• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Have you seen this MoFo? Golf Mahal?

Glad to hear this, I was thinking about doing this when I head out to Arizona. I wanted to take the Mahal as my carry on. BTW awesome pics of that course out there!

I just used my Mahal for a carry-on on my flight this weekend. I was allowed on, and it fit in the overhead compartment. That said, I saw some raised eyebrows from other passengers and the flight crew.

It worked great to carry all of my gear for a long weekend trip to Moab for mountain biking (mainly) and one round of disc at the famed Base Camp course (review on its way).

In one side compartment I stored my discs (I only brought 5). In the other side I stored my bike shoes and gloves. Had water bottles and snacks in the far outside pockets. In the main I had my riding clothes (in case the checked bag got lost), camelback and reading materials. Highly recommended for a carry-on and I was comfortable walking around the airport - definitely had to use the waist straps, it was loaded to the gills!

How is this bag getting almost 400 replies? I brushed it off the second I saw it, thinking that I didn't want a bag that was bigger than my apartment. Apparently, it's a sweet bag. Out of my price range, and being a pretty lean figure, I'd just look goofy wearing it. Also, I like to be able to walk down a trail without it having to be one designated for horses.

I use to live in the town where these bags are made (Bozeman, MT) and had friends that worked there. They use to have a big sale at their store once
a year and had to wait in a serious line to get into the place. I have met the owner a couple time cause brother in-law who knows everyone is friends with them. In fact my sister and parents still live there. I am going to have to make a trip over there this summer when I visit them and see if I can get a mahal on the cheap:)

All these comments about the bag being this HUGE monster are incorrect. Yes, the bag can be big if you fully maximize its capacity. However, if you want to just carry 14-15 discs you can do that in the main compartment then just minimize the side pockets and its really no bigger than my GB silverback or Lat64 bag.

^^^^ True. I carry 14 in the main compartment plus 2 putters. I havent even opened the two side pockets yet. But if I make a trip to places unknown, and want to carry a crapload of discs I know it can handle it.

I use to live in the town where these bags are made (Bozeman, MT) and had friends that worked there. They use to have a big sale at their store once
a year and had to wait in a serious line to get into the place. I have met the owner a couple time cause brother in-law who knows everyone is friends with them. In fact my sister and parents still live there. I am going to have to make a trip over there this summer when I visit them and see if I can get a mahal on the cheap:)

Sweet. I was raised in MT.

Agreed I carry the same amount. Only time I open the side compartments is for bringing extra discs to try out, or carry adult beverages. With the sides compressed the bag really is A LOT smaller then you would think. I also agree that the majority of the comments on this bag are from all the people stating they don't want to buy it as well.

^^^^ True. I carry 14 in the main compartment plus 2 putters. I havent even opened the two side pockets yet. But if I make a trip to places unknown, and want to carry a crapload of discs I know it can handle it.

I had the bag at a big tourney this weekend and it got its 5 min of fame. People saw it from a distance and like every 15 min somebody wantd to check it out. They were amazed at the quality and ability to expand. Alot were planning on snagging one. Some jaws dropped at the price but I just told em. U gotta pay for quality and a lifetime warrenty pays for itself.

I had the bag at a big tourney this weekend and it got its 5 min of fame. People saw it from a distance and like every 15 min somebody wantd to check it out. They were amazed at the quality and ability to expand. Alot were planning on snagging one. Some jaws dropped at the price but I just told em. U gotta pay for quality and a lifetime warrenty pays for itself.

That is the kicker. I think if I had not got my Revo Carolina I would've got my wife to get me this instead just for this reason (even if it doesn't come in yellow). My PaPa always said, "why buy a cheap product that won't last when you can buy the best that will last a lifetime". He was a wise man!

Had a long rainy league round last night.. (I was secretly happy cuz I could test out my mahal)

The bag performed wonderfully. All of the discs stayed very dry with the flap loosely on top (not zippered). Also my wallet and phone stayed dry in the detail pocket. It's nice to have the waterproof zippers!! I carried a fleece and a raincoat and beers all in the outer pockets. All stayed dry and were easily accessible when I needed them. Yes I needed beer for how bad I played last night.

