• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Bullfrog

My nice Postlady delivered my Bullfrog (and Pharaoh) to my doorstep today. I've made these observations, so far:
1. The Bullfrog is not nearly as shallow as the Tomb, and is less shallow than the Star Stud and Star Colt at the rim.
2. The Bullfrog looks a lot like the Whale on the underside (V-tech) and side of the rim. But the Bullfrog is FAF flat.
3. The Bullfrog feels very good in the hand. I like flat-topped discs, so I liked how it felt. Additionally, the XT plastic feels good, not too 'pencil eraser'-ish.
4. Inclement weather outside, so I won't get to throw the Bullfrog today. I did putt on the 'indoor range', i.e. my long hallway into the bedroom and the boxes I've stacked, about 19 ft. of length. The Bullfrog putted very straight with my spin putt. Yes, it's a limited test, but I did not sense I was throwing a Glide '1' brick. I'm looking forward to getting it to the course for some putting and throwing, to see what it really does and really can do...

TL; DR: flat, not as shallow as some feared, putts straight, needs more testing. But seems like a good disc if you like flat discs. :thmbup:

With a profile THAT similar to a Whale, I suspected it couldn't be as shallow as some people were saying, so thanks for clarifying that.

Honestly, in terms of the Whale, I putt with Daggers and I hated putting with the Whale. The Dagger is deep, but it's also pretty flat on top. The Whales I owned had a tall, sloping shoulder that made it hard for me to get a good grip and clean release for putting. So if the Bullfrog is a flatter Whale, then I might actually be interested (and maybe Ricky will too, who knows?). A flatter Whale would be more similar to a Dagger (although maybe not quite as deep). Of course it's also probably similar to a KC Pro Aviar and Ricky does have experience with those, so who knows? Then again, I doubt they will take Climo's signature off the KC Pro Aviar, so if Ricky is hoping for a signature putter, the Bullfrog could become that disc easily. I don't think a low glide number will affect his power loft/push putts all that much.

Aviarx3 is beadless whereas bullfrog is beaded?

And that's the point of the term 'V-AviarX3'. It does very much appear to be an AviarX3 top and V-Tech bottom piece (by definition, V-Tech is the convex underside with the bead). They just named it 'Bullfrog' instead of VAviarX3...

With a profile THAT similar to a Whale, I suspected it couldn't be as shallow as some people were saying, so thanks for clarifying that.

Honestly, in terms of the Whale, I putt with Daggers and I hated putting with the Whale. The Dagger is deep, but it's also pretty flat on top. The Whales I owned had a tall, sloping shoulder that made it hard for me to get a good grip and clean release for putting. So if the Bullfrog is a flatter Whale, then I might actually be interested (and maybe Ricky will too, who knows?). A flatter Whale would be more similar to a Dagger (although maybe not quite as deep). Of course it's also probably similar to a KC Pro Aviar and Ricky does have experience with those, so who knows? Then again, I doubt they will take Climo's signature off the KC Pro Aviar, so if Ricky is hoping for a signature putter, the Bullfrog could become that disc easily. I don't think a low glide number will affect his power loft/push putts all that much.

Yes, the Whale is essentially the Aviar top and V-Tech bottom, so it does have that sloping top you described. The Whale and Dagger are not exactly alike, but are 'not dissimilar', either. The Dagger does not feel like the Warden at all, but they fly similarly on putts.

The Bullfrog appears to weld the flat AviarX3 top to the V-Tech bottom, so it's more that than just a 'Whale3'...

I do like the feel and grip of that flat top, but then again I always liked the Colt, Stud, Tomb, Roc3, Shark3, Mako3, Leo3, etc. I'm looking forward to throwing the Bullfrog, but I suspect Mr. Dunipace made it with professional-grade players in mind...

And that's the point of the term 'V-AviarX3'. It does very much appear to be an AviarX3 top and V-Tech bottom piece (by definition, V-Tech is the convex underside with the bead). They just named it 'Bullfrog' instead of VAviarX3...

