• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I crave competition, but I’m not very good. Suggestions?

Quinntastic

Birdie Member
So I'm kind of at a crossroads here. I've always been a pretty competitive person. I really enjoy when I'm playing against a group or a personal score I would like to beat. I can throw great shots, but actually putting a round together is something I can't seem to do. I'm just not very good hahaha. I've been playing 15 years now, almost 16, and I think I've carded 2 rounds under par ever.... probably not really, I'm pretty sure I played course par so meh. I've tried to join leagues and play in small events, but I'm having a hard time having fun when I'm in last place pretty much every time. Ive been playing intermediate fwiw. I play by myself mostly, so I think the biggest thing I like about it is actually playing with someone else, but that's also the most frustrating too. I just feel out of place. This is something I really like to do, but it's not very fun holding up 3 people when you get a 6 and they card 2, especially every other hole.

Does anyone else have this problem? I feel like I haven't reached my best, but over the last 3 years, despite throwing much better shots, I just don't play any better. Should I just play in rec instead? I feel like this is not really my spot because I am usually above that level, and I tend to relate personally with better players, as I've been playing a long time. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like the issue is mainly between your ears. I'd highly recommend reading, "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" by Dr. Rotella.

Move to Rec. Clearly, you're not above that level if you're in last place "pretty much every time" in Intermediate. Unless the Recs in your area are soooo far behind the Intermediates that you're shooting better scores than them while finishing last.

Try it once. If you dominate, you can always go back to the bottom of Intermediate.

I would say simply, you are not playing first and foremost for the 'love of the game', rather you are playing for 'results', which are not under your direct control.

Or another way, structure your golfing goals/aspirations so you can 'win every time'. I know, easier said than done...at the risk of being labeled an armchair psychologist, I would say that in your case, your fear of the consequences of 'success' overrides your ability/potential. In this way, your self image as a golfer, and perhaps a person, remains 'stable'...

From personal experience I can tell you that this particular 'dragon' is tops in ruthlessness and cunning, however, if you can defeat him, he yields tremendous riches, which are well worth the trouble...fwiw

Play your practice rounds will people who you know will smoke you but hype tourself up in your head "I'm gonna beat this dude today" (you probably won't) this mindset has taken about five strokes off of my game lately. Also take the shot you know you can make not the one you think you should. Amd listen to SW22.

You would likely find more success, if you were competitive with yourself and the course. Your preoccupation with others has to be distracting. Why are you so worried about other players' game? Challenge yourself.

Try less, think less, have more fun. you know the shots, just let it fly. Always smile at the basket. Dont watch other peoples shots, practice before the round. Put your mini in your other pocket. Focus on the execution not the result. And buy into the raffle.

If you play the same layout and shoot the same score, and place top 3 in Rec vs. bottom 3 in Int, would you feel very different? To me this is a sport/game you play against your own abilities with the course, while others do the same. Doubles strategy and the last few holes of a tourney where players are within a couple strokes are an exception, for example.

To play par golf it's probably best to focus on never missing within 15', being pretty comfortable within 25'/no 3 putts, and always always always getting into the circle from 150'ish. Learn a FH upshot or OS upshot or whatever works best for you. But if you can always get up and down from within 150' and never 3 putt you'll be fine, and add the occasional birdie when it presents itself without pushing too hard.

Play extra conservatively...safe shots, landing zones... Disc down, etc. Play where you're game is strongest. For me that means a Condor when others are pulling teebirds and up... I can put the Condor about where I want it with negligible risk. I don't see a need to outdrive or keep pace with other's distances. A safe game should land me in the middle of the field...sure, my A game with the whole bag could be a better showing or way worse...

Wear a Trump hat, a Confederate flag t-shirt and if possible, open carry a firearm (this may be against the rule book or park rules). Praise Jesus after every shot and talk about your faith a lot. Most disc golfers are left-wingers so this might give you the psychological edge you need to finish above last place. :|

(yeah, I'd just play Rec and play my casual rounds slower and more strictly to help simulate tourney rounds for preparation).

So I'm kind of at a crossroads here. I've always been a pretty competitive person. I really enjoy when I'm playing against a group or a personal score I would like to beat. I can throw great shots, but actually putting a round together is something I can't seem to do. I'm just not very good hahaha. I've been playing 15 years now, almost 16, and I think I've carded 2 rounds under par ever.... probably not really, I'm pretty sure I played course par so meh. I've tried to join leagues and play in small events, but I'm having a hard time having fun when I'm in last place pretty much every time. Ive been playing intermediate fwiw. I play by myself mostly, so I think the biggest thing I like about it is actually playing with someone else, but that's also the most frustrating too. I just feel out of place. This is something I really like to do, but it's not very fun holding up 3 people when you get a 6 and they card 2, especially every other hole.

Does anyone else have this problem? I feel like I haven't reached my best, but over the last 3 years, despite throwing much better shots, I just don't play any better. Should I just play in rec instead? I feel like this is not really my spot because I am usually above that level, and I tend to relate personally with better players, as I've been playing a long time. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can throw great shots, you like competing, you like playing with people . . . I'd say play more doubles events.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

My guess is, with competitive personality like you describe, you're watching what other players do and subconsciously changing your game to throw shots that are outside your comfort zone. If you've been playing 15 years, you know what shots are in your comfort zone. When you're in a tournament, stick with those shots and you'll score way better. Don't try something you're not good at, just because you saw someone else on your card do it.

I'm in kind of a similar situation, played for quite awhile, but not as long as you have, and I'm not improving very quickly. I play solo a bunch of the time. I love the game and constantly try to focus on a shot at a time and do my best. I will play occasionally with 1 or 2 other players, some much better than me, but my main competition is just me against the course.

It is difficult to prescribe a solution without knowing your goals...
What are you trying to do, win your division, increase player rating, or just improve overall?

If you don't know what your goal is, how can you know if you're working towards your goal or away from it?

If you have a goal, but you're not taking steps to achieve that goal, what is standing in your way?

I've been playing 15 years now, almost 16, and I think I've carded 2 rounds under par ever.... probably not really, I'm pretty sure I played course par so meh. I've tried to join leagues and play in small events, but I'm having a hard time having fun when I'm in last place pretty much every time.

No offense..but if you've been playing the game 15 years and you're still not regularly playing under par, winning some events, etc, then quite frankly...you've learned the game wrong. Seriously...forget what anyone says here and hire a local pro for some lessons and get your game up to spec. If you're not willing to do that.....then...forget about the competitive side and just go throw some plastic and enjoy the health benefits.

Latest posts