• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Idio Syncrasy Disc Golf Shoe

Goretex is just a branding. I use a pair of north face sneakers that are water proof (not branded gore tex) and they work just as well

Sort-of.

They are a material company that develops and patents waterproof/breathable fabrics. The OG material is out of patent and can be made by anyone. That's what things like eVent and other membranes usually are. This shoe if I remember the 30 second read-through I did, it said it was using DWR??? DWR is just a chemical treatment that will ware off. (Gore-tex type fabrics will break down, but it takes a long while)

Yes I was, I was a dumb broke college student at the time. That said, i am not marketing for idio, just sharing the project if anyone wants to support it. As of now he's over half way funded and has stated the shoes will come with a one year warranty. The fact that both Nate sexton and Eric Oakley have given these shoes high remarks is promising. As I said before I have been following the project since its inception a few years ago. I backed the Kickstarter myself as well.

Yea, Im completely out. In your original post, you make a comment that you dont believe the owner is trying to scam anyone and to me thats a red flag. Theres no need for that comment unless there is already some shadiness going on imo.

The quotes on the kickstarter page from the players seem fake and posted by the company itself to try to make their brand more trustworthy.

I dont trust the endorsements by Nate and Eric yet because all I see is two quotes on the kickstarter and they dont seem real.

As someone with big feet, its nice to see that they say they will make any size as long as there are enough orders for that size but then do not say how many shoes need to be ordered in order to make that happen. I cant risk backing the project knowing that I most likely wont be able to get them in my size.

Do you know if the owner or anyone involved with the shoe has had ties with Salient?

Last edited:
Sort-of.

They are a material company that develops and patents waterproof/breathable fabrics. The OG material is out of patent and can be made by anyone. That's what things like eVent and other membranes usually are. This shoe if I remember the 30 second read-through I did, it said it was using DWR??? DWR is just a chemical treatment that will ware off. (Gore-tex type fabrics will break down, but it takes a long while)

I believe it only says DWR on the coating for the shoe bag itself and not on the shoes.

As someone with big feet, its nice to see that they say they will make any size as long as there are enough orders for that size but then do not say how many shoes need to be ordered in order to make that happen. I cant risk backing the project knowing that I most likely wont be able to get them in my size.
Playing devil's advocate here, but the kickstarter does say, "There is no risk in pledging your order. If we cannot produce your size after the close of the Kickstarter, You will not be charged for your order. We will communicate this information to you through our pledge manager."

Playing devil's advocate here, but the kickstarter does say, "There is no risk in pledging your order. If we cannot produce your size after the close of the Kickstarter, You will not be charged for your order. We will communicate this information to you through our pledge manager."

Yea, thats just me and my fourth grade reading level skipping over lines to read. Thats my mistake, thanks for the clarity.

Yea, Im completely out. In your original post, you make a comment that you dont believe the owner is trying to scam anyone and to me thats a red flag. Theres no need for that comment unless there is already some shadiness going on imo.

The quotes on the kickstarter page from the players seem fake and posted by the company itself to try to make their brand more trustworthy.

I dont trust the endorsements by Nate and Eric yet because all I see is two quotes on the kickstarter and they dont seem real.

Do you know if the owner or anyone involved with the shoe has had ties with Salient?

I know for a fact the owner is in no way affiliated with salient. That said I understand your skepticism especially coming from me. That said in regards to Nate, he has worn the shoes since receiving them and you can see them in the homes practice rounds videos he's part of. He hasn't worn a different shoe since.

Horsman- I only mentioned scamming because that's always a possibility with kickstarter hence the disclaimer. I have backed a lot of kickstarters myself of various projects and only been scammed once. Which I know for many is one time too many. There's always a risk with kickstarter but I don't see much of a risk in this particular campaign, that's what I was stating.

I saw the post on Facebook with a link to the uDisc article - https://udisc.com/blog/post/shoe-of-our-own-behind-idios-syncrasy-disc-golf-shoe

The article says he was surprised to find there wasn't a disc golf specific shoe and that no one had cornered that market.

Well, actually there have been disc golf specific shoes....they just don't last. There doesn't seem to be a real market for a disc golf specific shoe. Yes, maybe a few disc golfers would like shoes designed for the sport....but, it doesn't seem to be enough to keep a company in business.

I wish him the best.....but I don't think it will last. Other sport shoes are different enough from regular shoes to be needed. Golf, baseball, football, soccer shoes have cleats...you can't wear them for normal use and normal shoes don't give the grip/traction that cleats do. Basketball and some other sports....you need separate shoes that won't mar/mark the court. But disc golf? All you need is some traction and protection in the toe area - there are already shoes that provide that and the shoes can be used for normal day wear.

Oh...and another thing that I think will hurt his business....look at some conversations on this site and others....there are lots of disc golfers that don't want to pay anything for the sport except for their discs. Look at course ratings...there's lots of 'boo, this course wants money to play it....I'm not paying to play'. There's a course near where I used to live that just asked $3 USD to play and people would park outside and climb the fence to play without paying. Almost cost the use of the course.

Pay for shoes that are designed to be worn only for disc golf? I don't see it happening. Nate Sexton might say he'll wear them once they are produced? But is he getting them for free to sponsor the company? The article says he was a tester....but what happens if he has to pay for them - are they really better than another shoe he can get at that price?

