• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Idio Syncrasy Disc Golf Shoe

Titan037

AKA dgfanatic7
If you're wondering what shoes you should be looking into for disc golf, I would strongly revommend taking a look at these, the Idio Syncrasy is the first shoe built from the ground up for disc golf. This project has been worked on for about 2-3 years now. I have been following it closely and even talked with the owner a little bit.

The first samples were sent to Nate Sexton as well as several others and have gotten very high praise so far

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A KICKSTARTER LINK, THOSE UNFAMILIAR WITH KICKSTARTER SHOULD KNOW THERE IS A HIGHER RISK TO THIS METHOD OF PURCHASING THAN A TRADITIONAL PURCHASE, YOU ARE HELPING MAKE THESE SHOES A REALITY AND YOUR PRODUCT WONT SHIP SHIP UNTIL THE PROPER TIME.

That said, with how closely i have followed the project, and again talking with the owner, i dont believe he has any intention of scamming anyone. Here is the link to the kickstarter which ends in 30 days
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/idiodiscgolfshoe/idio-syncrasy-disc-golf-shoe?ref=discovery&term=Idio

Meh. IMO, wouldnt personally buy. Design and logo are ugly and the price point is too high for an unproven product. Hopefully I can eat my words but good luck getting people away from the big brands. Salient tried and failed. DD tried and failed. Discmania tried and failed. Keen got rid of their disc golf specific shoe. Call me a pessimist but I dont have much hope.

Yeah I backed the kickstarter. Seems well thought out and it's worth the risk. I always had some issue with the shoes I've tried in the past and it looks like these address those issues. Really hope they're a homerun.

Meh. IMO, wouldnt personally buy. Design and logo are ugly and the price point is too high for an unproven product. Hopefully I can eat my words but good luck getting people away from the big brands. Salient tried and failed. DD tried and failed. Discmania tried and failed. Keen got rid of their disc golf specific shoe. Call me a pessimist but I dont have much hope.

I'm in the same boat as you. I haven't seen anything at all indicating a warranty on these. I totally get it, manufacturing gets infinitely cheaper at scale. So however he calculated his costs might not allow for part of the $119 to cover any kind of warranty replacement.

It just sounds like a recipe for disaster. Entitled DG'ers wait several months to receive their Kickstarter shoes then they fall apart in 3 months of heavy abuse and the pitchforks come out. That's not a knock on his design or the build quality…more a statement of DG'ers being DG'ers.

I honestly think he would probably sell a lot more if he offered a non waterproof version at the $99 price point. Anymore I'll only wear my waterproof shoes for early summer rounds when the grass is really dewy or I'm playing somewhere with the potential of finding water. Lighter weight and breathable is preferred and let's me save the unnecessary wear and tear on the waterproofing. If he had both models available and one of the Kickstarter options was a pair of each I think it would've went over well.

Kudos for trying to provide a better solution but for the time being I'm cool with catching $60-70 deals on shoes knowing I'll get 6-12 months out of them.

I want to like them but I just can't get on board yet. First, I don't trust any "waterproof" shoe that doesn't have a Gore-Tex branded membrane. The waterproofing was not great or only lasted a short time on every single non-Gore-Tex shoe I've ever bought.

Second, the toe cap seems so excessively big to me that it looks goofy. I know people were like 50/50 on whether a toe cap was needed, but I'm firmly in the "not needed" camp and so it's weird to have a huge rubber toe when I don't need it.

Third, I question the durability of the sole design. I pivot a little closer to the side of my foot, not really on the heel like all of you people with perfect form. So any time I've bought shoes with defined little lugs like that, the lugs wear down really quickly and I'm left with a smooth sole. I blew through my Salomon Outlines very quickly because of that kind of sole design.

Finally, I get that they were trying to reject the status quo of disc golfers wearing hikers and trail runners. They focused on shoes to help the throwing motion. But playing disc golf still involves a lot of hiking through the woods. The shoes can't be built just for the throwing motion, they've also got to be good for walking a lot. These don't look all that comfy for a long day on my feet.

Going down a rabbit hole of speculation here. Please correct me, but wasn't Titan037 involved with Salient and all the BS surrounding their shadiness. He has started multiple Salient threads and seems to of had insider knowledge of the Salient company. Did he just start this thread or is he involved with this shoe start up.

I hope they do well....but....
I don't care for waterproof shoes. I need shoes that let my feet breathe or the shoes have to stay outside when I get home. Enough said there.
I have a wide front of my foot and narrow heel....for me, I need to try on shoes, so I never buy them online unless I've worn them before and know how they will fit.
I do hope they do well, but they aren't for me...at least not yet.

I played A LOT of tennis when I was younger. I went through shoes like crazy and started using Shoe Goo on the bottoms and toe are to greatly extend the life of my shoes.

