• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Destroyer

I need more Pro plastic.

Wait....WTH am I saying? I got enough discs. :doh:

Pro plastic is best for all these newer drivers like destroyers, boss, katana, etc., take a step back to wraiths, orcs, beasts, etc., and star plastic becomes the best choice.

Star Destroyers can range widely in stability when they are brand new.

Echo Star Destroyers are as stable as any Champ Destroyer is.
Also, Dave is now running stabilized Star Light Destroyers, around 165-168 grams, which are ridiculous meathooks when new, mine is finally starting to beat in after around 3 months of brutal landings. Both are very domey.

I have older Star Destroyers, white 169, pink 170, teal 171, which are alot flatter, and all now very flippy.

So Star can be a guessing game with Destroyers, but I still think it flies the best.

Domey Pro Destroyers have the most glide but also start most stable. They beat in quickly to great flyers. Great for rtating different stages of wear.

^right in general but wrong on the destroyer. my pro destroyers (from first run of them) are way more overstable than the star or the champion that i have thrown- i'd say the star is the least o/s of the 3.

The Pro Destroyers I have are actually more overstable then my stars.

Same with the ones I've thrown.

"I'm a Discraft only thrower as of right now because it's what I am used to and know, not because of some anti Innova thing, but I'm starting to look at the Innova Drivers (I don't think anything is going to take me off of my Discraft Mids and Putters) and some advice of what I should throw would be helpful and FYI I don't like the speed 13 discs, I've tried them all now and hate them all. "

I throw Innova and Discraft, without much prejudice either way. Average 350-370ft on the course in good conditions. As of 1 year ago, I had thought Discraft was only good for midrange and fairway drivers. I have recently started throwing Z Forces (174) for the spot Champ Bosses used to fill, since they have a more dependable high speed stability in the wind and less low speed fade. The rest of my distance drivers include Star max weight Destroyers (no wind distance), Star Wraiths (controllable distance) and a Pro Katana (tailwind or anhyzer). What I wanted but could never find was a distance driver with the controllability and ease of nose angle manipulation of a Wraith with the speed of a Destroyer/Boss. The ESP Nuke has fit that bill perfectly. Mine is 170g and flies long and straight without really having to crank on it like you would a Boss or Destroyer. It's very fast and has a dependable low speed fade without skipping too far left. You might want to check one out if you haven't, as it's easier for me to throw than any of the big Innova drivers, and might be for you as well. Hope this helps.

When new, my Champ and Star were pretty much identical stability-wise and both flat. The Pro that I have is more domey and more overstable.

Star Destroyers can range widely in stability when they are brand new.

Echo Star Destroyers are as stable as any Champ Destroyer is.
Also, Dave is now running stabilized Star Light Destroyers, around 165-168 grams, which are ridiculous meathooks when new, mine is finally starting to beat in after around 3 months of brutal landings. Both are very domey.

I have older Star Destroyers, white 169, pink 170, teal 171, which are alot flatter, and all now very flippy.

So Star can be a guessing game with Destroyers, but I still think it flies the best.

mine too... 168 Star Destroyer
i let everyone throw it, and when i test throw it, it's the only disc i am happy that hits a tree.

I let one of the "i throw everything @ 175" guys try it... Before he threw it, he bragged "i'm going to turn this over..."

He threw it like normal and it flew perfectly straight with an arguable (at best) turnover....
"can i have that disc"

3 months, too many trees to count and it's still a painful meathook. I throw it my hardest sidearm and i still cant get it up to full speed.

in retrospect, i wish i had bought a Pro like my last one... it beat in a lot faster.

mine too... 168 Star Destroyer
i let everyone throw it, and when i test throw it, it's the only disc i am happy that hits a tree.

I let one of the "i throw everything @ 175" guys try it... Before he threw it, he bragged "i'm going to turn this over..."

He threw it like normal and it flew perfectly straight with an arguable (at best) turnover....
"can i have that disc"

3 months, too many trees to count and it's still a painful meathook. I throw it my hardest sidearm and i still cant get it up to full speed.

in retrospect, i wish i had bought a Pro like my last one... it beat in a lot faster.

Yep, the new Star Light is like a disc golf bar trick, any big arm guy will think he can flip this thing like a nickle, till he throws it.
The thing is, with better glide than anything higher up in the stability range, and a nice light weight, when its broken in, there is nothing that will touch it in terms of full power distance throws.

I have 2 Pro and have had 2 star (lost and never returned) The Star were more overstable by a small amount. After about a year of regular play that were beat in and were still more overstable than the Pro. In my experience my Pro's get flippy quicker.

At full rip I'll flip a Destroyer, Star or Champ, but if I don't get all of my power behind the throw it'll never even get close. I assumed my Champ D would be much more stable than a Star, but my Champ is much more prone to flip.

When the Destroyer first came out I kept mistakenly calling it a Devastator, I guess like the Transformer or something. So now when I bomb it, it's referred to as Devastator.

Here is the run down.
DX starts the most overstable but beats to understable the quickest.
Pro is the most understable off the shelf, numbers are actually what Innova shows with a hair more glide.
Champ starts overstable and will beat in to the numbers perfectly.
Star starts overstable and will beat to a hair more understable than champ and is actually slower than all the other plastics.

i'm gonna say i agree with this to a t T. thats the best description of how the innova brand breaks in. i love my star destroyer but the pro goes for days.

Latest posts