• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In Memory: The Best Extinct Courses

RIP Calverton DGC in Calverton, NY.

It was 1 of only 3 courses on the entirety of Long Island, and a pretty decent one at that.
Set on a former ball golf course it featured water in play, elevation, woods, and variety in shots required as well as distance.
It was a little out of my play grade, and I only got to play it twice (in '16 and '18), but every time I made it there I would gladly fork over the fee and enjoy myself. It was a long, challenging course for a professional-recreational player like me, on par with Heckscher State Park and light years ahead of Cedar Beach DGC; meaning that now, while LI has 2 courses, it really only has 1 decent one, IMO.

Here's to you, Calverton. *pours some Colt 45 from a 40 oz. onto ground*
Hopefully some enterprising lunatic will come up with a new course somewhere on that god forsaken island soon.

Good night, sweet prince.

RIP Arrowhead DGC just south of Louisville KY.

Per their FB page, they got shut down for operating in an R4 residential zone. Is it just me or is it always the zoning that takes down private courses?

I've heard of it happening, but when I think of my favorite extinct private courses, they all closed for other reasons.

It is sobering to look out my windows and wonder, "How long will this last?"

A recent thread reminded me that not everyone knows about the process for searching courses with filters. Go to courses at the top of the home page, then browse courses. If you want "extinct" courses included, you have to hit the tab for it. Worth doing since not every course listed as "extinct" is extinct. Some are alive and well, like Sugaree for instance.

Truly great private courses feel like an extra special treat, and account for some of my best DG memories, particularly those where I've gotten to actually meet the owners or designers.

But the down side is, they're much more likely to be ephemeral than courses in parks, for a variety of reasons.

One of our most loved courses, or the most loved by many, goes extinct this Sunday, April 10th. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=7859

The final public day is Friday, and Saturday and Sunday is the "Farewell To Pell" tournament. Following that, the baskets will be pulled and we will pour out a cold one for all the memories we shared there. The course was on private property, and the property was sold last year to developers, but they allowed the course to stay until they were ready to break ground. This loss will leave a large hole in our disc golf world locally, but we were lucky to have it for 11 years, originally we were hoping for maybe 5 or 6.

One of our most loved courses, or the most loved by many, goes extinct this Sunday, April 10th. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=7859

The final public day is Friday, and Saturday and Sunday is the "Farewell To Pell" tournament. Following that, the baskets will be pulled and we will pour out a cold one for all the memories we shared there. The course was on private property, and the property was sold last year to developers, but they allowed the course to stay until they were ready to break ground. This loss will leave a large hole in our disc golf world locally, but we were lucky to have it for 11 years, originally we were hoping for maybe 5 or 6.

Was actually just looking at this one a couple weeks ago - I will be visiting that area in a couple months. Looks like a great course. RIP!

Jones East and West in Emporia have gone extinct. Both great courses that will be missed.

East/West are RIP'd to make way for the "Supreme 18" which will be used for DDO later this month and Worlds later this summer.

https://visitemporia.com/place/jones-park/
That page puts it in terms of:
Emporia Website said:
The course will take the place of both Jones East and Jones West. To make up for the loss of the East and West courses during most of 2022, a shorter version of the new course has also been installed, which incorporates some of the new features from the new Supreme 18 course and some of the pads and baskets from Jones East and West.
The phrasing of this makes me think that Jones East and West are only gone for 2022?

The phrasing of this makes me think that Jones East and West are only gone for 2022?
Sounds permanent, perhaps so there's a public gold level course they have more flexibility to tweak and improve than the Country Club. Thought I read they were adding back a shorter 9 or 18 course in the remaining property.

I was just there on Friday and they were backfilling the old basket's holes. Poured all new tees and set many new pins. I did confirm with EMac that those layouts are extinct before I reported it.

Sounds permanent, perhaps so there's a public gold level course they have more flexibility to tweak and improve than the Country Club. Thought I read they were adding back a shorter 9 or 18 course in the remaining property.

Yep! Didn't have time to play it but it knocks about 4,000ft off the big course: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=13045

I never even considered the obvious, logical reason for those 2 going extinct :wall:

Makes total sense now. Excellent review and course updates Surge5. :thmbup:

I never even considered the obvious, logical reason for those 2 going extinct :wall:

Makes total sense now. Excellent review and course updates Surge5. :thmbup:

Thanks! Looking forward to attending Worlds out there and I wanted to get a feel for the level of "new pro-level course" that was coming. I shot +11 and I felt good about that.

Thanks! Looking forward to attending Worlds out there and I wanted to get a feel for the level of "new pro-level course" that was coming. I shot +11 and I felt good about that.

I seen the last round live in 2019 at Lake Eureka. It was a good time. Played Northwood Gold the next day. I'd have been ecstatic with an 11 over round :|. It's fun playing these top level courses, it makes you appreciate how good these players are getting. It also highlights all the weak spots in my game :D

Hey, Chris I actually took the time to read the link and I figured it out. Their phrasing on the website is bad. Should read "To make up for the loss of the East and West courses, a shorter version of the new course has also been installed which will be available for most of 2022." They have to pull the short baskets 4 days before each major (DDO and Worlds) but I think they're gonna do it for a little longer.

My most missed courses:

(first two of these were Houck's ranches and were by far my favorite courses I ever played)

San Saba, TX (all 3 courses but especially the Colorado River Course)
Wimberley, TX (all 3 courses but especially the Meadows Course)
Austin, TX - Pease Park - first course I ever played
Grapevine, TX - Bear Creek - got my first ace there