• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illianasconsinigan Members (Part III)

Looking for some info on the Evergreen Park course (50 Acre Park):

Is there only one set of concrete tees? If so, are they the short or the long?

Are there signs by both tees? If not, which tee are they at?

Thanks in advance.

I assume you have already played the course by now, correct?

I checked it out...better than I thought it would be. If anyone is on the fence about making the trip, I would say it's worth the drive.

The course absolutely needs use next tee signs to ease navigation between several holes, but other than that....it's in good shape. The current design uses the available elevation (on the front nine) and water hazards (#8 and #18) nicely. :thmbup:

Another shout out to Fairfield. I had the chance to play both layouts Saturday. It is awesome, easily the best course I've played. I was happy with a 53 and 69 respectively. Hit the basket on 7 white, deuced 9 Gold (after losing 2 discs in the swamp the first two times I played) and was able to get a 4 on 18 Gold.
Only complaints are 10 and 11 Gold. I feel that the tee shot for 10 is too constricting. I felt forced to throw a short hyzer (LHBH) to get around the corner, which was short enough I couldn't clear the OB on my subsequent shot. Clearing the trees on the right side a bit would help open that up, and allow for a realistic second shot to clear the pond for a chance at 3. Maybe a well executed RHBH flex shot is the intended shot.
For 11, I think some more trees should be cleared out of the fairway. At 675' winding through the woods, I just threw a Roc 5 times until I got close enough to putt. Not very fun.
I hope to make it out there over the remainder of the summer. If nothing else, I'll be there for the IOS in August.

Playing UW-Parkside for the first time on Saturday. Played by myself and got lost going from hole 11-12. Finally gave up and skipped to 15. I know where it is now because I caught up to the league that plays there. I had a good time overall, but I was bummed I missed a couple holes.

Kevdiv48, I understand your comments on 10 and 11 as a blue level player. But those challenges seem reasonable for a gold level player based on feedback so far from those at that level (or maybe your rating is also over 975?). Those holes from 10-15 are designed for Gold level but I can see how the tee shots on those two holes would be tough even for gold level LHBH throwers. If White tees are ever added down the road, the White tees would be positioned farther down those fairways where the distances and angles would be suitable for white level players.

Kevdiv48, I understand your comments on 10 and 11 as a blue level player. But those challenges seem reasonable for a gold level player based on feedback so far from those at that level (or maybe your rating is also over 975?). Those holes from 10-15 are designed for Gold level but I can see how the tee shots on those two holes would be tough even for gold level LHBH throwers. If White tees are ever added down the road, the White tees would be positioned farther down those fairways where the distances and angles would be suitable for white level players.

That's fair, because no, I am not a >975 level player. I did enjoy the challenge of attempting those holes, so it is good to hear that players of the intended level have positive feedback.

I'm not sure we've heard from any gold level lefties though. Might have to check with Brett on that.

As a blue level player I will admit that on 7 and 10 gold at Fairfield I definitely check my ego and throw a ROC off both tees. I have birdied both in doing so and usually take a four at worst. 11 is a tough landing zone and I could see a couple little trees on that one maybe going in the future although I think their are valid arguments on both sides. Staying in the fairway is key regardless the skill level. 60 is the best I've shot from gold so far

Live in Charlotte NC, travelling to Springfield IL this week to visit family.

Any Springfieldians want to show me around and play 18 or 36 either Friday or Saturday morning?

Shoot me a PM! Thanks!

Another shout out to Fairfield. I had the chance to play both layouts Saturday. It is awesome, easily the best course I've played. I was happy with a 53 and 69 respectively. Hit the basket on 7 white, deuced 9 Gold (after losing 2 discs in the swamp the first two times I played) and was able to get a 4 on 18 Gold.
Only complaints are 10 and 11 Gold. I feel that the tee shot for 10 is too constricting. I felt forced to throw a short hyzer (LHBH) to get around the corner, which was short enough I couldn't clear the OB on my subsequent shot. Clearing the trees on the right side a bit would help open that up, and allow for a realistic second shot to clear the pond for a chance at 3. Maybe a well executed RHBH flex shot is the intended shot.
For 11, I think some more trees should be cleared out of the fairway. At 675' winding through the woods, I just threw a Roc 5 times until I got close enough to putt. Not very fun.
I hope to make it out there over the remainder of the summer. If nothing else, I'll be there for the IOS in August.

I'm worried about my drives going into the pond on 10, most of my clean drives land about 15-20ft short of the pond. I've had long looks at a 3 on 11 one or two times as well. They are great holes and should not be changed.

If you can't get to the lake on your drive on 10 or to the hill where the fairway kinks on 11 then you should be playing the holes for a par or bogey and just accept they're made for a player of a different skill level. Welcome to gold level courses :) The first time I discovered courses designed for gold level players was the first time I ran into holes where a 7 was okay and I was happy to get a 5 which was par. I was still a rec/int level player then.

Gotcha, it is the introduction to a gold level course that's a new concept for me. I'm glad to hear feedback on why those holes are good, as it gives me motivation to execute them better next time I'm out there.

Gotcha, it is the introduction to a gold level course that's a new concept for me. I'm glad to hear feedback on why those holes are good, as it gives me motivation to execute them better next time I'm out there.

FWIW, I have heard the best round so far is a 54.

I am not afraid to admit that my one and only singles round on gold so far was a 77. :gross:

People will definitely card 3s on 11, 13 and 18....personally I pat myself on the back when I take a 4 on any of those. 18 being the easiest IMO.

If you can't get to the lake on your drive on 10 or to the hill where the fairway kinks on 11 then you should be playing the holes for a par or bogey and just accept they're made for a player of a different skill level. Welcome to gold level courses :) The first time I discovered courses designed for gold level players was the first time I ran into holes where a 7 was okay and I was happy to get a 5 which was par. I was still a rec/int level player then.
welcome to my world...
I've gotten used to playing courses that are beyond my skill level... I still have fun. I know when I hit a shot I can be proud of, and that's all I'm trying for... the best shots I'm capable of :)

...while minimizing the worst shots I'm capable of. :(

I saw a 58 year old master rated 912 throw a perfect sidewinder shot on Gold #10. He landed direct center fairway about 10 feet from the OB poles.

I've been talking to a ton of adv & pro players that have hit the Gold Course. They are loving it.

A few have mentioned taking some skinny trees out on #10 11. & 13. One wasn't too fond of hole #12. Everyone has their preferences. Overall it's getting a ton of positive talk.

I need to make it out there one day...ill rip the gold course up since we all know im a gold level player =P

on another note, anybody going to be at sippi saturday?

I'll be out there. :)

Thanks to Air Play Sports and Discontinuum, we are now running this as a B-tier. $500 added cash to the MPO (Open) division.

If you are planning on coming, do like my man RPS2012 did and pre-register. Makes things so much smoother for everyone.

Latest posts