is barely scuffed at all and each of the others have knicks that would give a thrower pause. The SSS Wizard was not exactly circular after the third throw.

But to your overall point above, the fact that disc golfers used to have to choose grip OR durability. This was the point I was making. We have the same (or perhaps better) durability as the premium and most durable plastic discs AND we have the same (or perhaps better, especially in inclement weather) grip as the grippiest plastic discs. Clearly I am biased, but the testing is sound.

But if you drive and/or approach with your putter (which I recommend people do if they can reach the basket), then we're talking one to three good tree hits before a standard plastic disc is warped beyond reliable.
That is 100% BS unless you're talking about a disc not even worth throwing. I've been throwing medium and soft Wizards for 5 years now, hit countless trees and have yet to have one of them beat to anything I'd consider understable let alone "wapred beyond reliable." I had a grid stamped Aviar for a few months before that and even though I hit plenty of trees never saw a change in how it flew. I can honestly say I won't believe a single marketing blurb or comment about those discs after reading what I quoted above.

FWIW, I don't believe anything I read about Gateway discs that's posted by Gateway either, but obviously throw, enjoy and contiune to buy their discs.

As for the video, I agree that while it's sort of interesting, there's no useful information that actually pertains to disc golf in it. That's just not how those discs are used and I have discs that look as bad as some of the "thumbs down" discs but fly way better than the "thumbs up" discs I have.

Your point is worth noting. Some folks won't believe anything that a marketing guy says. Hopefully seeing it on video will help.

Which reminds me of the day and a half that I tried being a car salesman. If I could have stuck it out for two weeks I would have got a paycheck, but there was no way. Those fellas that I worked with were as bad as everyone says they are. But I digest ...

The point I am making is that the Vibram X-Link material is more durable than the discs it was tested against. And I will stick by the claim that one to three good tree hits can destroy a standard disc. If you hit the Billy Tree (1st tree off the tee, named after Billy Crump during his touring days) a few times with a standard disc, its toast.

I did not test against a tree because it is hard to ensure that you are hitting the tree squarely (or fairly) with each hit and because we hit the trees enough when we're not trying to! :)

Some folks won't believe anything that a marketing guy says...

And I will stick by the claim that one to three good tree hits can destroy a standard disc.
I only don't believe them when they either flat out lie or obviously don't know what they're talking about. Those are the only two reasons anyone would make that claim about the types of discs we're talking about.

The next time someone asks for a disc for a beauty contest, I'll be sure to show that video and recommend Vibram X-Link material.

Is it just me, or did the Vibram putter look like it was warped as hell in the video?

I like how at the end your winning disc looked like it had a huge Nipple in the middle yet your claim that it is better. In case you did not know durability is not the most important aspect of a disc. If it were we would all only throw high end plastic.

I like Vibram discs...I love Vibram outsoles...but I don't throw any of the discs right now because I want some of the crazy squishy proto plastic ones, not the regular x-link.

Nice discs though.

I think I might like to see a slightly more shallow rimmed putter as well.

\/\/

it's interesting to see the negative responses to the supported claim of a more reliable material. I wonder what the responses would be if Vibram added midrange and drivers to their mold selection and produced the same results? Probably something like "I only throw DX drivers because taco'd drivers are better."

it's interesting to see the negative responses to the supported claim of a more reliable material. I wonder what the responses would be if Vibram added midrange and drivers to their mold selection and produced the same results? Probably something like "I only throw DX drivers because taco'd drivers are better."
I think it's a fair comparison to pit Vibram against some of the lower end plastics. Yes, you can buy a putter in champ plastic but you lose texture when you do. What Vibram succeeded at was creating a more durable disc with grip that you usually find in lower grade plastics.

If you play wide open courses this may not be a selling point for you. For people that play in rocky terrain, the woods, or like to drive with their putters this is a nice advancement. I've been throwing a Ridge for nearly half a year and have barely begun to see any difference in the flight pattern. Depending on how often I'm playing I can go through 3 base plastic putters in that amount of time.

So hate if you want to hate but it's nice to see a company actively seek our feedback and respond when we give it.

haters-gonna-hate.gif

Latest posts