A guy called Perky, at the racket club I played at, drug his toe really badly on his serve which was a whole other issue. He had a great diy fix. Even on new shoes he would cut a Lowry a tennis ball so that it would fit around the toe and he would glue it in place. It looked ridiculous, especially with the multi-colored orange/yellow balls, but worked great.

My point you ask? Perky's shoes were the first thing that came to mind when I saw this dg shoe. :D

Boy do I wish I had a pic. I tried to Google it, as I figure someone else tried it, but couldn't find anything.

I played A LOT of tennis when I was younger. I went through shoes like crazy and started using Shoe Goo on the bottoms and toe are to greatly extend the life of my shoes.

A guy called Perky, at the racket club I played at, drug his toe really badly on his serve which was a whole other issue. He had a great diy fix. Even on new shoes he would cut a Lowry a tennis ball so that it would fit around the toe and he would glue it in place. It looked ridiculous, especially with the multi-colored orange/yellow balls, but worked great.

My point you ask? Perky's shoes were the first thing that came to mind when I saw this dg shoe. :D

Boy do I wish I had a pic. I tried to Google it, as I figure someone else tried it, but couldn't find anything.

cant believe that never caught on

Going down a rabbit hole of speculation here. Please correct me, but wasn't Titan037 involved with Salient and all the BS surrounding their shadiness. He has started multiple Salient threads and seems to of had insider knowledge of the Salient company. Did he just start this thread or is he involved with this shoe start up.

Yes I was, I was a dumb broke college student at the time. That said, i am not marketing for idio, just sharing the project if anyone wants to support it. As of now he's over half way funded and has stated the shoes will come with a one year warranty. The fact that both Nate sexton and Eric Oakley have given these shoes high remarks is promising. As I said before I have been following the project since its inception a few years ago. I backed the Kickstarter myself as well.

I want to like them but I just can't get on board yet. First, I don't trust any "waterproof" shoe that doesn't have a Gore-Tex branded membrane. The waterproofing was not great or only lasted a short time on every single non-Gore-Tex shoe I've ever bought.

Second, the toe cap seems so excessively big to me that it looks goofy. I know people were like 50/50 on whether a toe cap was needed, but I'm firmly in the "not needed" camp and so it's weird to have a huge rubber toe when I don't need it.

Third, I question the durability of the sole design. I pivot a little closer to the side of my foot, not really on the heel like all of you people with perfect form. So any time I've bought shoes with defined little lugs like that, the lugs wear down really quickly and I'm left with a smooth sole. I blew through my Salomon Outlines very quickly because of that kind of sole design.

Finally, I get that they were trying to reject the status quo of disc golfers wearing hikers and trail runners. They focused on shoes to help the throwing motion. But playing disc golf still involves a lot of hiking through the woods. The shoes can't be built just for the throwing motion, they've also got to be good for walking a lot. These don't look all that comfy for a long day on my feet.

Goretex is just a branding. I use a pair of north face sneakers that are water proof (not branded gore tex) and they work just as well

it doesnt mean shyt if pros are "sponsored" by them

it means they were paid enough to support/wear/use them

it doesnt mean shyt if pros are "sponsored" by them

it means they were paid enough to support/wear/use them

They aren't sponsored, at least not yet. They were selected as testers and we're sent samples of the shoes but weren't paid. They were the two pros but there were some intermediates and ams that were selected to test as well

They aren't sponsored, at least not yet. They were selected as testers and we're sent samples of the shoes but weren't paid. They were the two pros but there were some intermediates and ams that were selected to test as well

fair enough

Hot take:

Nowhere in the Kickstarter budget was a professionally designed website.

What's he gonna do when the Kickstarter ends?

Goretex is just a branding. I use a pair of north face sneakers that are water proof (not branded gore tex) and they work just as well

I know it's just a branding. But like I said, I've been burned by literally every single "waterproof" shoe that didn't have that branding. So at a certain point it becomes a marker of quality for me. Similarly, you know what you're getting in most cases with a Vibram sole.

That's the risk of buying something totally new and unproven I guess. Maybe they will work great, or maybe your feet will be soaked from wet grass after a few weeks of wear.

I was close to buying. I probably would have at $80. But I found those Kuru trail shoes (played my first round in them--omg scoop them if you find them at the thrift store).

My neighbor kickstarted a pair.

I like the toe.

I'm skeptical.

Hope they are solid. The shoe sitch is messed up.

Ok, case in point. Just today, on the tee pad, a gentle rain began. It was just enough to raise the oils on the concrete pad to force me to find standstill forehand lines on solid dirt.

A shoe that has rubber compound that can be bulletproof in weather on concrete pads. That's important.