• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illianasconsinigan Members (Part III)

So I'm curious about Fairfield. Is it worth the high rating? What might it compare to in WI, for those of you that have played up here? I've been working my way into northern IL to bag, and my next trip is going to have Fairfield on the itinerary.

It's overrated, but still a good course. It is a bit disappointing when you walk up to the first tee and see the first 4 holes are wide open boring shots after seeing all the 5 star reviews. There are good holes once you get in the woods. If you play on the weekend be prepared for some long waits, especially where the short and long course merge back together.

Also, don't trust the course conditions, it is always listed in perfect shape even when it is far from perfect. I have been there many times when the conditions say the course is perfect and when you get there it's wet and muddy.

In looking at your courses played, I'm thinking Fairfield will feel like a longer (gold) version of Lakewood Hills (blue) in a wilder setting. One weakness or strength of the Fairfield layout is whether you like having all of the mostly open holes in sequence (course starts with 5 and ends with 2) or scattered among the wooded holes which would be my preference as a designer but not possible at Fairfield.

That's high praise. I loved Lakewood Hills...was easily the biggest sleeper of the weekend we were up there.

Sounds like it might be similar to Brown Deer when it's in the longs.

Either way, I'll get down there this summer to knock out a few more courses in that area, and play Fairfield. Thanks for the info guys!

I like the hole balance of Lakewood better where you go from more open to more wooded to more open holes than Fairfield which starts with most of the open holes right away. That's why I would give it 4 versus 4.5 until more trees can be planted there over time. If the open holes at Fairfield were intermixed between wooded holes they wouldn't feel as "boring" as mentioned earlier because they do have elevation. And some like 4 and 18 hold up as good open holes anywhere with the stockade hole just for fun.

Last edited:
I like the hole balance of Lakewood better where you go from more open to more wooded to more open holes than Fairfield which starts with most of the open holes right away. That's why I would give it 4 versus 4.5 until more trees can be planted there over time. If the open holes at Fairfield were intermixed between wooded holes they wouldn't feel as "boring" as mentioned earlier because they do have elevation. And some like 4 and 18 hold up as good open holes anywhere with the stockade hole just for fun.

Lakewood's mix was really, really good. I hear what you're saying about mixing those open holes in...when I think about BRP, all I can ever seem to think about is all those open holes in the middle, even though I loved a lot of the holes there.

Important Announcement!

Dear Players, Sponsors, and Friends of the Crazy Beaver 2 -

We need to change the venue of the 2016 Crazy Beaver 2 to Squaw Creek DGC (Fairfield Park) in Round Lake. Everything else remains the same. Every player has the option to cancel their registration and get a refund if they choose not to play because of the change in venue.

If you are registered and still want to play, you don't have to do anything (except show up to Fairfield instead of Bevier).

The construction at Bevier Park is much more extensive than we were led to believe by the Waukegan Park District. Several fairways are negatively impacted and space for alternate holes is now unusable. This is greatly disappointing, but we are choosing to capitalize on this - for the PLAYERS' advantage.

Ryan Aquino and Jim Klem are determined to give players an excellent experience on a course worthy of a PDGA B-Tier event. This year, Bevier is not that course. The Round Lake Area Park District is accommodating us and letting us use Squaw Creek, which will provide lots of opportunity for fun, challenging layouts. We apologize for the late notice, but we wanted to exhaust all options at Bevier before we committed to a change to Squaw Creek.

HUGE thanks to our State Coordinator Mike Krupicka, the PDGA, the Round Lake Area Park District, and our Sponsors for making this happen, especially under tight deadline. Once again, it makes us proud of our local disc golf community!

Also, don't trust the course conditions, it is always listed in perfect shape even when it is far from perfect. I have been there many times when the conditions say the course is perfect and when you get there it's wet and muddy.

I've made a habit of updating the course conditions every time I play the course. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a course that gets updated as much as this one. I think I"m fair and honest about the current condition.

Most of early spring the course was listed as decent.

Does anyone know of any fun leagues in this general area? I just moved back to Illinois from Phoenix and I had a great time in one of the Phoenix leagues I was in. Google isn't being much help.

f30b51f24a244c8fa0a5fbe957a957ec.png

Does anyone know of any fun leagues in this general area? I just moved back to Illinois from Phoenix and I had a great time in one of the Phoenix leagues I was in. Google isn't being much help.

Monday nights in Buffalo Grove, Tuesday nights in Libertyville, Wednesday (singles),Thursday nights and Saturday mornings in Round Lake.

Most local league info is much easier to find on Facebook.

Anyone play the new 18 at an abandoned Golf Course in Harvard, IL?

Plum Tree National Country Club
19511 Lembcke Rd, Harvard, IL 60098

Apparently it's huge! No tees or pads yet, but over 8200ft.

Designed and installed by a DG'er in Milwaukee.

I've played it twice now. It's very raw. Grass tees and navigation can be an issue if you don't have a guide. Very long and don't expect to get many birdie 2's. I've got 0 in 2 rounds so far. Plays over 8,3000 feet.

Most leagues are out of my available time range but if anyone wants another person to play some rounds with on the weekends let me know. I typically play the following courses but I am open to just about anything.

Randall Oaks - Dundee
Lippold - Crystal Lake
Indian Oaks - Marengo
Plum Tree or Lions - Harvard
Anna Paige - Rockford
Shady Oaks - Streamwood
Black Bear - Hoffman Estates

Side note if anyone has any spare disc golf backpacks can you post them I'm looking to buy one again. I had a ranger bag that I got for a steal on eBay but no longer have it. Now I can't find one under $160. Just post what you got.

Last edited:
Spreading the word. If you plan on playing the B-Tier event in Round Lake, IL it'd be wise to register this week. Spots are starting to fill quickly. Ace Pool going into Saturday is $543.

August 13 & 14th.
Visit www.illinoisopenseries.com

If you have not played the course lately it's a must. Perfect conditions right now.

Spreading the word. If you plan on playing the B-Tier event in Round Lake, IL it'd be wise to register this week. Spots are starting to fill quickly. Ace Pool going into Saturday is $543.

August 13 & 14th.
Visit www.illinoisopenseries.com

If you have not played the course lately it's a must. Perfect conditions right now.

Do you guys still do the ace to where it carries over to your next tournament instead of throwing off?