• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Have you seen this MoFo? Golf Mahal?

When people were commenting on how much I spent on the Mahal, I just responded with "I don't smoke and drink very little (alcohol)". They didn't have a comment after that. It is all about where you choose spend your money. They did like the bag.

I just say I received it for a gift as to how much it costs, makes it easier that way. I'm sure everyone gets the same response from the people that carry two discs, "Man, is that a Disc Golf bag or a hiking bag? You also carry a stool too." :doh::wall:

When people were commenting on how much I spent on the Mahal, I just responded with "I don't smoke and drink very little (alcohol)". They didn't have a comment after that. It is all about where you choose spend your money. They did like the bag.

Caroline Team Bag ($125)+ Quads ($40) = $165
Phenix Core Custom ($165) + Quads ($40) = $205
Golf Mahal = $260

So a Mahal is 37% more than a Carolina and 21% more than a Core. If you put it that way it doesn't seem that bad I guess.. Or does it? :confused:

Although you could simply quote Oscar Wilde to avoid the numbers game:

"The cynic knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing"

:p

I never did the math like you showed below,but to me it's a great deal considering what you get for a little more coin.

Caroline Team Bag ($125)+ Quads ($40) = $165
Phenix Core Custom ($165) + Quads ($40) = $205
Golf Mahal = $260

So a Mahal is 37% more than a Carolina and 21% more than a Core. If you put it that way it doesn't seem that bad I guess.. Or does it? :confused:

Although you could simply quote Oscar Wilde to avoid the numbers game:

"The cynic knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing"

:p

I don't smoke and I don't drink, and I'm still not buying this bag. What's your point again?

The bag is expensive regardless of what you're spending your money on. It's purely subjective if it is a wise investment for each person who is considering it.

I just read this entire thread.(yeah over an hour) and I feel like I know you guys personally now! I totally felt crappy when the orders were delayed for you all and empathized massively with the face-palming over not shipping to your place of work. (I personally would've called in sick that day) Seriously, this thread read like a DG dork drama script.

I'm a new player just outgrowing my Innova standard bag & looking into something that I won't outgrow or need to replace anytime soon. I'm dorky enough that I research the shiz out of everything I get for DG. Tonight I stumbled upon 3 new bags I'd never even heard of. The Spike Hyzer (built-in cooler model) the Vodoo line (Karma stuck out to me) and this Mahal beast.

At first glance from the MR website, I thought "Wow that thing is WAY too big" but after seeing ALL of the fantastic pics you guys posted, I realized it's just about right. Big when you need it to be, average size when you don't. Now I just need to do the math and figure out if I will die from the amount of plasma donations it will take to afford it before tourney season. :D

I've already been eyeing up a Simian, so this doesn't really seem like too far of a stretch. ($$ wise) Anyways, great thread, happy hucking and Mahal-o!

Sonny, I can assure you with all of the research you've done that your going to LOVE the Mahal, as the majority of us do. I only know of one person that doesn't not like there Mahal. Another bag company that I didn't see in your post that makes backpack and standard bags is Revolution. I've seen the Voodoo bags in the wild, and man are they sweet looking, and built tough!!! Before I make a big dg purchase I really do my research as well, I almost went with the Revo Dual Pack glad I didn't though.

Funny, I've been tossing around the Simian and the dual pack as my OLD first/second choice. I really like the way the discs can be grabbed from the top of the Mahal better though. With how deep the main compartment is, I really can't envision myself dropping discs out either.

Unfortunately I now see why people sell off their unused DG stuff. I think I've got an xbox 360 or two I can sell before I go to those extremes though. :)

added a small frame to the middle compartment since i didnt like how it sagged and how low the discs were without one. should help with the wear on the bottom and it works perfectly. the bag doesnt need it but it felt i wanted one so why not?

following chris' design on the gb bags and emillers specs on pipe size and 3/4'' plugs, i just modified mine to fit my mahal bag. trimmed the side panels low and fit it in there nice n snug. pipe is about 8.25'' long . probably can go 8.5 but this works fine. nice and snug with no movement,the discs sit a little higher and dont sag out the bottom as you can se in the last pic. works good. thanks emiller for those measurements!

I like what you did there booter. Thanks for sharing. Think I will be doing the same mod. I do have a slightly annoying issue in that sometimes when I set the bag down and it's lightly loaded (and the sides fully compressed) the weight of the straps and yoke will tip the whole bag back on its side. During the one disc challenge (yes I used my Mahal at the one disc challenge) this was even more of an issue.

Where do you get all of the parts for that frame? Or please send me the link to all of the directions..

I think it will make the bag more stable when lightly loaded.

thanks. the frame isnt heavy really but i supposed you could use some thicker piping to add some weight or fill the pipe with foam or silicone. any who. the original frame was from a gb bag. squirrel monkey to be exact. i went to home depot and found some 1" piping about 2 feet long. pretty cheap so around $1.68 a piece. also i bought 4 3/4" plugs for the ends. about a buck each i think. i couldnt find any corrugated plastic like in the gb bags so i actually just hacked up my sm plastic. i made the holes a little bigger to accommodate the plugs size ,popped the plugs in, cut the pipe about 8.25" long and then fit it in there. voila.done! . the piping could probably go to 8.5" long but mine fits nicely. i can still fit 14 discs in there too. 10 drivers and 4 putters/mids. no more sagging on the bottom and the discs arent moving around too much since its not packed to the brim.

i took a post made by emiller3 on dgr in the gb thread and just went off his measurements with my modifications to fit the mahal

More than a tent?? hmm my Moss Tent was $650 back in 01 and apparently they are still selling used for $400++

Best bag I have ever worn hands down. I carried my discs and my ladies discs along with my water and hers and this bag was easier to carry than my carolina with quad shocks just carrying my stuff. If you haven't tried one on, you have no idea what you are missing.

And now if you are looking for a good tent, here ya go. And yes they are expensive. Why, because they are light, breathable, storm proof and absolutely the best tent you can buy.

As is the Mystery Ranch line of backpacks. If you have ever done serious back-country backpacking, you know that Dana Gleason (Mystery Ranch and Dana Designs) has made what a lot of people would consider the best backpacks in the industry. So for all of you who think this bag is overpriced, just wait til you try one on and have it custom fit to your body. And then play with it fully loaded through a torrential rain storm, and tell me it isn't the most comfortable disc golf bag ever.

I just used my Mahal for a carry-on on my flight this weekend. I was allowed on, and it fit in the overhead compartment. That said, I saw some raised eyebrows from other passengers and the flight crew.

It worked great to carry all of my gear for a long weekend trip to Moab for mountain biking (mainly) and one round of disc at the famed Base Camp course (review on its way).

In one side compartment I stored my discs (I only brought 5). In the other side I stored my bike shoes and gloves. Had water bottles and snacks in the far outside pockets. In the main I had my riding clothes (in case the checked bag got lost), camelback and reading materials. Highly recommended for a carry-on and I was comfortable walking around the airport - definitely had to use the waist straps, it was loaded to the gills!

I'm afraid this would be me If I tried using this bag...

1283122140142S8H.jpg

Latest posts