• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Infinite Discs Tomb

hugheshilton

* Ace Member *
So this Infinite blog entry lists several molds coming this year from them:

https://infinitediscs.com/blog/new-golf-discs-for-2018/

On the list is the "Tomb" which is described as having a bottom similar to a Colt but with a flat top. This makes me think maybe Infinite is resurrecting the Prototype Colt mold, which makes me really excited. I loved the flight of the XT Proto Colts even if I didn't love how quickly XT gets flippy. "Tomb" might be a silly name, but if they produce Proto Colts in a better plastic, they can definitely sign me up for a stack.

Man they are really knocking these out of the park. I imagine Dave's heart grew 3 sizes and broke the heart-measuring apparatus when he unlocked the underground vault where they keep the fan favorite mold pieces for these runs.

I could see myself throwing some combo of mirage/tomb in situations where I don't want to power down a 5-speed mid.

So this Infinite blog entry lists several molds coming this year from them:

https://infinitediscs.com/blog/new-golf-discs-for-2018/

On the list is the "Tomb" which is described as having a bottom similar to a Colt but with a flat top. This makes me think maybe Infinite is resurrecting the Prototype Colt mold, which makes me really excited. I loved the flight of the XT Proto Colts even if I didn't love how quickly XT gets flippy. "Tomb" might be a silly name, but if they produce Proto Colts in a better plastic, they can definitely sign me up for a stack.

Oh, how I hope you are right on this. I loved the DX Proto Colts (XTs were good too), but the Star Colts just weren't up to the same standard. If they make a premium plastic proto-Colt-'ish' disc and it flies like the proto-Colt, that would be awesome. :thmbup:

By the way, the Colt bottom is V-tech (convex rim with bead). Wonder if the Tomb bottom will also be V-tech, or not...

Looks a lot like a Pa4. Not my style but plenty of people like them.

Proto Colts have more HSS than a PA4 in my experience. They also don't have the rounded inner rim that the PA4 has, which makes them a little more comfortable to drive with for me.

Agreed. Also, my experience has been that the Proto Colt has a little more glide than the Pa4. The Pa4 is a decent disc, but leaves me faintly disappointed when I throw it on the range. The proto Colt would pleasantly remind me of its accuracy when I throw it...

Oh man, I can't wait to try these out.

Hopeful it's a stiffer S-Line.

Any plans for a Champ type run?

Got my 168g S-blend Tomb in today, and it is awesome. Very similar in profile to the DX proto-Colts and DX Studs that first came out.

On the range, the Tomb was extremely accurate like the proto-Colts were. My Tomb has a fade at the end if not thrown with power, so I threw hyzer shots at targets and was happy with the accuracy.

I also threw between two rows of trees, a tunnel of sorts that is 30 ft. wide and 250 ft. long. Throwing with power, the Tomb is dead straight. I ripped it about 200 ft. on a frozen rope until it faded a little bit before hitting the ground.

Definitely will put this in the bag and see how it does. I hope some S-blend Tombs will come out in the 172-175g class...

I got a 168 S-Blend and a 175 D-Blend, and I am also quite happy with them. For me, the 168 is almost dead straight when I throw it with power with just the slightest hyzer finish. The 175 is a little more overstable with no turn at all and a little sooner fade. I was throwing in a different field than I usually do so I couldn't give you exact distances, but I'd guess 250 easily with the 168 and maybe slightly shorter with the 175.

I will try to post some profile comparison pics later. The bottom mold piece looks like it's the same as the Colt. The Tomb has the flatness and shallowness of the Proto Colts for sure. It's more comfortable for driving than the production Colts, which have a more rounded shoulder. The top mold piece isn't exactly like the Proto colts; it's a little more squared off. It does fly quite similarly though, more stable than the production Colts.

The S-Blend is certainly current Star. It's a nice blend: grippy, slightly flexible but not super soft. The D-Blend is a nice, stiff DX. Overall, I'm very pleased with these.

So better driving putter than an aviar3? I like deep putting putters but not to throw. Aviar3 I like throwing better than a wiz, but wouldn't mind something a bit more shallow.

So better driving putter than an aviar3? I like deep putting putters but not to throw. Aviar3 I like throwing better than a wiz, but wouldn't mind something a bit more shallow.

"Better" may be in the eye of the beholder (and bethrower :p ). But to your question: While the Av3 is not beefy overstable, it does not fly as dead straight for me as the Tomb did on throws with some power. IIRC, the Aviar3 has some glide, and while the Tomb has a bit of glide, the Av3 carried farther with its glide (I took the Av3 out of my bag because I keep overshooting my target with it; the Tomb was more accurate in my first test throws with it).

If you tried and liked a Star Stud for throwing/driving, you may like the S-blend Tomb even more.

Tomb update

The Tomb (prototype S-blend) is awesome <3 :thmbup:. It saved me at least four strokes during my round today. On three occasions it hyzered nicely around obstacles (mostly tree branches reaching out to touch someone's disc) and just parked near the basket, all throws well over 100 ft. Then I had a shot nearer 200 ft. than 150 ft., and bad footing so I had to make a standstill throw. The Tomb flew dead straight with a small fade (I was actually expecting a bit more fade), leaving 20 ft. to the basket that my Marshall knew what to do with.

The Tomb is soon to come out in full production (Infinite has the photos up on the Tomb page, but only prototypes to order as of this writing), and I'll be curious to see if they'll be exactly like the prototypes or tweaked and slightly different...

Is this a resurrected classic roc?

I think the Colt was the disc they made to replace the Classic Roc. I haven't held a CR for a while, but I think the Colt has a similarly shallow hand-feel (not the same mold though I don't think). When they retooled the Colt after the proto release, they made it less stable than a CR, but the Tomb flies closer to the proto Colts. So I'd guess a Tomb could be a pretty good CR replacement, although I don't think it's actually the same mold. I guess it could share a mold piece though; I've never heard anything definitive about the CR and Colt sharing mold pieces though.