• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] How many fairway/control drivers do you use?

How many fairway/control drivers do you carry?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 6 2.6%

Votes: 17 7.2%

Votes: 52 22.1%

Votes: 65 27.7%
  • 5+

Votes: 95 40.4%

• Total voters
Just Ascents as of right now. Although I do see my Ibexes as more than just mids, as they fly pretty driver like. So they get a lot of the work that a second fairway mold would get.

I am carrying 4 atm.

DX Gazelle (beat turnovers and Annys)
Glo Gazelle (worn for straight shots)
12x Non-flat Firebird (slightly overstable shots)
Metal Flake FAF Firebird (Overstable)

I'd like to get a candy pro firebird x to replace the 12x but I'm kind of a cheap. Lol
And I'll be adding circle stamp gazelles that were just released from the factory store.
Firebirds are distance drivers, but I'm using em as fairways.

5+ including two control drivers and 2 escapes. It might be a few less with more escapes as I beat some in over the next year.

In my full bag I usually carry 4 but sometimes throw in another TL depending on what course I'm playing.

SPD newer
SPD seasoned
C TL seasoned
C Mamba
*CAL TL newer

... didn't put the firebird in because i dont really consider it a control driver but i guess for some that might count

In my full bag I usually carry 4 but sometimes throw in another TL depending on what course I'm playing.

SPD newer
SPD seasoned
C TL seasoned
C Mamba
*CAL TL newer

... didn't put the firebird in because i dont really consider it a control driver but i guess for some that might count

I didn't put in the Firebird for the same reason. I'm surprised you have a Mamba in your bag with your arm b/c they are very flippy. Wouldn't a Mamba be considered a low speed Distance Driver not a Fairway?

Predator, three Eagle x (circle stamped champ, heavy SEX, light current run Star), Volt, Stalker, River, Mamba.

Predator obviously is the most OS, followed by the Eagles. The Volt is arguably the longest, straightest disc in my bag. Stalker just fills in when I feel it's just too far to throw a Buzzz, and the River is for those low power hyzerflips or times I need to turn right to about 280'. The Mamba is for long rollers, or big ol sky high anhyzers that fade back to flat just before the ground.

I didn't put in the Firebird for the same reason. I'm surprised you have a Mamba in your bag with your arm b/c they are very flippy. Wouldn't a Mamba be considered a low speed Distance Driver not a Fairway?

to me it's a control driver, same thing with the PD's. i dont use the mamba all that often but i feel much more comfortable throwing it on a turnover line in some situations instead of going with my FH which is still a work in progress. it's also great for standstill shots because of its glide and of course rollers.

dang, yo. so many of you guys have so many discs, haha.

i carry 3. one for straight/turnover, one for straight with fade/hyzer routes, and an S-PD for something to put some muscle on - it'll go straight a long way down a tunnel but can definitely take the distance shot too.

so, pinnacle rival, pinnacle patriot (i have a freak that acts like my rival, though . . .) and S-PD.

i also agree with what gripenemy said. mids go a long way. i rarely find myself using a driver. if i want something that's point and shoot with good distance, i just use my axis.

2 X Star Leopards (1 x Turnover, 1 x Straight)
2 x Star TLs (1 x Flex, 1 x Small Fade)
1 x Glow Champ Teebird (Big Fade),
1 x Star Firebird (Overstable), 1 x Champ Firebird (Stupid Overstable)

I carry 4 molds and 7 discs which seems like a lot. However I only carry 3 distance drivers (XCal for crazy wind, D3 for big hyzers, D4 for open flex drives).

Last edited:
Based on the poll, it seems like people are throwing more molds than I anticipated, though I think there's a bit of skewing from those counting # of discs as opposed to # of molds.

Also, personally, I'd include any majorly OS discs in this, but to each his own. I can see the argument against doing so.

I don't throw distance drivers. And what i carry depends on the wind and what course I play, But i could get away with having 4 drivers- 3 molds

GL Trident 175g 8/10
Champ Teebird 175g 8/10
VIP Underworld 173g newish
Tourney Underworld 167g Beat

I have the same problem you have I think. I love my underworld and I love my teebird, but i feel like i need something i the middle that will not turn, but not fade. Thats why i picked up the VIP heavier Underworld. It seems to do alright, but i haven't used it too much yet. I always just power the Beat underworld down a bit and Hyzer the crap out if it. I used to use stags, but went back to the Teebird because its more forgiving and better in the wind for me. Maybe a TL would work for you. Or a heavy River

Yeah, that's pretty much my dilemma. I think the Underworld is the bee's knees, but even a max weight VIP turns too much for a straight shot that can't afford to go right. I just lost my 176 VIP on Monday because of a failed attempt at a hyzer flip.

I just picked up an Air Stag to see if it's what I want. Otherwise I think I'll try a heavy Opto River next, since I used to throw them in Gold Line.

If you want to try an inexpensive fix, you can beat up a DX Eagle just a bit and it will fit nicely between the stag and underworld. Leopard or patriot will also fill that slot.

I'm not a fan of the Leo, but the Patriot could definitely be a possibility. Never tried a Legacy disc before. How's the glide on it?

Two star teebirds, pro leopard, star leopard, xxx, and currently testing the 3rd run c-line pd. so 6 I guess.

The xxx is more of a utility, but its still a fairway. The pd is nice, but I also like the shock and F2 for an overstable fairway slot.

Latest posts