• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hardest thing for you to overcome / learn

Fighting headwinds and severe cross winds. But I have a better understanding thanks in large part to advice I've gotten here.

So right now its consistency.

I can drive well, approach like a monster and I'm a putting machine. Just not all at the same time, everytime. Not even most of the time.

Being consistent is my biggest issue. I have a tournament round rated under 800 and I have one rated over 900. :doh: Some days I putt well and other days I putt like have never seen a disc or a basket. Some days I drive like Mario Andretti while other days I drive like a white knuckled blue hair. Overall I am improving, but not at the rate I would like with the amount of work I put in. I might be able to speed up the curve with the fact that I play all year in Arizona.

I have a tournament this weekend (4 rounds at 2 courses)...it will be very telling.

:gross::mad:DRIVING!!!! ARGHHH!!!! :doh::wall:

I keep the disc just above my hips and close to my body, I reach back, I shift my weight as I pull through and punch out... I think I am just too weak and I just don't get enough power behind the disc...

I have been trying to use slower discs to figure things out... but they just don't go far... teebirds, sabres, gazelles.... I can get my Wizards out to 230ft.
My best controlled distance comes from my Apache (9 speed by DGCenter's count) 280 ft. My max distance comes from my R-Pro Katana... just over 300 ft... the only disc I can get consistently out to 300 ft (hyzer flips).

I hate driving... my long approach is better than average I would say... but a lot of pressure gets put on my approach shots, and its very easy to miss big on those long shots.:(

Forehand. I always thought I sucked at it because I can't throw a baseball, but once I got it down, I found it to be absolutely indispensable. Stuck behind a tree? Step out and flick it! Throwing arm messed up? No worries! I still drive RHBH but just knowing that I've got that shot in my arsenal makes me confident that I can handle whatever second shot fate (or trees) presents me with.

All of these were things that I gradually started figuring out but probably the biggest thing I've started to learn recently that has lowered my score a ton is Shot Selection and Strategy which I think overlaps a bit with disc selection. Once I figured out that I don't have to try and park every single hole my shots started getting more constitent and I started taking the correct shot route, rather than the highest rick/reward shot possible. This has helped me stay under par on most courses around the Colorado Springs area lately. Although a lot of that overlaps with the fact that I've started to throw more consitent discs that might not go quite as far as my other discs. For example, I now throw my Forces off most tees because I know exactly what it's going to do every second of it's flight and I know it's going to end left for me so I can take a much more predictable hyzer route and I can really get into my throw with the Force because I know it's not going to turn over. I'm currently trying to learn the same thing in my midrange game as well.

Overall I think that Shot Selection/Strategy is the most important but on that same note I think all of the other categories you mentioned need to be in place before you move to shot selection/strat. If your grip/hand placement is wrong then you won't be able to throw the disc as intended and get if your technique is wrong you won't be able to throw to your full potential.

The thing I still battle to this day is that practice actually helps (go figure):\

If I can get in 3 days a week (1 putting, 1 mid, 1 driving) of specific practice, I know my game noticably improves, however, playing is more fun, so it's a tough trade off.

For me its throwing from the teepad. I am consistantly tweaking my drives, which has cost me about 50 feet, now since I almost never throw the same way two days in a row. The screwed up part is if it's a two drive hole I can usually get there in two and my second one is further. I am also much better at dirt tee courses than cement tees. I don't get it. I call it teepaditis.

the ability to leave bad shots behind and focus on the only shot that matters- the next one.

I'm with you on that one. I was never able to do that with ball golf. But I am getting better at disc golf. This mindset has seemed to help, A bad throw gives me the opportunity to practice my creativity with trouble shots and focus on course management. So instead of thinking 2, now I have to focus on an easy 3.

Although that seems simple, if you are hot headed like I am it's hard to let that bad throw go sometimes. So instead of a creative and easy par, I wind up with a disasterous 4 or more.

reading "golf is not a game of perfect" really helped get it through my thick head. sometimes you need a third party to point out to you things you really already know.

Putting. It's all important, but I'm making birdies now because I'm getting much better at the 20-30 ft putts. Plus, I'm better at keeping the disc close on misses.

Now with that have been various changes in grip, stance, rock, line, aiming. I've really changed immensly from how I started to how I am putting now.

same here

Long drives. Although I haven't yet mastered this yet I think once I do the game will be that much more enjoyable.
I went out the other day and decided to notice what I did when driving. Usually I would only concern myself with the distance that I would get when releasing my disc,which wasn't much. So I instead concentrated on my approach to the release and realized I did two things. One was that I would sometimes studder step as I was running up to the release. The other was that sometimes I would do the x step but then come to a complete stop and throw or I would slow down and throw,there was no "fluid" motion from beginning to end. To say it affects the flight and distance of the disc is an understatement
Sounds like now since I have realized this it would be easy to correct,right? Problem is that it is such a habit that I catch myself now doing it . Old habits are hard to break especially when you weren't aware of them!Gonna take sometime to re-learn my drives!

The biggest breakthrough I had was when I discovered the 3-fingered power grip. After that I started reaching baskets that I couldn't before, making birdies a real possibility. The next biggest breakthrough I had was this Fall when I discovered the Gateway Voodoo putter. It could be I'm finally turning into a decent putter, but I think it's the Voodoo that's making me better. There's nothing like a smooth release on your putts to improve your score.

But generally the biggest roadblock to my game is finding the time to practice all the skills. I could practice driving, or putting, or forehand approaches, or backhand approaches, or forehand driving, or overhand... whatever I don't practice regularly withers when I need it on the course. :(

I'd have to say putting. It changes often, usually for the better, but I feel that I shoot worse rounds when my putting is off rather than driving, mid-range, etc. Seems like getting over a putting rut is hardest thing to overcome in my game.

I'd have to say putting. It changes often, usually for the better, but I feel that I shoot worse rounds when my putting is off rather than driving, mid-range, etc. Seems like getting over a putting rut is hardest thing to overcome in my game.

Ugh... the putting rut and overcoming it, definitely my disc golf ability nemesis. Putting itself isn't bad for me, its good enough to keep my scores low. But when I start missing putts and letting my head get to me its all over, I end up not having fun and really frustrated. This is definitely the hardest thing for me to overcome.
I'm currently taking a break as I was especially upset with my putting at a recent tournament, time to take a step back and remember why I love this sport.

Originally Posted by biscoe
the ability to leave bad shots behind and focus on the only shot that matters- the next one.
Amen.

Temperment, temperment, temperment.

It's easy for me to imagine my consistancy problems disapating, if I could find the mental fiber to accept I'm a beginer who's going to make mistakes instead of getting mad at myself for doing what it is that a beginer does