• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to deal with the cold?

crunkjuice

I started playing heavily this summer in the Texas heat. Now that its starting to drop temperatures, i'm wondering how you guys (northerners especially) deal with cold hands for disc golf? Do you guys throw with gloves on, wear gloves in between throws, hand warmers NFL style?

Here in The Last Frontier the diehards play all winter, although our course selection dwindles to just a select few. I never personally throw with my gloves on, but they go right back on when it's particularly cold out. I do know some that seem to be able to throw with gloves, so that may be a possibility for you. A lot of us use the Hotties handwarmers too, just put one in each pocket of your jacket and you'll have a toasty spot for your hands all day. I've found that a pair of mittens with the handwarmers inside is a pretty nice setup. The real problem for us is locating our disc in all the white stuff :lol:

Mittens with hand warmers in them in Vermont works best...and once the snow starts and run ups seem impossible I start working on standstill shots off the t playing from the shorts. Love winter golf

Using balloon ribbon with duct tape in a warm environment on the bottom of the discs in the center makes looking for discs a breeze.

You must be up in the pan handle or something :) The weather in the Texas I live in is only now starting to become enjoyable. I'll take 70 degrees over 100+ any day.

allsport1313 said:
You must be up in the pan handle or something :) The weather in the Texas I live in is only now starting to become enjoyable. I'll take 70 degrees over 100+ any day.

We had a cold front that i played when it was in the 50's and it was messing with my hand, so i figured i'd prep for actual cold when it comes. I'm a summer oriented guy. I'll go out at high noon, 115 degrees and play a round or two no problem. 50 degrees? Break out the wool.

Handwarmers and or gloves between throws sounds like what i'll try and see what i like.

Snow available, come get yours for free! I throw without a glove in -30C°, Keltik's advice is gold.

Crunkjuice said:
We had a cold front that i played when it was in the 50's and it was messing with my hand, so i figured i'd prep for actual cold when it comes. I'm a summer oriented guy. I'll go out at high noon, 115 degrees and play a round or two no problem. 50 degrees? Break out the wool.

Handwarmers and or gloves between throws sounds like what i'll try and see what i like.

Haha even though it ended up getting up to 70 in the afternoon, I did go out early morning to play in the 50 degree weather. But holy crap it was awesome! Finally wasn't drenched in sweat or carrying a gallon of water! We need way more of those days!

50 degrees? A cold front?!?! Come on out to Chicago in Feb. Double digit wind chill, 30+ mph winds, a couple feet of snow. It's a different game for sure, but tons of fun!

Merino wool underlayer is warm even when wet and it wicks moisture fairly well and breathes. Technical trousers and jackets for breathing because wading in the snow is hard job like jogging and you're gonna sweat. So the sweat needs to be dissipated. Mitten for colder weather and grippy discs like FLX or rubber. Note that Vibram rubber is less grippy than older grippier FLX blends after a year even though when new X Link medium is grippier in putters than FLX. After washing/rubbing the lube off of the Vibram discs. A more nature friendly way to disposable hand warmers if to use a reusable acetalsomething heat package that will heat you nicely for 20 minutes per palm sized pack. They are recharged by putting them in hot water. They use a metal plate to activate the heating process and in something like 10 F they are inside a frozen solid mass of the warmer an can be hard to activate kinda defeating the purpose. Especially if you're in danger like freezing the fingers off (almost happened while not golfing 2 years ago) so it is good to have a backup. Like a disposable warmer. There are footwarmers too but they are more expensive than handwarmers and i've heard some say that people can get burned by putting hand warmers in a shoe from too much heat. Another option is to use electrical heating like Hotronic FootWarmer or similar products. Aviators, military and motorcyclists have clothing that uses electrical wiring inside clothing to warm you up and those tend to be very expensive and those made from metals can be brittle so an expensive failure. Some use batteries instead of the electrical systems of the plane or the bike. Some have more durable wiring than iron or steel. I haven't heard of functioning cheap electrical heating. Unless you build one yourself and then it is iffy.

