• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many courses have you played that are the highest rated in their state?

Four. Thought it was two, until I read Mashnut's list. I'm most surprised to find I have played South Dakota's #1.

Is Tuthill the only course in the whole state with 20 reviews? I'd say it's about the 4th or 5th best in the state. Big Sioux, Pageant Hill, and Spearfish Canyon are all much better IMO.

I've played the best in:
SD- Tuthill Park (see above)
MN- BRP
CO- Conifer Park/Beaver Ranch
NE- Cottonmill

Six:
MI - Flip
GA - WR Jackson Memorial DGC (played Flyboy, too)
IL - Foundation Park - Champ 18
SC - Stoney Hill
FL - Magnolia
KY - Idlewild

Hon Mentions for playing a course in the top 3 of IN, OH, PA, MO
Personal note, I have no clue how Mt. Airy isn't the highest rated course in OH.

7 top courses of the 16 states I've played in.
AL - Indian Creek
IL - Foundation Park
IN - Seviren Lang
KY - Idlewild
MN - Blue Ribbon Pines
TN - Harmon Hills
WI - Rollin Ridge

Thought I'd played the top course in Ontario, but it turns out Bronte Creek would be #1, I've only played #2 VA Berrie and #3 Toronto Island.

Last edited:
Of the top 25 in Indiana, i've played 22 of them.

Will add Rogers Lakewood this year for sure, State championships are there this year.

Thought I'd played the top course in Ontario, but it turns out Bronte Creek would be #1, I've only played #2 VA Berrie and #3 Toronto Island.

The ratings around Toronto are a bit weird, hard to predict how good the courses actually are from the ratings.

Is Tuthill the only course in the whole state with 20 reviews? I'd say it's about the 4th or 5th best in the state. Big Sioux, Pageant Hill, and Spearfish Canyon are all much better IMO.

I've played the best in:
SD- Tuthill Park (see above)
MN- BRP
CO- Conifer Park/Beaver Ranch
NE- Cottonmill

Only need ten for this list. Still only two courses in SD with ten. The other is jackson

The ratings around Toronto are a bit weird, hard to predict how good the courses actually are from the ratings.
As good as DGCR is, this could probably be said for several areas. To a certain extent, this is where each subsequent review truly has added value, even if it doesn't say anything that hasn't been said before. As you've pointed out yourself before Mash, the larger the sample size, the better the ratings get, as outlier ratings become statistically less significant.

Last edited:
i have played

idlewild, ashe county, sugaree, handyman, mt. Airy, Linoln Ridge/Banklick.. I know that Idlewild is top 5 in the country, All of these courses are 4.00 and above. I love them all. RIP Sugaree. Best course i have evere played.

In my current state, I've only played four of the "top 25 rated" courses:

Castle Hayne (4) - Home course
Barnet Park (15)
West Meadowbrook Park (16)
Eastern Carolina University (22)

All good courses, but ECU is vastly under-rated at #22.

GA - WR Jackson
KY - Idlewild
MA - Maple Hill
NY - Warwick
NC - Ashe County (Played it? Hell, I built it. Well, I helped.)
SC - Stoney Hill

Ashe and Warwick are tied for my personal top spot.

holy cow I can't believe I forgot Connecticut. I lived 3 miles from the course for a year:

CT - Wickham

CT - All of top 5, 6 of top 10
MA - 3 of top 5, 5 of top 10, 8 of top 20
NY - 2 of top 10
NC - 3 of top 5, 10 of top 20
SC - 3 of top 5, 5 of top 10, 12 of top 20

WA- Shelton Springs
OR- Hornings
NV- Zepher Cove
GA- WR Jackson
MN- Blue Ribbon Pines
RI- Ninigret
CT- Wickham
DEL- Iron Hill
WV- Whippin Post
AR- Marana Rocks

I'd love to count Beaver Ranch for Colorado but it's currently # 2. I rate it as my most favorite course anywhere!

Kind of the problem with "highest rated" is that its a moving target, and in states like mine, the top rated list looks more like "top rated courses that happen to be in urban areas". The #13 rated course in my state blows away most of the ones on the top 10 list, but is sitting down at that number because of a few pissy reviewers who think 150% of a course's merit relies on it having tee signs.

well, tee signs aren't 150% but they do matter. some courses don't really need them. some do. if they do need them for players to be able to play, then not having them can be detrimental.

i assume you are talking about frontier park. true, a few very low votes skew the ranting for a course that doesnt have many reviews. but the other two trusted reviewers both gave it a 3.5. a 3.5 doesnt sound like the top course in a state.

if a course is listed as open to the public, and not just for tourneys, you have to consider how the course plays outside of tourneys. seems like they do a nice job of cleaning up the course for tourneys and keeping players in the right direction, but the rest of the time its a substantially worse course

I've only got two -

NC - Ashe County
WI - Rollin Ridge

I plan on playing Harmon Hills on Monday, so that will put me up to 3.

I am slightly embarrassed to say I haven't even played the #1 in my home state of Georgia. I've been to the IDGC twice, but played Steady Ed with my wife the first time, and Jim Warner with my son after 2 rounds at the Birdie Bash at Patriots Park. (We weren't up for a 4th round that day) I do have #2-11 in Georgia, and #2 for Mississippi, Alabama, and South Carolina, though.

CO- Beaver Ranch
CT- Wickham
DE- Iron Hill
IL- Foundation Park
IN- Seviren Lang
IA- Wildcat Bluff
KS- Jones Park
KY- Idlewild
MD- Seneca Creek
MA- Maple Hill
MO- Waterworks
NV- Zephyr Cove
NY- Brakewell Steel
OR- Meadow Ridge
TN- Harmon Hills
VA- Hawk Hollow
WI- Rollin Ridge

Add Tyler (Pennsylvania) and The Whippin Post (West Virginia), take away Beaver Ranch (thought it was tops in CO but it's not) bringing my new total to 18.

Only 3 #1 courses

CA- Birds of Paradise
MO- Water Works Park
NV- Zephyr Cove

But I've got lots of others just below the top spot.

I've played 20 states top rated course.

Need more!!!

Played the top-rated course in 14 of 21 states.

(going by DGCR criteria, which excludes courses that have not received a certain number of reviews)

112 courses played in 20 states.
5 states top rated courses played.

CT-Wickham Park
KY-Idlewild
NH-Salmon Falls
PA-Moraine SP
WV-Whippin' Post

Latest posts