• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] If you could only use 5 discs for the rest of your life...

Why exactly would I only use five discs for the rest of my life? Stranded on an island I can't get off of, but it has a course? I just can't suspend reality long enough to answer. :\

You could start banning people when they make threads like this

You could start banning people when they make threads like this
At one point years ago I stickied a "You can only throw X # of discs" thread and dumped all the threads together. There was like 3-4 posts a week about "You can only use three discs" or "you can only use four discs", etc, etc, lather, rise, repeat. For some reason they got on my nerves. I can calmly respond to eight Roc threads a day, but something about this particular topic struck me as especially pointless.

OK, we can use five discs. One is going to be a putter. I'm choosing Wizard, somebody else chooses Judge or whatever. Then we need a good multi-purpose midrange. I'm leaning Roc. Maybe Comet. Somebody else says Buzzz and another person says Truth. Whatever. I guess I find your disc preference secondary. You need a putter and a mid.

My slots would be putter/mid/stable control/overstable control/max distance. What I choose to fill those slots (especially that last one) is my personal preference based on my throw and my ability. I'd be more interested in somebody who would say "I'm not carrying any control drivers, I'm going putter/stable mid/overstable mid/understable max distance/overstable max distance" and what that reasoning is than the "I'd carry a Warden" "I'd carry a Rhyno" breakdown of what putter people would use.

That's just me though...

I'm going to assume I can carry several of each? In different plastics?
Tern, Trak, Teebird, Roc, Sole

If I have to choose plastics: Glow Tern, Firm Trak, Champ Teebird, KC Roc, Medium Sole, all max weight.

Not sure, actually, why I think I need to carry any others.

Oh right, because it's fun.

From 9/8/2014.

Mildly OS high speed driver.
OS fairway
US fairway
Rocs
Mildly OS putter

I still think highly of all those discs. But today I'm not sure I'd even order it that way.

I'd probably take two OLFs, two Rocs, and a Wizard nowadays.
If we get multiples of each:
Destroyers
Firebirds
OLFs
Rocs
Wizards

Five single discs? D Magnet, Z Buzzz, FLX Drone, QJLS, Champ Banshee.

Five molds but multiples allowed? Breakers, Buzzz' (if a Roc3/Rancho/Sanny/Ontario are all considered a Roc, then the BuzzzOS/SS are a Buzzz too), Eagles, Giants. No need for a fifth.

Huh...surprised I answered the second part the way I did.

Five individual discs looks very similar:

Gravity Clutch, ESP Buzzz, beefy Champ TB, DX TB, not sure about the fifth. Beat Champ TB?

Five molds:

Clutch, Buzzz, Teebird, ummm. Xcal and Cannon? Drone and Cobra?

So I guess my last answer wasn't very good since my discs would be different.
5 molds:
Aviar
Comet
EagleX
FD3
Outlaw

5 individual discs:
Fresh DX Grid Aviar
2R LE ESP Comet
Icon Patriot
DX EagleX
Champ EagleX

Putter
US Control
Neutral Control
OS Control
Max D

I would sacrifice mids for my Soft Proxy and the overall greater flexibility, imo, of speed 6-9 fairways. I debated forgoing the max D disc in favor of a Roc-like disc. While that may be more effective for my score, I would miss the fun of throwing a max D disc for the rest of my life. The question forces one to debate between fun factor and scoring efficiency and whether those are even separate criteria (for me they are).

5 molds:
Wizard
Zone
Firebird
Rival
Trespass

5 individual discs:
Seasoned Soft or PWP Wizard
Fresh puddle topped Pro-D Zone
Fresh max weight flattish Star Firebird
Well seasoned Pinnacle Rival
Fresh Bio Trespass

Gumby putter - Wolf - Halex mid - Dragon, and Groove.

I'd get sick enough of the game and move on with my writing career. Or wrestling. Or trafficking. etc.