I was always under the assumption that the v-tech molds just referenced a convex wing.

I got two rounds in today, and it was Bullfrog on all the short drives. I can't throw P&A or KC Pro Aviars well, but I was getting accurate 200' drives today, and dead straight. Too much more than that, and my less than stellar form starts to turn it. I'm hoping with some improvements, that will get better but so far I think I've found my new putter.

Played 36 holes using the Bullfrog as my main putter.

First off I love shallow putters with thick rims. I was hoping for something a little more shallow. However the feel is very nice. I like the XT plastic. Coming from someone who loves Classic Blend stuff.....its a tad more stiff which is alright. I don't trust soft putters, because I get so many spit outs/rollaways.

The first 3 holes I was hitting the rim not used to it which was fine. After the next hole or 2, I was nailing putts in left and right without the fear of it going way past the basket.

My putting game in general is either on or off. When I do what I practice and throw with confidence, no problem. When I get anxious/nervous my wrist kinda of goes limp and my spin putts look like wobbly push putts. The Bullfrog quickly helped me get over that due to when missing it sat right next or under the basket.

It reminds me of my R-Pro Pig, a tad stiffer, beefy but not as thick as the Pig IMO. The difference is the spit outs. The Pig goes much faster as this doesn't have much glide at all with some fade in the end.

Right at the cusp of the putting circle, I might use something like my Suspect which I love due to its shallow and can go farther. Classic Blend is hard to beat for me.

I will keep using it as my main putter. I will however check out a Tomb if its more shallow...

The bonus of this disc is the stamp. It looks like an Alien Frog is giving it to the Bull. Its hilarious and a bunch of people kept asking what I was using.

Bullfrog report

Took the Bullfrog and some other discs to the range (schoolyard) today. I took a DX Aviar3 (3,2,0,2) for comparison purposes.

The Bullfrog has less glide than the Av3 and doesn't go as far. When I ripped on the Bullfrog, it went dead-straight and then faded at the end. The fade was a bit more pronounced when I threw in the tailwind, and less pronounced in the headwind direction.

I also didn't know how far I would be able to throw the Bullfrog; I can get a Nova and the Fuzion Warden I threw today to 200 ft., but I can't get my Polecat that far (nor do I every want to on the course). To my surprise, the Bulldog got some decent distance for me, nearly 200 ft. without respect for wind direction.

When thrown for accuracy with less power, the Bullfrog does fade, and the lack of glide shows itself. The Bullfrog is good for hyzer approaches, and those who are good at straight-to-fade shots will love it.

All-in-all, the Bullfrog is a good throwing approach disc for those with power that don't want glide. I'll take it to the course next week and see how it putts.

TL;DR: solid low-glide (but not no-glide) approach disc, comfortable to throw, can take power.

Played with mine yesterday and it was awesome. Like others have said dead straight. It also sticks really well. Also grabs the chains. I don't think it will replace my Mcpros tho. I don't think I will use it for FHs due to using the mortar and firebird for those shots. But all in all I'm going to bag it and use it for stop and stick appraiches and straight shots, tunnels and low ceilings.

For those who have thrown both...

How does the BF compare to the Serpent?

From what I am gathering, the BF sounds like a more ergonomic package for a similar flight. Great HSS, Low LSS & limited glide. Basically chuck it and let it fly straight to its destination.

How does BF compare to Harp? I love harps but they take so long to beat into straight glideless flyers

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

How does BF compare to Harp? I love harps but they take so long to beat into straight glideless flyers

No real comparison, IMHO. My Harps (in BT Hard and TP plastics) are more overstable from the get-go, but go farther on a full-power throw.

