• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highbridge Hills - Wisconsin

Adamodisco

I recently made a trip up to High Bridge from the Chicago area based in part on the high rankings of the Granite and Blueberry courses. This course is rated very highly on this page, but it was run down, needed mowing, and there was quite a lot of garbage all over the course and the honka house. We tried very hard to communicate with the owner, but the give and take was not there. The place should probably not be open until it is ready, because it could be awesome but it was underwhelming to say the least.

I am just wondering what is going on with it?

Are my expectations too high?

Did we come too early in the spring? This was 5/30-5/31?

Is the ranking system fair? Is somebody gaming the numbers?

When those courses are mowed and kept up, they're a blast. I haven't played up there when it's not mowed and maintained, but that would make a huge difference. I think John's dreams are a lot bigger than his available time for not only doing that maintenance but expanding the facilities up there.

I have only played there once, and that was about 2 years ago. The Honka House was interesting, to say the least and not at all what we were expecting. Biggest problem is that John was trying to maintain most everything alone...and that's just too much for one guy. It does surprise me a little about the lack of communication becasue when we were there all he wanted to do was talk and talk and talk and talk. He was always around.

All that being said, We arrived on a Monday and played Blueberry which was in the process of being mowed. Played Granite Ridge the next day and it was mowed and awesome. Then we played Blueberry again and it was awesome.

In essence, I can completely understand how it has become a bit run-down. I hate to hear it though. Granite Ridge was my favorite, and definitely one of the 2 best courses I have ever played. Blueberry and the Gold Course are not far behind so I wouldn't say the ratings are inflated. Maybe you just had some unlucky timing or (most likely) the scope of up-keep has simply passed John's capabilities.

If Highbridge has had the same late and wet spring as other areas in the Upper Midwest, they would be as far behind on mowing in particular and other projects where vehicles can't go yet due to soft (and wet) ground.

Agree with Chuck in regards of weather. Give them a chance.

Last year he had several helpers/ workers attempting to keep everything running. We have stayed in the Honka house twice and I have to admit that it was greatly improved last year. Sadly the rest of the complex seems to be falling apart. I remembered Blueberry being better than what we played last year, but Granite was more fun than I remembered.

However, and leaving it at this, I have heard enough rumors about the place that my last time out lowered my estimation of the place and I am not sure I am going to bother making that trip again. But that is just me, and I have more on my wish list to hit first before I need to reconsider.

I had a similar experience as the OP. Last year a friend and I drove up there in middle august. There was almost zero up keep. We spent more time looking for discs than enjoying the courses. I could see a lot of potential but I too the owner is stretched to thin. Instead of 7 courses, how about 2 that are well maintained. I really wanted to love the place. I would like to get back there but have a hard time getting over the first experience. Going to take a pilgrimage to Rollin Ridge this year and hit up a few courses in that area. A couple hours further to drive but I can't imagine being disappointed.

Timely info for me as I am (was?) planning to make the pilgrimage this coming weekend....but can also make the trip on the weekend of 6/22. A lot is weather-dependent, but also mosquitoes and maintenance/mowing I figured would be worse later than earlier.

I usually have low expectations for mowing (and amenities) factoring into my enjoyment of a course.

I will be there the weekend of the 22nd, I hope it is maintained well. Last time I was there it was great, and the courses were very well kept

I played up there last summer, and had a blast. John and his crew were very nice and helpful. They worked into the dark cutting the grass, however it's a lot of property to maintain, and with the weather this year I can understand it being a bit out of control. We stayed in the bunk house, which lived up to it's name. I've played a lot of the top courses on this site, and I think Highbridge deserves it's high rating.

Yeah the Bunkhouse was Bunk. But I would definitely separate the course from the accommodations to be fair. And it kept the rain off our heads, so that was nice.

The mosquitoes were plentiful. It's just a rough spring as many have said. That is no excuse for not picking up the trash though. They just need to empty the buckets for starters.

I camped up there last August and it was a blast. Every course was mowed beautifully and there wasn't any trash anywhere. The crew was great and John was a great host. There was a live band Saturday night with one of the crew doing a fire swinging show with the music. The building maintenance leaves something to be desired but the courses are amazing when mowed well.

When I was there a few years ago in the summer the property was looking pretty good and the grass was mowed. I remember in conversation John said the grass grows insanely fast in the spring and he was a good host.

I think it deserves the high rating, but I imagine it would be rough when the grass is tall.

A few friends and I were up at Highbridge the weekend of the 25th, and I thought the place looked great. It was my third trip to the complex, and my first that I was able to stay on-site (Blueberry Cabin). As others have stated, it has been a very wet late May/early June in WI and mowing is a pain in the butt for everyone right now. The accommodations are nothing special IMO, but I don't go places because of the accommodations, I go for the quality of disc golf, and I must say that this is one of the best locations out there in terms of variety and level of fun. Zero lost discs in a group of 6, and very little time spent looking for them (albeit we mainly stayed in the fairways) : )

RicRoc - Good to hear that things are not as bad as Ltocadisco made it sound. I'll be there this weekend and staying in the cabin/bunkhouse. I'm pumped.

That is a good point about the accommodations. The Honka House looks nice from the outside but is underwhelming on the inside. In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal though, it's a fine place to sleep and the price is right.

That is a good point about the accommodations. The Honka House looks nice from the outside but is underwhelming on the inside. In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal though, it's a fine place to sleep and the price is right.

Yeah, it's a funky place.

My buddies and started doing a yearly weekend up there, and this year we're going with rustic cabin over Honka House because John will rent the Honka House to other people if it's not filled up.

We'll be up there the weekend of June 28 - 30. Can't wait.

Only bad part is that it sounds like Pete's not up there this summer, which sucks.

Talk to jhgonzo. He and a crew of family and friends make an almost annual pilgrimage to stay at the Honka house. They stay for a week, bring kids, babies, food, beer, etc, etc, and have a greta time. I typically camp right off Blueberry hole #2 (the downhill terraced green hole). I friend of mine owns an acre right there and has a great campsite unless a chucker shanks a RHBH hyzer into your fire! I'm not much top let primitive bother me. I actually don't like tenting it on the ground, so I stay in the back of my truck and sleep on top of lawn chair cushions. Oh so cozy and warm and dry! Considering the mouse and squirrel infested camps I've slept at, my truck is like a 2 star hotel :D !!!

So I spent a couple days on the hill this week. Made a project out of emptying the garbage containers on the teepads, and picking up what loose garbage I came across. Gonna head over and finish the project this afternoon and tomorrow.

Because I call Highbridge my home course, I've decided to spend a couple days a week helping John with course maintenance. Hopefully clean up around the edges, we'll have to see how it goes.

With that in mind, could you all do me a favor, and keep this thread alive? Use it for suggestions, comments, concerns, etc, from your recent visits.

Keep it to disc golf concerns only please, I'm not interested in working on or discussing the accommodations :)

My first priority is garbage. Next is paths, fairways, greens, and cleaning up the edges.

Quick question, do you think marker flags as reference points along some problem fairways would help mark your discs flight for quick recovery?

BTW I was with Ric Roc at the BB cabin that weekend ... good time was had by all!