I haven't experimented enough with my FootWarmer to say which is the easiest way to use it but it works fine in above freezing temps Zip Loced with the pouch being filled with polyester wool and the pouch being inside a pocket. I'd need to buy an extra large mitten to fit the FootWarmer inside for easy operation (buttons to push and flat wiring to avoid from bending to breakage) like putting the hand into the mitten after throwing just like a normal mitten. While maintaining dryness because electricity and water don't mix too well and the heater gets hot enough to melt snow. Perhaps an extra large mitten with the battery attached (comes with a clip) put inside a Zip Loc would work. That has been the plan for when it gets so cold that i'll get problems.

A cheaper solution would be fisherman's glove or sports glove with grip enhancers that is thin enough without large seams to allow a good grip even while putting. I have not found perfect gloves despite trying on a couple of dozen of different ones. So if you're hand and have access to thin thin seam durable gloves that you can coat with some sort of grippy material like soft tacky rubber or sand for abrasive grip you should have enough grip and some warming up. I have thrown with glove on at times in the coldest part of the year and i have put the gloved hand inside a mitten in between the throws for simple and nice solution. I got the FootWarmers this fall so i have no snow experience with them yet nor have i used mitten/ Zip Loc in practice because all the mitten i have are too small. Which reminds me to go to a store to see if can find a large enough mitten to try this idea on.

Gloves are nice in the winter down south, but I have an awful lot of gloves that no longer have a match. Be careful not to lose that glove that is supposed to be on your throwing hand. Honestly though, it doesn't usually get cold enough down here to warrant gloves. Just keeping your hands in your pockets (and maybe wear a hoodie with a warmer pocket) and adjusting a little to the cold weather is enough. Also, a couple of layers of long sleeved shirts and a sweater on top is the way to go to keep warm.

I use REBOK wide recievers gloves from walmart there like 15 bucks helps wit grip and keep your hands somewhat warm Im in texas to I play at herry meyers alot

Stay inside.

Or play hockey instead.

Those are my plans for the winter. I don't golf in lousy weather and I don't imagine playing disc golf in lousy weather either.

I'll play a few times during the winter when it's really crappy out. Gore-tex shoes, smartwool socks, waterproof north face pants, a comfortable jacket with layers. Mittens (not gloves) with handwarmers to keep your fingers warm and flexible. That's about it. I've done the ribbon taped to the bottom of the disc and it really works. I've also used glowsticks (like for night golf) and you're able to see the discs under the snow. I'll play as long as it's over 20 degrees.

This time of year it's no problem, just layer up a little bit and wear some gloves. If you don't play under 50 degrees then your season is pretty short around here. The time of year that really sucks here in Chicago is March-April, when it's still cold but the courses are swamps from the melting snow. It's not even worth it to play then.

I use a reusable zippo hand warmer in my right hand pocket (although I also carry a couple disposable ones in my bag, just in case) for my throwing hand. A glove on my non throwing hand, Kahtoola micro spikes are worn over high top gortex hiking shoes if its snowy or icy, and for deep snow ill also wear gators and snow pants to keep snow out of my shoes and myself dry.

Also, when playing in snow leave your disks outside overnight beforehand. Otherwise snow tends to cling to them. if the disk is cold you can just give it a quick knock, and the snow falls right off leaving the disk dry.

As others have mentioned curling ribbon and duct tape is the key to locating them in deep snow. I usually do up 5-10 discs with ribbon after the first snow and it lasts all winter if done properly.

Oh yeah, you'll need an insulated container to pour your beer in. Beer freezes and gets slushy when its down around zero out.

"Also, when playing in snow leave your disks outside overnight beforehand. Otherwise snow tends to cling to them. if the disk is cold you can just give it a quick knock, and the snow falls right off leaving the disk dry."

This is extremely important when playing in the snow. Just leave your bag in your car. But make sure you keep your nalgenes inside because apparently in 20 degree weather they don't defrost. :)

Try keeping your hands inside your vagina for warmth... ;) It doesn't actually get cold here, I'd probably just not play lol.