So far I have more trust in it since the glide and little fade. I'm not worried about going past the basket since this thing just sticks like a mini justice. The Justice has way more Fade obviously, but the BF is more suited for putting. The Justice wont be the putter I throw inside the circle on windy ass days. It's a huge important utility disc so that and the Froggy can work hand in hand.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

I dont see any comparison. I can still keep my Suspect in the bag which is more like a harp than the BF

I got two rounds in today, and it was Bullfrog on all the short drives. I can't throw P&A or KC Pro Aviars well, but I was getting accurate 200' drives today, and dead straight. Too much more than that, and my less than stellar form starts to turn it. I'm hoping with some improvements, that will get better but so far I think I've found my new putter.

200' and accurate with the BF you must be a damm great player. I'd be lucky hitting 200 with accuracy using my River or TB haha.

Practiced again with this but at home......so expect good numbers.

15mph crosswind the BF is the brick I wanted. It would hold a line but the crazy wind made me overshoot it 5 feet or hit rim and sit. Not a huge review. At worst it's my parking disc. I throw a Justice for far windy putts which are amazing. It's like the mini Justice for me minus a little less fade

Bullfrog report, putting and course work

Took the Bullfrog to the course today. Left the Polecat at home, so that most of my approaches would be with the Bullfrog. Decent weather: cool but not cold, just enough wind to make a difference on headwind and tailwind shots.

Putting: Because I'm tall (Big Jerm ain't got nuthin' on me), I often have to put at a downward angle, even on level ground. The Bullfrog did pretty well for me on those putts, as I could just throw firmly right at the center of the target.

People who putt firmly/hard, especially with a spin putt, and people who tend to not putt firmly because they fear how far a putter might fly by if they miss... would probably like the Bullfrog as a putter. I had one rollaway when I hit the cage, but if you just plain miss, the Bullfrog does not glide 30 feet away. The Bullfrog expects power, and handles power pretty well. It is not a finesse disc, fer sure. I made sure to putt with more power on my putts, and the Bullfrog handled that pretty well.

Having said all that... I was very surprised how touchy the Bullfrog is, especially in the mild headwinds today. I had a couple of longer putts hit the cage which I attributed to me not being used to the disc. But I also had a couple of times where the putter lifted and went clean over the basket(!). I also had a *doink* off the top band. Yeah, I may have gotten a bit nose up... but I really was expecting the Bullfrog to not be nearly that touchy.

On approaches, the Bullfrog generally did pretty well. If it comes out in premium plastic, this disc is gonna skip like crazy. In XT, it skipped some, and yes, it CAN roll and roll a good ways. But on hyzer lines, and lines going straight and finishing left, the Bullfrog did its job.

All in all, the Bullfrog will not make my bag. It won't beat out the (more shallow) TOMB for approach shots, and the Marshal is still the more comfortable and accurate putter for me. Once again, power throwers and power putters will probably like it, and I suspect those players will be the ones bagging the Bullfrog going forward.

Why is the Marshall special? General question. Deep dish?

First tag round with the BF. It didnt upset at all. I was more consistent putting with it with long putts being my Suspect. I think it is a keeper due to if I miss it doesnt go far to miss another putt. The plastic I feel can take a beating yet I only putt with this.

Paired with my Suspect and Justice. I have a good mix for any conditions. I used to be worried about missing, but when I do it's right next to the basket. It feels almost like my Pig but less OS and more of a brick like the Justice.

Other discs I used were a star TB, GL worn in River, New Opto River. 6 discs and used them all. No need for me to pack more unless water then I'd bag a dx TB or Eagle.

Why is the Marshall special? General question. Deep dish?

The Marshal is very comfortable in my particular putting grip, and does well with my spin putt. It's not TOO deep, though not as shallow as a Tomb, Colt, or Stud. It has a bead (unlike the beadless Warden), but not TOO big a bead (like the Judge). It flies well, with a level of glide that I like (and have gotten used to). The Classic/ZeroHard/BTHard plastic is very much to my liking, for the Marshal as well as other Trilogy molds (the Harp, for one example).

All in all, the Marshal just 'fits' me and my putting game. <3 :thmbup:

Last edited:

Latest posts