• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip EQ A-Series Large Tour Bag

If I don't have the spare money for the Gateway deal, I don't have the spare money for this one either heh. Time to DIY it.

The search is over.
I now have a backpack bag.

Now the delivery wait begins...

My wife's gonna kill me when she finds out.

What he said ^^
especially the wife part.
Been looking for awhile now and I had to jump on this deal. My buddy ordered a Catalyst and I was waiting to see what it was all about. Too late now. I was really eyeing a Grip anyway. I think I'll be happy with it.

Wow, that is a great deal for one of the best bags on the market. Half tempted to buy one myself even though my L Series is not even a year old. Kudos to Grip for the excellent sale!

Wow, that is a great deal for one of the best bags on the market. Half tempted to buy one myself even though my L Series is not even a year old. Kudos to Grip for the excellent sale!

I had my L Series for 6 months and I bought an A Series.

I thought $222 was a smoking deal, too. This is pretty da*n amazing.

Addiction is a tough thing to overcome. :D

My 35 dollar Bonner 3 bag is equal if not better than this GRIP RIPoff bag. I have some really great backpacking bags... a 85 liter and 55 liter that didn't come close to 220 dollars each. This is for the prestige of wearing the brand name rather than it having $220 worth of function/value.

I respectively disagree that the price has much if anything to do with prestige. Economies of scale is a big factor. I do some hiking too and can find Gregory and Osprey packs of a similar size for much less, but they are established international companies that are probably running over 10,000 of each model/color combo. Checkers vs. chess.

My 35 dollar Bonner 3 bag is equal if not better than this GRIP RIPoff bag. I have some really great backpacking bags... a 85 liter and 55 liter that didn't come close to 220 dollars each. This is for the prestige of wearing the brand name rather than it having $220 worth of function/value.

I already have two L series bags. One is almost two yrs old and another has only been used for a few months. This is to good of a deal to pass up. Dam 3 grip bags. Yes I have a problem. One more and I have one for all the seasons.

Last edited:
As someone that owns a Golf Mahal that I purchased by selling off 2 defective L-Series bags(an original grip and its warranty replacement)...I think I'll still be buying an A-Series this week as my smaller disc golf bag...

ordered one for the wife
she already had a catalyst pre-ordered
when both are sitting here, she can compare and choose one
the other will be sold

the pre-order price of the catalyst is really good bang for the buck
but this sale price for the grip A is really-really good bang for the buck

I respectively disagree that the price has much if anything to do with prestige. Economies of scale is a big factor. I do some hiking too and can find Gregory and Osprey packs of a similar size for much less, but they are established international companies that are probably running over 10,000 of each model/color combo. Checkers vs. chess.

Simple economics of supply and demand would indicate otherwise. I'm not saying that the entire cost of the item is prestige, but they can obviously sell these bags for much less than they traditionally do.
Standard Price: $252
Sale Price: $176
That's just over 30% off, and I guarantee that they are still making a profit at that margin. I'm not saying they're doing anything wrong, but they sell plenty of the bags at $252 because of that bag's/brand's popularity.
As far as why it is so popular is a chicken or the egg conversation. The top pros began using this bag when it came out because it was the best option available. As soon as that happened, people started buying them up because they saw their favorite pros using them. Thats why plenty of companies have and will continue to sponsor players.
Anymore, there are numerous backpack options out there to choose from, but the Grip is still the most well known, popular and a lot of people buy whats popular just because its whats popular.

The top pros began using this bag when it came out because it was the best option available. As soon as that happened, people started buying them up because they saw their favorite pros using them. Thats why plenty of companies have and will continue to sponsor players.
Anymore, there are numerous backpack options out there to choose from, but the Grip is still the most well known, popular and a lot of people buy whats popular just because its whats popular.

i HIGHLY doubt that the grand majority of people who bought a Grip bag bought it because a pro uses it. the reason people buy the grip bag is because it is still the best made and best designed back out there.
i've tried on every back pack out there currently in production (besides salient). hands down Grip is the most comfortable. thats why they sell, not because of some pro.
Additionally, at the numbers Grip is running, they are not getting the same deal as Osprey or the like. Most times manufacturing costs are done in tiers, buy x amount get y price. Companies like Osprey are probably several tiers above Grip. Also, a backpacking bag is not nearly as complicated to make as a DG bag. (I know this because I have made both kinds of packs). so even if they were on the same tier together, a Grip bag would still cost more to manufacture.

i HIGHLY doubt that the grand majority of people who bought a Grip bag bought it because a pro uses it. the reason people buy the grip bag is because it is still the best made and best designed back out there.
i've tried on every back pack out there currently in production (besides salient). hands down Grip is the most comfortable. thats why they sell, not because of some pro.
Additionally, at the numbers Grip is running, they are not getting the same deal as Osprey or the like. Most times manufacturing costs are done in tiers, buy x amount get y price. Companies like Osprey are probably several tiers above Grip. Also, a backpacking bag is not nearly as complicated to make as a DG bag. (I know this because I have made both kinds of packs). so even if they were on the same tier together, a Grip bag would still cost more to manufacture.

it was a combination. I was thoroughly intrigued with Grip when it first came out...mainly because it was a backpack for one thing only, disc golf. The pros got the name and the bag out in the open and even after the rocky start grip is the leader in the market currently

I got mine because, after lurking through all the backpack threads for the last few months, I found that the Grip is the bag that is preferred by guys who have bought and used a variety of bags.
Guys on DGCR had to buy their bags, as opposed to some Pro being paid to carry a brand of bag.
Shoot, I'd carry my discs in a burlap sack if somebody paid me to.

I got mine because, after lurking through all the backpack threads for the last few months, I found that the Grip is the bag that is preferred by guys who have bought and used a variety of bags.
Guys on DGCR had to buy their bags, as opposed to some Pro being paid to carry a brand of bag.
Shoot, I'd carry my discs in a burlap sack if somebody paid me to.

i also did a ton of homework before buying my grip A
and i could not tell you what pros are using the grip A without looking it up
because i dont know or care
i just know when i put it on it feels comfortable and feels like it weighs half of what my other bags weighed

Like the above two posts, all my backpack bag info came from various DGCR threads. I only found out about the Pros using it when I stumbled on to the Signature line of bags on the Grip EQ website. I liked the look of it, seemed to be getting great reviews from current owners and they happened to be in stock when my Income Tax check showed up. Not to mention Jamie @ Grip was very helpful and responded quickly to my email questions I had before the purchase.

Almost 10 months later I dont have a single complaint about my bag. It is everything I had hoped for and shows no sign of wear at all despite the numerous rounds I have put it through. Satisfied customer here. :thmbup:

i also did a ton of homework before buying my grip A
and i could not tell you what pros are using the grip A without looking it up
because i dont know or care
i just know when i put it on it feels comfortable and feels like it weighs half of what my other bags weighed

Exactly! I have friends that have this bag and I have put theirs on a played a few holes. it feels so light. I have a voodoo karma and it's top quality inside and out, but it's heavy and I have a bad back. Grip was a no brainer for me.

Side note - ordered it this morning and it's already shipped out. No catalyst drama here.

There are multiple reasons that people carry a grip. It is not the best imo prodiscus is I doubted until my buddy got one. Prodiscus is by far the most comfortable and roomiest bag look wise my preference goes to the ergo 2. People bought the grip because not only did they see pros with it they saw other consumers with it and by that time it was readily avalible. Grip is so popular from the foot hold it scored in the market not because they are head and shoulders above every other bag

Latest posts