• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If it's not a teepad, what is it?

The part about a "hilljack" shotgunning someone definitely could be real, if we're talkin' 'bout Kouts. :D :p

So, here I am cruising across northern Indiana looking for a place to camp. These backroads continue to lead nowhere, or maybe more correctly somewhere, when where I want to be is nowhere. First off, there's no gravel roads anywhere, gravel roads are most often the easiest place to find a guerrilla camp site, one tarred back road leads to another, to a main highway, to another tar back road, to..... road closed. Appears to be some bridge work being done, just to the right is an empty parking lot that seems to be fenced off from the surrounding farm fields...?
attachment.php

Seems like it could be a fine place to park for the night. And as I pull into the parking lot I notice, what I have to automatically assume is a teepad in the corner:

attachment.php

Heck yeah, I stumbled upon an unlisted course in some random place they call Kouts, IN. Before I grab my discs I have to scout out hole 1... Of course there's nothing, no fairway (only a road down to the boat launch at the river) no basket, no sign of any other tee pads, just this random concrete rectangle in a random parking lot.

Of course, the tee sign - a solid 6"x6" post in the ground that is half rotted and shows no hole information, only a small aluminum canister. I pull the canister from the rotted hole in the post, someone's secret stash...
attachment.php

Yeah, I knew what it was, I've been geocaching before, dumb techie sport if you ask me, but I get it. Hide random game piece in the tee sign for hole 1. Or... random wooden post next to random concrete rectangle. Which of course begs the question, if it's not a teepad, what is it?
You are one of only a few people who could run across something so random. I have discovered a few courses totally at random before and only because I drive to all those small town crappy courses and from place to place I have spotted courses that just aren't known. Its fun and exhilerating. I think maybe you should design your own course over the next week. Pick the basket locations clear the overgrowth and put the baskets in and have a DGCR meetup there!

Did you have a tape measure to see the actual measurements?

My guess is it could have been a place for a gas tank possibly, although those may or may not normally be fastened to the concrete? Or perhaps an old course that had to come out but they just never got around to removing the concrete. Any other suspicious looking things in the area?

Another possiblity is that you stumbled across the very unique the incredibly different and the elusive zero basket course. It is a teepad and you can choose where you throw! That's so much cooler than the 3, 2, and 1 hole course I have listed on DGCR!

On another note, looking for something off the wall to do in Indiana . . . go paint a coat on the worlds largest ball of paint in Alexandria, IN. We chose burgandy in honor of our Alma mater U of MN. Go Gophers! 10696 N 200 W, Alexandria, IN 46001 765-724-4088 [email protected]

My wife and I did it 2 years ago on our roadtrip to Florida, and yes we drove an hour out of the way to do it.

Yeah, you're in Kouts by the river. Could be anything...

^This. :D

If we never hear from poor Martin again, we'll know it was the hilljacks that got 'im! :|

I did some googling
http://www.koutsindiana.org/kankakeeriver.php

Scroll down to the Dunns bridge County Park portion . . . I would guess this is the parking lot you are in?

I confirmed this is most definitely the parking for the boat launch. It pulled up a google image just a short distance from that parking lot.

Last edited:
Porkfest? Sounds like fun!

Koutsporkfest.com

Thanks for opening our eyes to the great town of Kouts, IN. Need to add it to my wishlist.

(the flyer says there is a "cornhole tournament"!)

Kouts was founded by a Pennsylvania Farmer and is a small town of 2000 white people.....yep sounds like porkfest to me...lol

Porkfest?

(the flyer says there is a "cornhole tournament"!)

Seems like strange things for a guy named ForTheGloryHole to be mentioning. Sorry if this gets me in trouble, but I couldn't resist.