• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help scaling back

Mediocrefellow

Par Member
Hi!

I am still learning the game and the different types of shots at my disposal but can throw RHFH and RHBH equally around 300 I guess but havent measured.

I'm able to play the whole course only FH, or only BH, or with only a putter - or a buzzz. ll side-arm pitcher. Even though my home course is a technical wooded course in the rockies I forced myself to figure out how to use my discs BH just in case and stop relying on my FH drive.

Issue with that is that I rely more heavily on mold variety while I fine tune things. Upside is that I'm getting to see how many discs flight characteristics can be utilized. Anyway 15 discs is overkill but I'm able to buy from a large selection of discraft here and also get some sweet OOP stuff.

Aiming for <10 with 7-8 being optimal. Now lets see how much overlap Ive got.

Distance Drivers

-Elite X Heat - Downslope/tailwind shots and glide
-Big Z Thrasher - Tunnel shots with subtle turns/tailwinds/S-curves
-Z Surge SS - FH line carving/Open area distance drives/Hyzer-flip
- Elite X Force (beaten in) - Open Headwind/Utility FH

Control Drivers

-Z Avenger - Hyzers/straight to hyzer lines/Flex shots
-Z First Run Vulture - New - Similar to the avenger which prompted scaling.
-ESP Predator - Carving sharp woods lines/Flex/Wind/Thumbers/Utility

Tweener Fairway/Mids

-Big Z Archer - long Anny Lines, Hyzer flips, Finding many uses for it actually
-Big Z Sting - Also new and quickly making other discs less useful - Can hold hyzer then go into hyzer-flip due to late-flight high speed turn. Love this thing for shaping tight controlled lines.

Mids

- Z Meteor - Annys, hyzer-flips, get out of the woods/upslope/tailwind
- ESP Buzzz - Hyzer, Anny, Hyzer flip, sniper gaps and FH approach.
- Z Wasp - Hyzers, flex shots, downhill, wind

Putt/Approach

Jawbreaker Banger GT - Minimum fade, holds most lines
X soft Challenger - Anything, so far my favorite disc to throw until...
Jawbreaker Zone - I have only thrown it a few times but I already know it's not going anywhere. FH, BH approach shots, gaps, wind, whatever it'll handle a lot.

Basically I'm already starting to see where a newer disc can take the place of a few older ones (honestly the sting itself is putting pressure on a few drivers to hold their weight) and wanting to see what I can get rid of, as well as identify any holes in the lineup as well.

Thanks!

-M

You definitely have all the shots covered...the best way you can start trimming down is go to those courses and throw and keep track of which discs you reach for again and again and again. Then go play having removed the ones you didn't throw or only threw once or twice.

-or-

Start from the ground up and pick your favorite stable putter, stable mid and an US/stable driver and OS/stable driver and go play until you need more shots.

Hi!

I am still learning the game and the different types of shots at my disposal but can throw RHFH and RHBH equally around 300 I guess but havent measured.

I'm able to play the whole course only FH, or only BH, or with only a putter - or a buzzz. ll side-arm pitcher. Even though my home course is a technical wooded course in the rockies I forced myself to figure out how to use my discs BH just in case and stop relying on my FH drive.

Issue with that is that I rely more heavily on mold variety while I fine tune things. Upside is that I'm getting to see how many discs flight characteristics can be utilized. Anyway 15 discs is overkill but I'm able to buy from a large selection of discraft here and also get some sweet OOP stuff.

Aiming for <10 with 7-8 being optimal. Now lets see how much overlap Ive got.

Distance Drivers

-Elite X Heat - Downslope/tailwind shots and glide
-Big Z Thrasher - Tunnel shots with subtle turns/tailwinds/S-curves
-Z Surge SS - FH line carving/Open area distance drives/Hyzer-flip
- Elite X Force (beaten in) - Open Headwind/Utility FH

Control Drivers

-Z Avenger - Hyzers/straight to hyzer lines/Flex shots
-Z First Run Vulture - New - Similar to the avenger which prompted scaling.
-ESP Predator - Carving sharp woods lines/Flex/Wind/Thumbers/Utility

Tweener Fairway/Mids

-Big Z Archer - long Anny Lines, Hyzer flips, Finding many uses for it actually
-Big Z Sting - Also new and quickly making other discs less useful - Can hold hyzer then go into hyzer-flip due to late-flight high speed turn. Love this thing for shaping tight controlled lines.

Mids

- Z Meteor - Annys, hyzer-flips, get out of the woods/upslope/tailwind
- ESP Buzzz - Hyzer, Anny, Hyzer flip, sniper gaps and FH approach.
- Z Wasp - Hyzers, flex shots, downhill, wind

Putt/Approach

Jawbreaker Banger GT - Minimum fade, holds most lines
X soft Challenger - Anything, so far my favorite disc to throw until...
Jawbreaker Zone - I have only thrown it a few times but I already know it's not going anywhere. FH, BH approach shots, gaps, wind, whatever it'll handle a lot.