I know for a fact the owner is in no way affiliated with salient. That said I understand your skepticism especially coming from me. That said in regards to Nate, he has worn the shoes since receiving them and you can see them in the homes practice rounds videos he's part of. He hasn't worn a different shoe since.

For someone who's not personally invested.....you certainly seem mightily personally invested.....

For someone who's not personally invested.....you certainly seem mightily personally invested.....

I mean you can think what you want, but there's a difference between being personally invested and just making sure the right information is being communicated. Especially considering that is a very big part of my day job.

Oh...and another thing that I think will hurt his business....look at some conversations on this site and others....there are lots of disc golfers that don't want to pay anything for the sport except for their discs. Look at course ratings...there's lots of 'boo, this course wants money to play it....I'm not paying to play'. There's a course near where I used to live that just asked $3 USD to play and people would park outside and climb the fence to play without paying. Almost cost the use of the course.

Pay for shoes that are designed to be worn only for disc golf? I don't see it happening. Nate Sexton might say he'll wear them once they are produced? But is he getting them for free to sponsor the company? The article says he was a tester....but what happens if he has to pay for them - are they really better than another shoe he can get at that price?

There's a FAQ on the kickstarter, and there's a question about sponsorships, it's possible it could be an option for him in the future, but if they shoes weren't doing well for him, I doubt he would have continued wearing them after the initial testing period

I mean you can think what you want, but there's a difference between being personally invested and just making sure the right information is being communicated. Especially considering that is a very big part of my day job.

It just seems like you know more than you're letting on. This "right information" you speak of, how do you know more than any of us others? You are certainly coming across as invested.

Just my opinion, carry on.

There's a FAQ on the kickstarter, and there's a question about sponsorships, it's possible it could be an option for him in the future, but if they shoes weren't doing well for him, I doubt he would have continued wearing them after the initial testing period

Yes....he kept wearing them because he owns them. My point/question was....if he's not sponsored/paid to wear them and they wear out.....would he buy another pair and wear them, or would he wear another shoe brand? That's what I would like to know when an athlete/celebrity supports their sponsor......would you still use <item> if you had to buy it yourself? For example....if Paul McBeth was no longer sponsored by any disc golf brand...would he still throw Discraft discs? If an athlete/celebrity can convince me they would buy and use a product even if they weren't paid to use it...that would tell me they really believe in the product and aren't just being paid to say they like it.

That's what I don't understand.....so the Kickstarter closes....he's hit his dollar amount. Whoops, there's 20 people who paid the amounts where their package includes the shoes, but, wait, their shoe sizes are 'off' sizes and we aren't going to make them (at least not for some time). So, their money gets paid back.....which means the Kickstarter didn't make its goal.

I've never heard of a Kickstarter paying back money unless they got sued for it (may have happened....I just haven't heard of it).

It just seems like you know more than you're letting on. This "right information" you speak of, how do you know more than any of us others? You are certainly coming across as invested.

Thats where Im at. He seems to know more than he is letting on and has already been a part of a scam company so its kinda hard to believe what hes saying.

Seems credible to me.

:|

Totally credible. Yeah.

:|

I can't help but wonder how salient the people involved with Salient are in this endeavor.

Last edited:
Yes....he kept wearing them because he owns them. My point/question was....if he's not sponsored/paid to wear them and they wear out.....would he buy another pair and wear them, or would he wear another shoe brand? That's what I would like to know when an athlete/celebrity supports their sponsor......would you still use <item> if you had to buy it yourself? For example....if Paul McBeth was no longer sponsored by any disc golf brand...would he still throw Discraft discs? If an athlete/celebrity can convince me they would buy and use a product even if they weren't paid to use it...that would tell me they really believe in the product and aren't just being paid to say they like it.
I gotcha, and yeah those are definitely valid questions

Fair enough. I just am on Facebook and YouTube too much is what it comes down to lol. If I want to learn about something I really spend a lot of time around it. I have only messaged the owner through Facebook, to mainly give him my input when it came to the design, weight of the shoe, aggressive outer tread and waterproofing being the main ones from me personally, asked a couple questions and that's about it, that was 2 years ago when he first started the project. Like I said I understand what you're saying, especially after what horsman has said, I will say the difference is I'm not hyping these shoes up, I don't think they're the best thing out there, just sharing the Kickstarter and helping to answer questions where I can based off that Kickstarter campaign and updates. Some people find it useful, some don't, some find it suspicious and that's fine, they will stay far away from the campaign, that's their choice. It doesn't matter to me either way? I just like talking about this stuff honestly and tend to put faith in things that don't always work out in the end, obviously.

That's what I don't understand.....so the Kickstarter closes....he's hit his dollar amount. Whoops, there's 20 people who paid the amounts where their package includes the shoes, but, wait, their shoe sizes are 'off' sizes and we aren't going to make them (at least not for some time). So, their money gets paid back.....which means the Kickstarter didn't make its goal.

I've never heard of a Kickstarter paying back money unless they got sued for it (may have happened....I just haven't heard of it).

I'm sure others will raise questions about this on the Kickstarter directly, sellers do pay fees to Kickstarter they do also have the option to do refunds, most don't. That said he may have taken that all into account and added a buffer to his goal to be on the safe side. That would have been the smart thing to do.