• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Golf is dead.

I didn't come here to argue, but your statement is ridiculous. What I hear you saying is that the 5lb animal has gained a pound and now weighs 6 where as the 10,000lb monster has dropped 10 and is down to a svelte 9,990lbs. More people watched Tiger win the AT&T yesterday than have viewed all of Billy Crump's DVDs combined. As someone that loves discgolf, I too am glad that our game is growing and one day we may become a mainstream sport, but for now we are a fringe sport. Golf is very much mainstream and is near and dear to the people that have the resources to ensure that it's not going anywhere. I wish this new sponser well but this is simply false advertising. Golf is neither dead nor dying.

Nailed it.

I didn't come here to argue, but your statement is ridiculous. What I hear you saying is that the 5lb animal has gained a pound and now weighs 6 where as the 10,000lb monster has dropped 10 and is down to a svelte 9,990lbs. More people watched Tiger win the AT&T yesterday than have viewed all of Billy Crump's DVDs combined. As someone that loves discgolf, I too am glad that our game is growing and one day we may become a mainstream sport, but for now we are a fringe sport. Golf is very much mainstream and is near and dear to the people that have the resources to ensure that it's not going anywhere. I wish this new sponser well but this is simply false advertising. Golf is neither dead nor dying.
I don't know, bro. It says so on the Flash banner.

Sorry but golf is like an old elephant dressed up nice and purty for the crowd. But it's still dying. Disc golf is the buck naked youngster with nothing but an upside about to be featured in the circus.

I wouldn't say that golf is dying by any stretch, but the golf business has had to do some serious soul searching in the last 5-10 years as it overbuilt itself, went too upscale at a time when a lot of folks have been scaling back, and even for many who can afford it, simply demands too much time out of a day for many folks.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/econo...01-15/golf-communities-real-estate/52591988/1

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/nyregion/21golf.html?pagewanted=all

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-america-worklife-balance-is-the-true-culprit

http://technorati.com/sports/article/why-golf-is-declining-in-the/

http://www.independentmail.com/news/2012/apr/03/after-decade-of-decline-golf-industry-seeks/

To say that golf is dead is sensationalist hyperbole, but that may be an intentional marketing strategy. It sure got us talking about their banner. :)

And I think it's too early to say that golf is dying, although it's certainly suffering these days, for a variety of reasons. I would not be surprised if it makes a comeback if and when the American and European economies recover.

I gave it up for multiple reasons. A: I sucked at it. I could drive and putt but couldn't hit an iron to save my life. B: I wanted to focus on disc golf more. Time is money and money is money. You need time to develop a disc golf game and money to built a quality arsenal. C: Golf took too much of my time and energy. I would play a 4 hour round of golf and be exhausted at the end of the day plus sore the next day. Disc golf allows me to get the same health benefits (more actually) while not getting as exhausted and sore. D: Golf sucks the money from your wallet. It cost a lot to play a round of golf. Disc golf is free for causal rounds in most cases. When you play tournaments you shell out as much as golf though.

Golf is not dead. I watch it now just as much as I did when I played it. I was on the lake yesterday and one of the holes is right next to the beach. Steady foursomes came through there like it was nothing. Trust me the rich will keep playing golf. It is not going anywhere.

My dad owns a golf course and it's not dead at all. It's a steady market and a great career to be in right now. The only courses that suffered from the rescission were mid grade courses. The rich high end courses did cut a few staff but that happened everywhere.
I love the marketing, even though ball golf is cranking out 5million + in purses every weekend.
I played through college and still do from time to time. My wife loves golf more than disc golf so if she gets her way, we play that... Places like the PGA Superstore now carry disc golf merch, so I would love to see more stuff like that. It would be great for DG and golf to partner up more.

I think you guys are thinking way too hard into this. Obviously ball golf is not dead. But its still a clever as hell slogan for a disc golf company. I used to golf almost every week before I found disc golf...now I go golfing about once every two months.

And here's the thing, let's say someone sees you wearing a shirt with that on it. They're going to ask you what it means. Chances are, that you just told someone new about disc golf and that is now a potential sale.

Saw the banner, threw my clubs away. $1,500 down the drain.

*shakes fist at internet

Speculation: They are disc golf pirates, and on the 4th of July they will invade Pebble Beach golf course to loot and pillage - their ship will be called, the SS Avenger.

Fantastic! lol

Chuck are you involved in this in any way?

Coming out with the Golf is dead defense makes me think you may know something more. To be clear though, more people pay to play a round of golf every weekend than all the people who play in a PDGA event in a year. I could see the argument for golf being in a slight decline but I am sure most of that is directly related to the economy.

It would be great for DG and golf to partner up more.

I agree with Marty on this. Making a rival out of golf doesn't do us any good. Coincidentally, I was dreaming about Back to the Future this morning just before I woke up. :D

I could see the argument for golf being in a slight decline but I am sure most of that is directly related to the economy.

It is that and more. The American lifestyle doesn't lend itself to a 5-hour or longer round of golf (you have to plan for driving time to get there, warmup time, time in the locker room, etc.) as well as it used to. I've heard that the struggling courses are working on ideas to draw more players out who would rather play less than 18 holes, like offering more 9-hole opportunities, and are even considering 6-hole rates. That would let you play a round in 2 hours, which wouldn't dominate your whole day or cause soreness or exhaustion after the round. 9 or 6 or 12 holes would also be less expensive.

Speculation: They are disc golf pirates, and on the 4th of July they will invade Pebble Beach golf course to loot and pillage - their ship will be called, the SS Avenger.

this seems cool

Latest posts