• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Infamous Holes!

#15 at Z Boaz Park in Fort Worth.

Creek on left...and where you see the pin in this picture, well, push it back 30 yards.

831a82fe.jpg

the Rock Hole (10) at Bracketts Bluff...RIP...and #12 at Endicott Park in STL...neither has water, but both destroy good rounds

This is hole 9 at my home course of River Grove Park in Kingwood, TX. I have come close several times, but I have never birdied this hole. Its starting to drive me crazy.:

c5c9f8a6.jpg

Hole 14 , same course. This one is hard because you have to spit the trees on the right and then bring the disc back left then straight. The hole is not long, but its a tight gap to hit:

Hole14.jpg

Whippin' Post #18

It's interesting how many of these "infamous" holes involve water. And my submission is another.

Hole #18 at The Whippin' Post in Paw Paw, WV. If you play the 18 on The Woodshed first, then this is the closer of your 36 holes. And picture #1 doesn't do the tee shot justice. It looks a lot more intimidating from on the actual tee. I've only gone for it once and normally lay up. It's a 402', slightly downhill hole. You have to throw 385' to clear the pond with the pin just 17' from the edge of the water.

picture.php

picture.php

Man, that whippin # 18 is brutal.

I hit metal, only to have it roll away and into the pond during deaf nationals in 2006.

Still a scary heave

This one causes fits. #13 at Perkerson Park. We played the shorts both rounds (650') and I got a 5 and a 6. The long tee, shown below is 900'

13_Tee.JPG

That set of trees in the middle of the pic is the short tee, left of it is a creek, there is a route over the creek with a tight re-entry that causes many circle and double circle scores: (over the creek is OB)

13_Fairway_L.JPG

Once you do make it there you still have an uphill shot: (basket is that little spec of blue, traveller basket in this pic).

13_Approach.JPG

Hole 3 at Scarboro Hills, MD. When in the long pin location, you cannot see the basket due to slight elevation drop and trees.

15f49d52.jpg

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned old #19 at De La Veaga. This is basically a pitch shot over a short rise and then down again to the pin. The problem is that the pin sits on a 45-degree slope that's nothing but hardpan and if your disc rolls, it'll go all the way (about 200 feet) into a poison oak-filled ravine.

Kenny played that trick in a tournament once and carded a 6, as I recall ...

I think that hole's been taken out of play due to erosion issues, but back in the day, it was a torment.

Infamous Finishing Holes

Before we had to do this last redesign, our finishing hole (#18 Disc Creek DGC) was a notorious round killer. Just a straight fairway with a gentle slope down to the left, very few trees in the way, fence on the right, road on the left. 419ft. to the short placement, 525ft. to the long. It wasn't extremely difficult to keep in the fairway if you played with less power, but trying to drive the pin (rollers were very popular on this tee shot) was very risky because the fairway narrowed as you got closer to the basket. The fence on the right was pretty much straight all along the fairway, but the road on the left curved in then created a narrow stretch for the putting green. The fairway was probably 60 - 70 feet wide at the tee, but at the basket it was only 35 - 40 feet wide, making for a difficult landing to get an easy putt.

If you were leading the round with a comfortable margin, go balls out on the tee shot. If you were leading by 1 or 2 shots, placement became much more critical. If you were trying to catch up to the leader, this was the hole to do it on.

An excellent finishing hole! No matter how bad you're playing, the round was never over until you got past Old #18.

West Lake Park Davenport, IA

Two holes (5 & 13) play across a dam.

Hole 5 - short/long 485/826'
Short tee plays from the dam along waters edge. Long starts off of and below the other side of the dam, resulting in a J shaped hole.
Hole 13 - short/long 473/870'
Both long a short are straight shots.

This view is from the short tee on 13.
140488f9.jpg

There is water on the left side in addition to the right. The land is only about 50' wide, both sides are sloped. The concrete structure (actually two about 100' apart) to the left of the baskett is about 12' high.

This course owned me, but especially these two holes. We played from the longs, big mistake.

^^ not much room for error there. I would try to keep it as straight as possible, any hyzer to it and you miss that small area, off to the left you go OB.

http://blueribbonpines.net/the-course/hole-4/

this hole is hard and very intimidating. ive parred it once (par 4 ~400'). i was very happy that day! along the leftside there is a road on the other side of the OB line. if you land on the left side in the trees there is a clear line to run a big anhyzer route up to the basket for a birdie attempt. i missed my birdie putt the time i parred it taking this approach.

this is hole 12 at hawk hollow- 350 feet to the pin located at the yellow cross. drive is a simple little left to right shot of 230 or so- with ob fence on the left and ob creek lining the right...
tee12withpin.jpg

West Lake Park Davenport, IA
This course owned me, but especially these two holes. We played from the longs, big mistake.
This is the one course I've given a five rating so far. Long tees are ridiculously tough. Water in play on nearly half the holes. The two with the dam in play are something else. I've ended up returning to this course twice; since my initial trip; despite it being a four plus hour drive from home. Even if you make dry land on the dam hole you have pictured; you can end up behind one of the concrete, old bridge supports; which has happened to me twice. This forces an interesting next shot. As you will all also notice; the land slopes from the middle to the water.....I love West Lake Park; it's a pretty grueling course even from the shorts. Be prepared to loss plastic here!!!

Hole 8 at plymouth creek in Plymouth MN is pretty wicked as well. 600 feet long, creek the whole way on the left (basket is only about 10 feet from the creek at the end) full of trees for the first 400 feet or so, then a full 90 degree turn to the right and it opens up a bit more, but very narrow, nasty creek on the left, super thick scrub on the right.

I am happy to card a 6 here.

#18 Hickory Hills, Traverse City MI

This is a fun little anhyzer that is played on a ridge. Lots of trees line the fairway, and on both sides of the fair way there are very steep drops.
I have carded many double, triple, and even quad bogeys.

Hole18Hick.jpg

Hole 11, Ashe County Park, Jefferson NC
Hole 11 Long is one of the most unusual holes I've ever played. From the tee you can't see the blue basket because the fairway ends abruptly at a wall of rhododendrons that you have to go over the top of. Clear this, then there's after another short section of fairway ending at a second impassable rhododendron wall to go over, then you finally get to the blue basket. Also, if you go off the fairway you're in thick woods, so you may have to pitch back out to a spot where you can get up over the wall. When I played it there were no directions posted, no visible path toward a basket, the fairway just ended at a impenetrable wall.

Latest posts