If you could only use 5 discs for the rest of your life
...I'd have a much lighter bag. :|

Challenger
Ibex
Leopard
Teebird
Crank

Yeti Aviar
Gravity Ghost
Star Eagle (X and L unless those are different in which case just Xs so I can beat them into Ls)
Icon Enemy
Star Wealth

This is most of my bag right now anyway, so it wouldn't even be that hard to do.

This is tough since I've really tooled my bag down to 8 already. I think I would keep.

Envy
Alias
XXX
Stalker
Volt

I'm torn on the Alias. It's just about my favorite disc to throw, but my Envy can cover most of the same shots, and my Tangent will give me a more consistent negative turn when I need it that the Alias can't quite do. But if we're talking forever, I just can't see giving up my favorite disc.

While these threads are not usually fun to scroll through and read all the answers with 5 discs that I don't throw, especially with no flavor text as to why, I do appreciate the thought they give me on how my current bag is built and the look back on how things can change over 3.5 years in this case.

Of the discs listed above, the only ones I still bag are the Envy and Alias, and really usually only the Envy due to the same reason I gave then, it does pretty much the same thing as the Alias.

Soon after that post, the Theory was released, which is now my only mid usually. And I tried the Crave out, which ended up being both a better Volt, and better Stalker for me.

I eventually replaced my lost XXX with a Resistor, which I in turn replaced with the Clash, realizing I really don't need the extra stability.

So, 5 discs for the rest of my life, previous post was a bit off, but shortly after my bag evolved to be very close to what it is today, and I imagine I could roll with just

Crave
Clash
Theory
Envy
Wedge

Add in a Relay and that's my go to bag right now.

3 more years from now? Maybe Axiom releases something like a Wedge and 1.6mm variants of the Crave and Clash and I'll be looking at just the Envy not changing again. We'll see.

This is tough, because you need these 5 for any course, any conditions.

I'll say, in different plastics:

Inertia
Volt
Resistor
Axis
Ion.

Other than replacing Inertia for Wave, my 5 stay the same.

And even if I left it as is, you can't go wrong with stable-understable distance, stable fairway, OS fairway, straight mid, and stable putter.

I'd miss the jawbreaker or z zone, but champ fb powers down really well to cover mid duties

Mine are

driver: Valkerie Champion Glow 170-172 grams. These feel like the old Champion JK Valkries from the 2000's like the lower domed ones. Star Valkyries are a bit more beefy especially the low dome models. I have Destroyers but they are a max distance driver that takes more space to fly

fairway driver: this disc will be almost a midrange a early model in the driver midrange catagory, the ESP Impact 171-173 grams.

midrange: this is the Star Shark, very versatile disc for me, more so then the Champion Shark 3 a disc that is just more of a midrange only disc.

Putter is a Magnet in Jawbreaker plastic with the Ring stamp of the Pro D models drawn on in Sharpie. I do this with one labled Approach for longer putting/ hazard putting and the putter only one labeled with putter. I have an old Stiff pre 2006 hard Pro D Magnet but that is now for windier days in the summer or when the Jawbreaker gets too floppy in the summer for a regular putter. I ruined my softer hard Pro D Magnet from 2007 with a hyzer putt around a tree by putting into the side of the tree. The course Shipwreck bluff at Erie State park New York had a bad hole, 11 has a tree right next to the basket and cliff on one side then rough with trees on another that if you do not land to the right on the one 6 foot opening to putt you have to waste a stroke pitching out to putt, something I did not do. The Approach putter the softer of the two hard Pro D Magnets was near retirement anyhow it was becoming like the Soft Pro D Magnets when new. Soft Pro D Magnets are not good they are like a Magnet in hard Pro D but soft. I like my soft plastic to have grip like old Pro/R-Pro or Prostyle plastic that Lighting came out with. I need to get a new putter of a disc I use or just wait to have my Jawbreakers become soft the way lighting Prostyle does over time.

Another disc would be a Elite X Express for right shots that go right only. I do have a DX Dragon but those are flippy when broken in, need another and keep old one for roller.