• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Atlas (Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you)

Better get these early ones before they put the Vulcan top on. Or is everyone going to wait for the blizzards? Maybe we can get innova to do a special run of circle stamped ones so people can continue selling them for way more than they're worth.

Better get these early ones before they put the Vulcan top on. Or is everyone going to wait for the blizzards? Maybe we can get innova to do a special run of circle stamped ones so people can continue selling them for way more than they're worth.

In before big turd stamp atlas'

oh come on, just because your great grandpappy was drunk with a thick accent and told stories of riding his 'porsche' not horse doesnt mean he started the car company.

I'm not totally sure what this means.

Do you really think that MVP came up with the overmold or gyro ideas all on their own?

I'm not totally sure what this means.

Do you really think that MVP came up with the overmold or gyro ideas all on their own?

No, but they took made the effort to implement the idea as the main feature of their Discs. Something Dave at Innova wanted to do, but found too time consuming and expensive. So they deserve credit for that.

No, but they took made the effort to implement the idea as the main feature of their Discs. Something Dave at Innova wanted to do, but found too time consuming and expensive. So they deserve credit for that.

Agreed. MVP proved a) there was a sustainable market demand b) the consumer is willing to pay a premium for these discs.

I would say that Innova was wise to let MVP take nearly all the risk, while they sat back and watched if the market would be accepting. Now Innova can dive in with very little risk, and a whole lot of opportunity.

I have no brand loyalty, lots of stuff in my bag is Innova, but that's mostly a result of only learning about disc golf in more depth this season. I have MVP, Lat64, Discraft, Gateway, and Innova in my bag and like throwing what I have.

If Innova wasn't trying out the whole overmold thing, you'd call them archaic and say they're living in the past. They try to make a disc with an overmold and you go "COPYCATS!!!"

First of all, it's not like MVP invented overmolding, and they're using a different process in addition. Is it similar? Yeah. You know what else is? Everyone's discs. When MVP made a fairway driver, how many people do you think were like "OMG a fairway driver? Innova did that first, what a bunch of lame copycats." No, because that would be really really stupid.

Just because one company makes a product first doesn't make every single similar product made afterwards pointless and stupid. That's how we got more disc golf companies than Innova in the first place, which personally I think has been better than the alternative

Did they probably do this in response to MVP's success? Yeah, because that's how businesses work. If they see someone having success with a unique product, they're going to try to make something to compete with said product because they want to (GASP) make money.

Honestly how are people legitimately mad about this?

(Also note, I know innova wasn't like the first company ever, and also wasn't the 'only company'. They were and are just the largest and most dominant company in the industry.)

Its not really floppy. It definitely has some flex to it, but not floppy.

Mike - The Axis moves forward better, the Buzzz is more apt to torque flips, and the Atlas is the easiest to shape lines with. The Atlas is fast, but it doesn't touch the Axis on forward movement. Its not as blunt as a Buzzz nose and has what looks like a stingray inspired micro-bead/wing.

Yup, it's just a neutral mid. For my grip at least, it was barely evident that the plate had a different firmness, and for that matter the rim didn't really feel soft rather than more grippy to the touch, although in a golf grip it just feels firm (as firm as the plate). I didn't do any fan-grip shots. It didn't feel bad or anything. I threw gummy QMS for a long time and I wouldn't say these rip out of the hand the same way as those, which I'd chalk up to plate deformation on the Q when thrown. I always loved the way gummies ripped though. Atlas felt and flew like a flat Aurora in Star with a small bead.

To Mike C's question, as I'm most familiar with Q Auroras, I'd say it flew pretty similar to a QMS for me, and did not have the sort of forward push you see with the Axis. From my years-n-years ago with Z-Buzzz, it seems Buzzz-like in the majority of its flight, with less fade, hence my QMS comparison.

With an orange plate/white rim only in the sun for a few minutes, it didn't seem floppitized at all. Not even hatin' with this objective statement; with a power grip, I don't see why it's overmolded. There's no friction in my palm, and the inner wall felt just as firm as the plate, and it flew like a normal disc. While trying to rub the scuffs off my bro's new frisbee, the rim definitely felt like grippier plastic, but that came into play not at all while throwing it. Also one of his was #11 so he's a lucky SOB.

The QMS I threw a few years ago is actually what I thought of when I read you and ZJ describing the disc. Sounds like a solid mold, but also sounds like it'd be 10-15'shorter than an Axis or Buzz I'd imagine?

Latest posts