• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gorilla boy or Carolina. . . Not again!

adamb258

Birdie Member
I know the bag debates are beat to death but my question seemed to not be discussed as much. I am wondering about the customer service/warranty these 2 companies offer. I am still very torn between the silverback (maybe kong) and the Carolina. I know each has positives and negatives but bottom line I want this to be the last bag I purchase for a long time.

My phone is about to die so I'll update this with more comments when I make it home.

I'm not sure if GB has a warranty or not. I should check into that. I've got a GB Squirrel monkey, and these bags are solid. I had issues with my first bag totally wearing out, but this thing seems like it will really take the abuse.

I am not personally familiar with Carolina so I cannot speak to that.

Probably doesn't matter. pick the bag you like best, and enjoy.

Is the only difference between the silverback and kong additional room in the main compartment for a few more discs?'

I think I have definintely decided to go the GB route, just need to decide on silverback or kong

Go bigger rather than smaller. I'm wishing I ended up with a bit more storage than the Squirrel Monkey offers, but that's my own damn fault.

well im stepping up from a crunch box so either is a huge upgrade, im just afraid the long will be too much for casual rounds compared to the silverback

I went through this a year ago, same dilemma.

Carolina.

More pocket space than the Silverback.

The Lat 64 bag is great too, lots of pocket space!

I'm stoked on my Carolina, I have seen the GB's and they look awesome too. I prefer the Carolina.

i'll speak up for carolina bags. i love mine, it's such a sweet bag. tons of room, for discs and other things. and, let's face it, it's just a beautiful bag. you wondered about customer service and dave at revolution is super cool and their customer service is top notch. there really aren't any warranties, but that's because you really don't need one with their bags. they are tanks that hold golf discs. and even one something does go wrong (roll cage) they send you another one for free.

but, since you said you pretty much decided on a GB, i'm with jukeshoe, go bigger.

The 2 things that are making me lean towards GB is the styling (total preference) and they are a bit cheaper and since I cant really make up my mind why not save a few bucks? The fact that I see far, far fewer GB's around kind of makes me want one also, I know you see a lot of carolinas for a reason but I have no doubt either bag will be great

I havent seen much on the latitude bag but 3/4 of the discs I throw are lat I guess it would make sense =P

I made this thread to help me focus and make a decision and now I have something else to consider!!! BAH!!

Thanks for the comments everyone.

L64 only has one spot for water which is half of the reason I am upgrading my bag.

The silverback says 14-16 discs with the kong at 18-20 discs but what are people actually putting in their bags? I know a lot of folks actually fit a lto more in their bags than the company says it holds.

The 2 things that are making me lean towards GB is the styling (total preference) and they are a bit cheaper and since I cant really make up my mind why not save a few bucks? The fact that I see far, far fewer GB's around kind of makes me want one also, I know you see a lot of carolinas for a reason but I have no doubt either bag will be great

I havent seen much on the latitude bag but 3/4 of the discs I throw are lat I guess it would make sense =P

I made this thread to help me focus and make a decision and now I have something else to consider!!! BAH!!

Thanks for the comments everyone.

That is one of the main reasons I chose a GB, and to support small business, Chris does offer a 1 year warranty. Revo are lifetime I think? I have a Kong, and is absolutely fantastic!! Fully loaded I can barley feel it on my back. The rain fly is awesome and works wonders. On the king the added mesh side pockets are great addition and unquie to them.

I can't say enough about GBs service. When I purchased a Spider Monkey, I mentioned to them that I thought the strap was too short, they quickly provided another that was just right.

I'm fairly new to this site but I figured now is a relevant time for me to chime in. I purchased a Silverback about 2 months ago and love it. A good friend of mine had a chimp but I decided I wanted a bit more pocket space (beers and gear for my dog).

I started disc golfing in April and have learned quickly that I only need a limited number of discs to support a round. I'm finding that as I add more discs to my bag there just seems to be more and more unnecessary overlap. 15 discs +2 putters is all the space I need. So here is my bag...

Attachments

• GB Silverback.jpg
    GB Silverback.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 64
I am now also considering the phenix streamline with line-x which makes it the same price as the kong but the size of the silverback (if im not mistaken). Bill has answered a lot of my questions about the streamline but not being able to see any of these bags in person is really making this decision feel harder than it should.

I sent chris a few e-mails last night and he responded very quickly and answered all of my questions, yet another reason to lean in the direction of GB.

Based on feedback from other members I think the size of the silverback or streamline would be plenty for me.

I have the Lat 64 bag. It has many spots for water, if you think a bit differently. One dedicated bottle holder, and enough pocket space for 9 or more long necks or 0.5L bottles, should you want to fill it that way. And it will still carry 22 discs. I know what you mean, though, it doesn't have two big holders on the outside.

Personallly, I like the end putter pocket, so I sacrifice the 2nd bottle holder. It is easy to access your putters and marker while it's on your back. The end pockets are huge, can hold 4 discs or 3 putters each. The front (back?) pocket can also hold 3 discs. But, as I said, any of these three pockets can be used for add'l beverages. I just switch out the empties...

It does hold alot of cargo, and seems very durable. Plenty roomy for towels, shirts, jackets, discs, food, beverage, and whatever else. I've had it a few months now, so far, so good. I'm fairly tough on equipment so next year we'll see. Of course, this tough construction makes it heavy.

But I like having a small, lighter bag, which is a Fade Crunch Box, in my case. Nice for the casual rounds, short courses. Actually, I just used it on two very hot days, so I didn't have to carrry alot, put an extra bottle in the big end pocket, couple of microfiber towels, and a cell phone and I was set. Didn't miss anything.

Yeah, I am sure you can pack it down with everything you need I just like having two external bottle holders, I am kind of weird like that. The lat bag also looks a little bulky for my liking although taht may not really be the case. Either way I prefer the looks of the other bags over it too, I appreciate your comments though.

Latest posts