• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not really trying to be argumentative here. I know what you are talking about with the Gazelle wing. It's a very distinctive wing; similar to the Cyclone wing. They really don't make discs with wings like that anymore. There is a very pronounced edge of the wing.

The Banshee does have a flat notch at the end of it's wing, but it is not nearly as dramatic in appearance as the end of the Gazelle wing. The edge of the Banshee wing to me looks a lot like the edge of the Eagle X wing, which also has a notch.

There was a disc that came out at about the same time as the Banshee that did have a wing shaped like the Gazelle wing, but it was the Pegasus. Maybe you are just getting the two discs confused.

In the end, I think the Eagle and Banshee are too close in appearance to really tell from a blurry photo. The disc in the picture could be either. If I had the disc in my hand, I could tell by feel which it was by how flat the top of the wing was. I can't really tell that from the picture.

So I think you may be right, it may be an Eagle. I just don't think the picture eliminates it being a Banshee.

I also don't think the picture eliminates it being a TeeBird, which was the more common Ching disc from that era. I find all of the evidence inconclusive.

What is this disc

I recently got this disc, as you can see from the pictures the stamp says 1994 pdga world disc golf championships, pleasure island port Arthur tx. You can't see in the pictures but on the top of the flight plate in very small raised letters it says "designed and produced exclusively for Wham-o by Innova champion disc INC Frisbee is a brand name and registered trademark of Wham-o san gabriel calf 91778. 1897" and on the bottom of the flight plate is says "Innova champion discs Ontario cal 91761 USA" "Paten no 4568297".
Does anybody have any idea what I have here ?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 25
  • photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 24
  • photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 26
So I picked up this mystery disc at play it again sports today, thinking it was an old 10x or CE TL judging by the fingerprinty plastic. However, I got home and realized there is zero tooling on the disc at all. None of the typical "Innova Discs, Rancho Cucamonga CA."

Here are some pictures of it next to some Teebirds, Eagle-Ls and a Leopard for comparison (see imgur image descriptiosn). Unforunately I don't own a Teebird L (TL) which is what I thought it was so I can't compare it to that.

The plastic is incredibly tacky and fingerprinty. I was almost positive it was a TL until I noticed the lack of tooling. I know Discraft made some fingerprinty plastic, but they had tooling on their discs as well. Same could be said for Milennium - it had the Innova tooling on it.

Anyone who could shed some light on this would be much appreciated.

I'm not really trying to be argumentative here. I know what you are talking about with the Gazelle wing. It's a very distinctive wing; similar to the Cyclone wing. They really don't make discs with wings like that anymore. There is a very pronounced edge of the wing.

The Banshee does have a flat notch at the end of it's wing, but it is not nearly as dramatic in appearance as the end of the Gazelle wing. The edge of the Banshee wing to me looks a lot like the edge of the Eagle X wing, which also has a notch.

There was a disc that came out at about the same time as the Banshee that did have a wing shaped like the Gazelle wing, but it was the Pegasus. Maybe you are just getting the two discs confused.

In the end, I think the Eagle and Banshee are too close in appearance to really tell from a blurry photo. The disc in the picture could be either. If I had the disc in my hand, I could tell by feel which it was by how flat the top of the wing was. I can't really tell that from the picture.

So I think you may be right, it may be an Eagle. I just don't think the picture eliminates it being a Banshee.

I also don't think the picture eliminates it being a TeeBird, which was the more common Ching disc from that era. I find all of the evidence inconclusive.

Good point on the Pegasus. I used to have a few on my wall and it was very similar to the Gazelle.

I recently got this disc, as you can see from the pictures the stamp says 1994 pdga world disc golf championships, pleasure island port Arthur tx. You can't see in the pictures but on the top of the flight plate in very small raised letters it says "designed and produced exclusively for Wham-o by Innova champion disc INC Frisbee is a brand name and registered trademark of Wham-o san gabriel calf 91778. 1897" and on the bottom of the flight plate is says "Innova champion discs Ontario cal 91761 USA" "Paten no 4568297".

Definitey a Viper. I had one with the same stamp a while back.

I think that may be a Whamo 44 mold which is essentially a Viper. Three Putt would know better than I, but thats my guess.

Definitey a Viper. I had one with the same stamp a while back.
Both answers are basically right. It's a Wham-O 44, which was a Viper with grip rings. Innova made them and Wham-O sold them. There was a 77 that was a Stingray and a 78 that was a Cobra as well; the only difference was those grip rings on the flight plate.

So I picked up this mystery disc at play it again sports today, thinking it was an old 10x or CE TL judging by the fingerprinty plastic. However, I got home and realized there is zero tooling on the disc at all. None of the typical "Innova Discs, Rancho Cucamonga CA."

Here are some pictures of it next to some Teebirds, Eagle-Ls and a Leopard for comparison (see imgur image descriptiosn). Unforunately I don't own a Teebird L (TL) which is what I thought it was so I can't compare it to that.

The plastic is incredibly tacky and fingerprinty. I was almost positive it was a TL until I noticed the lack of tooling. I know Discraft made some fingerprinty plastic, but they had tooling on their discs as well. Same could be said for Milennium - it had the Innova tooling on it.

Bump. 'Cause I have no clue.

Both answers are basically right. It's a Wham-O 44, which was a Viper with grip rings. Innova made them and Wham-O sold them. There was a 77 that was a Stingray and a 78 that was a Cobra as well; the only difference was those grip rings on the flight plate.

Don't forget about the 91 mold.

there are discraft discs aplenty out there with no tooling. i don't know of any innova discs without.

there are discraft discs aplenty out there with no tooling. i don't know of any innova discs without.
I was thinking that the XS or Xpress or something like that had no tooling, but I don't have any of those lying around to check for some reason.

Found a mold at my local PIAS that they couldn't ID. It has the '07 world's biggest weekend stamp and was marked S OS. It is definantly not a poorly written SDS as they have quite a few marked the same. Wing feels speed 9ish. PLH feels like a stable to OS mold.

I told the guy to post up here, but who knows it he will. Thoughts anyone?

If I remeber right, (which is unlikely) a certain run of Sirius OLS or OLFs were marked that way. Probably the OLS. I may be way off though.

If you PM Zam he will rant for hours about shady business practices...

The S OS was a screw-up run of OLS. Something about it has the wrong mold piece. They fly a lot like a PD, so they are nice flyers. The issue I guess is that Millennium decided not to release the disc or sell it as the SOLS, so it was not approved. When the World's Biggest ones were out, they said that the disc was not approved. A year or two later Millennium stamped them as SOLS's and sold them in Wal-Mart's. By selling them as SOLS's that technically made them legal, except that Millennium had previously stated that they did not consider them legal. So it was a technically legal disc that the company that sold them said was illegal. Clear as mud. Anyway, that's the dealio; it's an oddball run that a lot of people consider illegal but you could really put up a good argument that it was sold as an Orion LS which makes it no different than selling Rancho Rocs under approval specs for the San Marino Roc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.