• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many people/animals did you hit?

I came really close to hitting a squirrel in the head this week. It was an errant, really low drive, and I couldn't have missed him by more than half an inch or so. I didn't even notice him when I threw, as a decent throw shouldn't have been anywhere close to him.:doh:

Unfortunately, I have hit a person in his calf, who was fishing on the pond that runs all along the fairway of hole 17 at Riverside Park. I apologized profusely and he was cool about it.
Fortunately, it was a medium Vibram rubber disc and not a Champion/Z plastic disc. I don't think he would have been as cool about it if it wasn't a Vibram.

I hit my own dog in the butt. She was running down the fairway at Mcpherson hole 3. I threw a perfect low hard hyzer down the slight hill and it hit her in the rear as she was bounding down the fairway. I have also hit a goose while it was flying. that was funny.

About a month ago, I turned a shot over a bit too much and hit a parked Dodge Ram in the taillight and busted a hole right in it. I found the guy, told him what I did and ended up paying him $50 for a replacement...
I didn't expect a shot that had already traveled 200 ft. to still have power left in it to do that. I now have more respect for flying discs. They are not really deadly weapons but they are dangerous.

Playing doubles with a couple friends at highbridge hills. We were looking for my partners disc, found it, so I walked up to mine to mark it. I lean down to drop my marker and pick up my disc and bam. Bounced off my lower back and hits me right in the head behind my ear. Definitely didn't feel good but we all had a good chuckle. He threw his shot for some reason and he thought it wasn't going to hit me he said... no fore either. Always yell fore, loud and proud is what I always say.

None so far and I hope it stays that way.

My wife got grazed on the forehead by a young boy once. The poor kid was with his dad and apparently having a bad day. On the previous hole we saw them attempting to retrieve one of the boy's disc out of the top off a tree. By this point dad had had enough DG for the day. After he made the boy apologize for throwing on us and hitting my wife he dragged him away.

So far, I've never hit anyone with a disc. The only animals that I know of would be spiders at Lake Claiborne State Park. There were so many of them that you stepped on them with every step you took and you probably hit them with at least half of your shots. This was last November when we went there for our yearly disc golf trip.

On the plus side, there were zero mosquitoes, flies or gnats because if they landed anywhere, they'd be eaten. Lots of deer there too. Very beautiful setting for a couple of great disc golf courses. As long as you don't have arachnophobia, I'd highly recommend the cabins and the courses for a great time.

I hit someone once. Felt like sh** for a long time (even now...). They were on a path and stopped to watch us drive. This was a long time ago when Control was.... minimal. Keeping details to myself. Don't do it!

I had a friend get pegged in the forehead once. Pretty bloody. Blind hole, crossing fairways. Hard to place any blame. Discs are dangerous!

I think I hit a groundhog today, if not then I certainly scared the crap out of him. I didn't see him, the grass was a bit high, but right where/when my disc landed his fat little ass jumped up and hurriedly waddled back to the woods. I apologized, but it was a great drive.

I had a friend get pegged in the forehead once. Pretty bloody. Blind hole, crossing fairways. Hard to place any blame. Discs are dangerous!

This ^^ is why MarkDSM posted this...
This is a little bit of a bad juju and taboo subject here. Not really needed so much. Every sportsman has whoopsies, learn, and then move on better. Rarely is there a true teachable moment as nearly all are hits are common sense fixes and best practices.

DGCR open forums are very searchable and a top hit with searches of "disc golf <whatever>". DGCR has been used as a research tool for and in some cases against disc golf. Many here limit dirty laundry sharing for personal and love of the game reasons.

Last edited:
^Right on.

I'll add I've been (heavily) playing disc golf for almost ten years and those were the only two accidents I've witnessed.

I threw my Buzzz on Friday that skipped and apparently trapped a bumble bee under it. Bee was not a happy camper when I picked up my disc, but he wasn't injured.

Edit: sorry to continue this if it's heading to landfill. Thought it was the best place to share a silly story.

Last edited:
On the people have been hit theme. I'll place our sport up against most in this category. If you look at it in a vacuum it never looks good, but comparatively speaking, we do pretty well. We actually think about it, and plan to avoid it. It's a pretty mature approach for the sport as a whole.

To give a fun point of comparison. In the first three months of this year 70 people were hit by cars in downtown Houston. Cars can be dangerous when used while texting. Anything can kill a fool. Good signage and a little thought can go a long way.

Remember, the guy who got the disc golf course removed cause it was dangerous, could be killed by a kid hucking rocks at a squirrel. That's why I advocate the removal of all rocks. Ship them to mars.