• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Gonna get hate for this... But the Groove

I'm still fairly new to this site and disc golf in general but from what I gathered there is a crap ton of hate on the Groove. I'm just wondering why? Where I live almost everyone throws one. I personally have 2 and I routinely throw it 420'+ and accurately. Why the hate?
I get tired of tripping over lost grooves littering the left side of every fairway's rough. :|
yeah. My opinion of DGCR's most popular discs

1. Opto Pure
2. Zone
3. Leopard
4. River
5. Saint
6. Ion
7. Teebird
8. PD
9. Pro Rhyno
10. Eagle
That's pretty good. I'd say the Anode rivals the Ion in fanboi love now, and some sort of CFR Gator should be in there somewhere.
I wasn't sure if the Saint was that fast into the list. So I figured I'd say 15 for the sake of being safe. is the Opto Pure really that liked?
Oh yeah, the Opto Pure is DGCR's equivalent to Bieber fever right now.

It's a good disc that's no more inconsistent than other innova high speed drivers. It's pretty straight, long and controllable in calm conditions. It's just trendy to hate on it.

This list is just begging for its own thread so we can all argue about how wrong and stupid you are, and then you can tell us we're wrong and stupid.

Example:

Me: "You put the Saint above the Teebird? Are you retarded? That's asinine!"

You: "I've been playing longer than you and my name is a noun, so shut up."

Me: "DOMINATE!"

You: "Well said."

(I throw about half of those discs so I have a hard time arguing with your list as a whole)

I think you misunderstand the list. It is not about which is best. It is about which disc is pushed onto other member the most by fanboys. I do not throw 4 of these molds

Last edited:
I own a Secret Weapon and Flying Squirrel. The Secret Weapon is actually in my bag... the Flying Squirrel however, you could spike that disc and it would still end up flipping:wall:

It is an understable disc. It's supposed to turn. It sounds like your form needs work. I love mine for gentle turnovers, and my form isn't even all that good anymore.

To the OPs question: Like many other have said - I found one on a course and immediately hated the way it felt in my hand and could not deal with how overstable it was.

To Prerube's list: It's interesting that this site is so in love with Lat 64 discs yet they don't show up on the web stores top seller list - e.g. I finally found one on clearwater since they list their top 800+ and the zero line pure is #99.

The Groove's primary purpose was to get a high speed driver down to lighter weights. That has been done by a variety of other methods now which have essentially rendered the Groove obsolete. That's not to say inconsistency isn't a problem with all those other discs too, but at least there is no stupid groove in the middle of the wing on Blizzard Bosses, ESP Nukes, Echostar Destroyers and so on. All those discs, and many more, fly similarly to the prototypical Groove and come in a wider variety of plastic blends and a wider range of weights.

The Groove is inconsistent. Inconsistent = Bad for golf.

This can be said for the Beast as well and it's pretty popular on this site. The group I play with, most everyone has a beast. One person has a flat on, another has a kinda domey one, another has a super domey one… same with the Valkyrie, wraiths… My friend has a TeeBird that rather flat, mine is super domey

Innova in general is inconsistent. Groove is just the scapegoat.

I'm not an innova hater, I throw a mixed brand bag. But I do not order any innova's via internet because I never can trust I'll get the same mold as before.

Why all the Hate on the Groove? Because thats what the cool kids do.

Last edited:
If you choose not to throw the Groove, I hope it is because you've tried it and not cared for it, instead of never tried it because of its reputation.

Tried it. Awful choice.

If you like a Groove, Try out a destroyer in its place.

If you have a flippy grove - pro destroyer
...Straight - pro/star
...overstable - Glo Champ/Star

There are much better high speed discs.

It is an understable disc. It's supposed to turn. It sounds like your form needs work. I love mine for gentle turnovers, and my form isn't even all that good anymore.

It was a bit of sarcasm but yeah you are probably right;)

Want Grooves? They're at a Dick's Sporting Goods near you. :)

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 24
Want Grooves? They're at a Dick's Sporting Goods near you. :)

I have four shot to hell grooves upstairs if you'd like to work out a deal ;)

Not sure how they fly, but I bet they are still as equally sh*tty as they were when they were molded.

I have four shot to hell grooves upstairs if you'd like to work out a deal ;)

Not sure how they fly, but I bet they are still as equally sh*tty as they were when they were molded.

you coming today?

Most people dont realize that the Groove, and the XG Boss are the only ultra high speed drivers rated with a glide #6, almost everything else is a 5.
This will make it really hard to throw, which discourages most players, but, if you get it right, it flies faster, and farther than anything else out there. :)

Love the Groove

I just bought a used groove that was in great shape. At first I wasn't super impressed with it. I love to throw FH with my Champion Boss, but this seemed to turnover harder than I had anticipated. Once I compensated for that it was amazing. I could get a massive bomb of an s-curve out of it. I know that a lot of people don't like it a lot, but for me it worked really well (400+ ft).

Latest posts