Basically I'm already starting to see where a newer disc can take the place of a few older ones (honestly the sting itself is putting pressure on a few drivers to hold their weight) and wanting to see what I can get rid of, as well as identify any holes in the lineup as well.

Thanks!

-M

I would go with the bolded, but eventually look at the flick to replace the predator, and maybe keep the heat for something US until you can get a cycle going on the Vultures. Also, you can't go wrong with Streets' suggestion.

I've managed to reduce my bag down to 9/10 discs and 7 molds and can almost par my home course fairly regularly. Most holes are less than 300ft but dogleg/double dogleg withelevation at play and tight wooded fairways are the norm with a few longer-open 500ish ones mixed in usually with a headwind.

Putting putters
Beat jawbreaker zone
Beat X soft challenger

Throwing putters
Z FLX Zone
Z FLX Challenger
G* Aviar

Mid-range
z Meteor or champion Panther (depends how I feel)
Z FLX Buzzz SS
G* Mako3 or X Comet (could use both - comet for glidey touch shots)
Z Buzzz OS (waiting on a new z wasp to see which I prefer - mines beat to almost understable)

Control/fairway Drivers
Took them out of my bag for a month or 2 and played mostly with putters and comets. Now I am throwing my speed 6 fairway drivers around 280-300' (Udisc measurements) on the course (not field distance) - I'm now auditioning a Big Z Archer, Big Z Stinger, First Run Z Vulture, X Heat, Z Surge SS, ESP Predator, G* Leopard3

Distance drivers
Also out of the bag and not concerned atm until I can get my arm speed up a bit but I carry a Big Z Nuke because my long piano fingers can grip it fairly well and it's my most consistent distance on a straight 500+ into headwind - cuts through the headwind and initiates a mild HS turn before fading back to dead center. Only use it on 1 hole but very trustworthy.

Anyway I still like throwing lots of different discs but it's so nice carrying a light bag and not having to second guess my disc selection. Tossing the drivers out of my bag was one of the best decisions I ever made and has helped my game immensely. I've been playing every day for 3-4 months only and am holding my own against locals with 15 years exp who throw speed 10 drivers on 250' holes that I throw a putter on.

Even though the drivers have uses for slower arms I think more people should disc the hell down to see how much fun this game can be when your discs don't go further sideways than they do forward lol.

You definitely have all the shots covered...the best way you can start trimming down is go to those courses and throw and keep track of which discs you reach for again and again and again. Then go play having removed the ones you didn't throw or only threw once or twice.

-or-

Start from the ground up and pick your favorite stable putter, stable mid and an US/stable driver and OS/stable driver and go play until you need more shots.

Streets, you are truly the voice of minimalist wisdom. I really appreciate your POV.

Yeah, it was very solid advice - It's great to be manipulating the discs rather than just throwing them and trusting that they know what they're supposed to do. I'm much more involved and in control now that the discs have to bend to my wishes instead of me accommodating them :)

Streets, you are truly the voice of minimalist wisdom. I really appreciate your POV.

a92bca59a2b3e4e33b5c4c7bb26d5cc0ab64f170932835b28c530238daaabe68.jpg

So I've been tweaking my bag lately in order to get to know my more unfamiliar plastic. So far it looks like this:

G* Aviar (main putting putter)
DX Aviar3
2 Soft X Challengers - new/old
Z FLX Challenger
Jawbreaker Challenger OS (beat to stable)
Jawbreaker Zone (long putts)
Z FLX Zone
Soft X Roach (beat to understable - backup putting putter)

ESP Buzzz SS (newish)
Z FLX Buzzz SS (newish)
ESP Buzzz (beat to perfection)
Z FLX Buzzz (newish)
Z Buzzz OS (new)
Z Wasp (beat to perfection as a buzzz backup)
Z Wasp (max weight and new as buzzz OS backup)
Champ Panther (beat - Just can't take it out, small diameter "get out of trouble" disc)

Z Surge SS (new)
Z Fly Dye Surge SS (beat)
ESP Predator (beat - utility for the incredible thumbers)
G* Tern (I started using this in the woods and I've never gotten so many birdies - drops 3 strokes off of my game reliably and at elevation on a cold day can still hold an anny line to the ground)

In the bag while I figure out my fairways:

Champ Beast x wing (seems OS to me where my new surge seems laser straight)
Champ Blizzard 138g Destroyer (for funsies)
Champ Teebird
Champ Leopard
Big Z Sting
Big Z Archer
G* Leopard3

13 molds if you count OS and SS and without fairways. Might be a lot but its evolving. I could honestly play my home course very effectively with any listed mid or fairway, a zone, and an aviar but my fun comes largely from seeing what I can make each disc do in different situations. I often will take a handful of discs and play multiple 1 disc rounds simultaneously. Not sure if its a recommended form of practice but sure is a lot of fun 😁