• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Important news about a Frisbee legend -- John Kirkland

I had the honor of spending a day with John a year or two ago. He was one of the original few standing with Steady Ed in the beginning...lots of great stories after that. Held a number of long distance records and could still throw quite far as an old dude. We had an @eight person card that day, with some very solid players, and he beat everyone but Aaron Wilde.

The Friz Wiz? Just your run of the mill Frisbee Legend. He and Victor Malafronte toured with the Globetrotters in the 70's doing a Frisbee halftime show. They are basically as big-time as Frisbee dudes ever got.

In 2011, John and his son Cody were planning on playing in Pro Worlds, so visited Monterey, CA and I took them on a round at Ryan Ranch, I think John was about 65 and still throwing 400+, his son was throwing 500+, his son actually threw a TL on an anny line on a 460 foot hole and would have been long if he did not hit an oak tree near the basket.

On another hole, his son matched a line that Schusterick had thrown on a 530 foot hole that was double dog leg, both of them (Cody and Will) chose to throw over all the trees and skip both dog legs. Great guys, I doubt I will have half of John's energy when I am 65. And for some reason or another they did not end up playing in 2011 Worlds.

John kept telling me physics is what matters and you should channel all the energy into pulling on a straight line.....

He visited Stoney Hill and I missed it, and you guys are causing me remorse.

When he called to play I wasn't available, and had no idea who he was, but I contacted our local oldtimer and HOF member, who of course knew exactly who he was, and met John and guided him around the course for us.

I met John Kirkland one time before a local tournament. He invited me to join him, Max Nichols, and A.J. Risley. But before I joined them, he taught me how to throw backhand smooth and far in under a 30 minute lesson. Its the best advice I ever received and I show other ppl what he taught me. Before he showed me these news tips and tricks, I could barely hit 325ish but immediately after I was pumping 375 easily and hitting 400 occasionally. I just want to thank you John if you ever get DGCR. You gave me excellent advice and made me feel welcome playing with the big dogs!

Is John sick? Or is Scott joking about that too? :\

Here's a little video featuring the legend himself:

Here's a little video featuring the legend himself:

I don't think Scott would do that. As much of a Pro Wrestling personality that Scott Stokley is I think he has a deep respect for Disc Golf and the people that made disc golf what it is today.

I ran into John Kirkland here in Louisville a few weeks ago. When he arrived at the course I had already just played 36 holes and was putting on the practice baskets. He introduced himself, shot some putts with me, and asked if I wanted to play a round with him, but unfortunately I was already exhausted. Looking back, I really wish I had taken that opportunity.

Sounds like a really cool guy. More disc golfers need to know about this side of the history. Love running into old school throwers.

He was in MN recently, I know of 2 occasions he was here the last year where he played with some of the guys whom I play with on occasion(which I tend to play with the masters/grandmasters) and heard he was still a very solid player with good distance. His name is always brought up with other frisbee legends at tourneys like the Kenwood Klassic that I played today. He is rumored to have the largest frisbee/golf disc collection in the world at a number I heard to believed 30000+, which who knows if that is true or close to the true number.

When I watched the vid, the possibility that there was anything wrong with John Kirkland never entered my mind. Stokely was just giving him the business. I mean, he's not the oldest living Frisbee player. He's probably around 60ish.

"Due to John's advanced age, it's highly probable that he has, at most, a year left with us."

I may have misheard the "advanced age" part when I first watched it, but to me it was clear that John was going to die of some terminal disease.

But it sounds like he'll be throwing Frisbees for a good while longer, and that's an awesome thing.

If there was something medically wrong with John Kirkland I doubt this would be the way it gets announced.

Latest posts