• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many shots will be thrown on disc golf courses in 2014?

4 billion sounds about right, maybe a little high. I got 3.6 billion, based on US population and some local counts of one round per week per 200-400 people in nice weather. So, maybe 2 billion to account for winter, then add back in some for Europe. I'll go with 3 billion.

I can't wait until the end of the year to find out the real number!

Somebody is out there counting, right?

3 billion implies about 100 throws per second. If each throw stays in the air for 4 seconds,at any given time there are 400 discs in the air (not counting field work). I read somewhere that there are 1,200 to 1,400 golf balls in flight at any given moment. So, the proportions seem about right.

I was partly joking with my 3.5 trillion number.

However, if you take practice throws, putting practice, field work, emptying your bag...etc...I think there might be that many throws total.

6.02 x 10^23

dunno how to get superscript in a post... :(

There are so many variables in play to arrive at the correct answer that all I could come up with is this...

I was partly joking with my 3.5 trillion number.

However, if you take practice throws, putting practice, field work, emptying your bag...etc...I think there might be that many throws total.

As that's 100 times more than 3.5 billion, then everyone who plays would have to throw 100 times more throws in practice than in play.
So right away we know this # goes out the window, 'cause we know the 80% of discers who are chuckers don't practice. :|

And I'll be doing my part in reducing that # by trying to at least par all my rounds. You hear me, Milo McGiver? You're going down this year! :eek:

Last edited:
There are so many variables in play to arrive at the correct answer that all I could come up with is this...

hilarious! :)

actually, i do care. i'm thinking about the odds of a thrown disc on a course seriously injuring someone. let's say, conservatively, that the number of throws per year is 2 billion. let's say, pessimistically, that someone is seriously injured by a golf disc on a course 20 times a year. that's one serious injury out of every 100,000,000 throws. also: if you take 4500 courses and divide by the number of serious injuries, an average course will have a serious injury once every 225 years.

moderate injuries -- e.g., a bad bruise or an ugly welty -- are more frequent, i'd guess. perhaps one in every 2,000,000 throws (50x more frequent that serious, just to throw out a number). which means one moderate injury on an average course every 4.5 years...

^^(up two)^^Interesting way to estimate: in order to demonstrate that DG is actually a fairly 'safe' sport, statistically. Parks put in football and soccer fields, and have how many moderate to severe injuries per year? Hmmm...

If it helps any, I've personally thrown 52906 shots in less than two and a half years. I've actually been hit by a flying disc only once (no damage whatsoever: it was a blizzard driver ;)). I've seen two others hit by noobs (still nothing serious, except the victim getting a little pissed off).

I'd say parks can approve courses with confidence if they take their time and consult local clubs and experienced designers. :thmbup:

Latest posts