• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In Memory: The Best Extinct Courses

OOps, I take it back. I've played this one: Spinski's Championship. I liked it, but many others despised it.
They called that course "Two Towels" ...one for your discs and one for your tears.

Never had a chance to play that Two Towels, but TVK, The Shide and I played the original Spinski's with the owner just days before he closed on the sale of that property.

Wow, 18 out of 141 for me. I knew it was over 10 but that total surprised me.
Some were total cr@p and should have never gone in the ground, and it looks like 8 of them are the old layouts.

87 out of 1115. Like many others have said many of these have had updated layouts and still have courses on the property just used differently.

They called that course "Two Towels" ...one for your discs and one for your tears.

Never had a chance to play that Two Towels, but TVK, The Shide and I played the original Spinski's with the owner just days before he closed on the sale of that property.

I actually shot the hot round in my division at Spinski's Champ at 2015 Am Worlds (Adv Grandmasters). I guess I may have witnessed some "two towels" but didn't experience it.

Ooof, that's a pretty bad goof my part.... and I use math every day for my job.

It's been a long month and a half quarantined at home with a 4 and 6 year.

But toddlers usually love going disc golfing (well, the hike anyways). Courses been closed for C19 or weather?

But toddlers usually love going disc golfing (well, the hike anyways). Courses been closed for C19 or weather?

I kid, mostly. My kids are usually pretty easy to deal with, but they certainly have their days. Trying to do my job from home while also guiding them through their school work though, has been a challenge.

We're lucky to live on a course, so we have plenty of space to get out and move around when the weather is decent. We get out 1 to 2 times a day usually. 1-2 short walks (10-15 min) and 1 longer hike (60 min). The kids always join in for the longer walk and usually bring a disc or two to toss around at the various baskets we pass while we hike the course.

That's great! I once took all my nieces and nephews between the ages of 5 and 10 to Shepard Park DGC with their dads and played 9 holes one Christmas break. The kids seemed to love it, but none lived nearby and I never could get their parents to follow through, even though I gave all of 'em discs. :(

Not extinct, but on it's way.

Outflow DGC ( NE Ohio).

This is a ten hole course designed for blue play, requiring accurate but long shots, dangerous greens with each hole a totally different experience.

The course isn't played much, since only 10 holes and frustrating for newer players.

Army Corps of Engineers is doing major clearing of the property ( who knows maybe National Security) This will destroy the experience in at least 4 of the 10 holes.

I have indicated best plan is after clearing put a bullet to the courses head. Save some DNA and reinstall as a red course. Will get more play for masses, but for sure I will miss the challenge.

Looks like Cedar Grove in Indiana (Cincinnati area) is shutting down. It's only been open since June but it appears unhappy neighbors and zoning issues will be the cause.

Not the best Course, but a course that was close to me...

R.I.P. Prouty Beach Disc Golf, Newport City, Vermont is Extinct as of 12/1/20 :\

Supposedly a new layout will be put somewhere else. Will update if it happens.

Not the best, but a Course that is close by.

Not extinct, but on it's way.

Outflow DGC ( NE Ohio).

This is a ten hole course designed for blue play, requiring accurate but long shots, dangerous greens with each hole a totally different experience.

The course isn't played much, since only 10 holes and frustrating for newer players.

Army Corps of Engineers is doing major clearing of the property ( who knows maybe National Security) This will destroy the experience in at least 4 of the 10 holes.

I have indicated best plan is after clearing put a bullet to the courses head. Save some DNA and reinstall as a red course. Will get more play for masses, but for sure I will miss the challenge.

RIP as of Monday 3/15/21

IDK that Skyline (Dallas) was good, but it was the point de dépar.

It had a water hazard and a few longer holes. The tees were ill-defined sand pits, which meant you could play barefoot. Too much conflicting traffic, though, which is why they moved it.

I don't think anyone can argue with Laurel Springs as the most historically significant extinct private course, once you get past the first ones.
What made Boylan Family Farms in Laurel Springs NC so iconic and so well loved?

It sounds like the hospitality of the Boylans has a lot to do with that.
I'm sure that the surrounding scenery of the remote High Country was as scenic as it is today, so that was a great backdrop.
I hear that all of the top names in disc golf went out there to play, so that enhanced the ambience.

But in looking at the course map, what created the mystique? Was it the par 4s and 5s amidst the Steady Ed culture of all par 3s? Was it the elevation changes? Since there weren't that many courses in existence, was it more highly praised because of a lack of alternatives?
I've played among Christmas trees in the High Country, and they are great to look at but not too fun to play amongst, and the ones at Boylan don't look very tall.

If you were ever there, would you please share some stories about why the course was so special?

If you were ever there, would you please share some stories about why the course was so special?

I never played it -- my brother drove to it to play, a week after it closed -- but having been around at that time, I think it was the rarity. At a time when there were few courses, most of which wouldn't rate over a 3 today, it really stood out. Mountain terrain and private, not much of that available back then.

I think they always had a pretty big tourney that drew lots of the pros. I know when it was announced that the dg course was to be no longer, lots of players were pretty bummed out as it was pretty unique at that time in dg history.

There were a few courses up in northern Wisconsin that I am pretty bummed I never got to play.

RIP Treehaven

RIP Black Bear Creek

Latest posts