• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How necessary is an overstable mid?

Mids are good for limiting how far you throw like a spike hyzer for short above obstacles throws. Also s-curves around obstacles but bot going far like a driver s-curves would. Because s-cruves are distance lines and most drivers pick up distance by a lot and for shorter distances they are hopelessly too long and putters cannot reach everything. Most putters that are overstable are mostly short for putters except Prodiscus Jokeri and that is rare in the bags of disc golfers.

I have a Champ Gator in my bag, and it gets a lot of use. Its really hard to throw a short S curve with most putters and mids, and its tough to finesse an overstable driver if you just want lots of fade/skip instead of TONS of fade/skip. Also, mids are just more comfortable in my hand, so even though I could throw that big hyzer with an overstable driver, I'd rather do it with the Gator if its in range.

I purchased a couple of Opto Pains to complement Warships. Will still need to test if they make enough difference compared to Premium Jokeris.

Pwingles said:
Thats a very general situation. It would depend on distance to the turn, distance needed to go past the turn, my ceiling, can i throw a skip, how bad do i get punished if i am short/long, lots of variables. But the jist of what youre trying to describe to me is a situation that you would absolutely need a drone for because you are comfortable with that shot inthat spot.

I could throw several discs and shots there (unless you wanna get more specific about the lie) with a handful of different discs. Knee jerk reaction would be zone if i didnt have a ceiling to worry about (which is similar to what youd likely use a drone for), or if there was a ceiling issue, or a good possibility i can skip it i would throw a FB/OS fairway. Even with the wind a fh roller can be thrown there, as it cut the wind would help it around tho its prolly not the best choice.

The question you should be asking yourself is why are YOU limited on what to throw there?

*u mad Pmantle? You seem offended.

I am not limited at all. I would be throwing either a Zone, Wasp, or Firebird pending everything you said as well. I was genuinely interested in what you would use. Assuming it is 100 straight and 90° left for 50ft, either a Zone in the air, or a Firebird on a skip. If it's more like 125ft with a left finish, probably a Wasp.

Latest posts