Finally got around to building a frame. Played 54 holes with it this morning and WOW, what a difference...makes the bag sit square on ground and discs in middle compartment no longer make the bottom of the bag sag. No more worries about sitting it down and it tipping over either.

top bag.JPG

topside bag.JPG

frame.JPG

Hey, just realized the other pix were really small...sorry bout that, learning as I go:D Also, materials were $15 bucks from Home Depot.

frame.jpg

15inthebag.jpg

sideviewframe.JPG

WOW!!! Simple that looks absolutely amazing!! Would it be to much to ask what materials and instructions that you used? I carry 14 in the main compartment, and really don't notice to much of a sag, but if that holder makes it sit a little better, then I'm game! Looks really clean!

Hope this helps and thanks for the compliment!

Materials: Home Depot
2- sheets of 8"x10" Lexan Polycarbonate Sheets ($3.98 per sheet)

4- 1/2 inch pvc Plugs
(.43 cents per plug)

4- 1/2 inch pvc coupling
(.21 cents per coupling)

1- 2' piece of 1/2 inch pvc pipe
(.94 cents)

1- medium sandpaper
($2.47)

Specs:
*Cut both Lexan sheets (I left protective film on until the 'sanding' step) to measure only 5 and 3/4" inches high. Use the 8" width to your advantage cuz it's already cut to perfect size. So you'll only have to rotozip 1 time and that's to make each sheet 5 and 3/4" high. So sheets will end up 5 and 3/4"x8".
*Roto zip out 2 holes on each Lexan sheet. Measure 1 and 1/2" up from bottom and 2" from each side and there you will have the 'middle' of your holes (do this for both sides of Lexan that your plugs will wind up going into. I put the plug over the mark and traced with a sharpie and I stayed inside the sharpie circle w/ the rotozip. Make hole as snug as possible for plugs. Repeat for both pieces of Lexan.
*Cut 1 piece of 1/2" pvc pipe down to 8 and 1/2" long (this will be towards back of bag), cut other piece of 1/2" pvc pipe down to 8 and 1/4" (and this will be used towards front of bag). For some reason the back width of the center pocket is a little wider that the front width, that is why I compensated and cut the front piece a little shorter.
*Rotozip all 4 corners of Lexan pieces and sand off all edges until smooth. Unless your an expert (which I am definitely not) all areas that you rotozip will not be straight and perfect cut...which is totally cool cuz it's inside your bag
*Assemble all parts. Plugs on outside pushed towards middle, then Lexan, then coupling, then pvc pipe. When all is in place, then push on each opposing plug towards middle of frame and everything will snug up real nice. Do this on each pipe separately a few times.
*When inserting frame I had to put one side down in first and then kind of push down and to the outside and then when entire frame get's through the top of the center pocket opening it will push all the way towards bottom and fit in nicely.
*Note* I did not use any plumber glue. I did not want to make anything super permanent before I saw how it would function.

That is it (I believe I remembered everything). The whole project took about 30-45 minutes.

I've been using this bag more and more, finding it more useful and mostly patting myself on the back for the purchase..

SO a few field shots.

I tested out the umbrella feature on a recent rainy day here in Michigan.

107419_g.jpg

So it worked pretty well and the umbrella was well held in place. Only problem I had was I think I need a taller umbrella as the lower edge of the umbrella was in my eyesight. It was pretty close to being perfect though.

So the other day at league I had cold water in my camelback and none in my water bottles.. I sometimes try and get a quick mtb ride in before league. So I just threw the bladder in a side pocket and routed the hose up through the velcro on the side. The mouthpiece I fed through the front strap on the shoulder strap. It worked really good and I can see how this is an advantage over a water bottle as you can easily and quickly get a sip of water. It's also quieter and involves less movement (vs. a water bottle) so you don't have to worry as much about disturbing other players.

107418_g.jpg

I don't have any problems with the shoulder straps but a few people with a larger build have complained about the bag being difficult to get in and out of. Maybe this is an issue for larger people but the bag works really good for me (5'10" 160 lbs).

I think a lot of people complain about the shoulder straps because they are too lazy to loosen them up after tightening them for a walk.

Latest posts