• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

that hole 9 at Easley, must be the one that plays downhill over that big soccer field, I had a good throw there the other day with my Krait, It went surprisingly farther than my Renegade........possibly the wind was a factor

We should throw a round sometime, I was at Walhalla this afternoon again, I'm a tall skinny dude with a red Innova Hero Backpack, I'm always trying to learn things from more experienced players, I guess I should play sunday afternoon random dubs up there, donate money for the good players and all that jazz

Yep, that's the hole. My farthest throw this year ended up landing about 10 feet behind the twin pines. Just a few feet right or left and it would have been awesome, but right behind those pines left me with a terrible second shot.

We should, I haven't done doubles either. Saw a couple of the guys out there smoking while playing one time and it kinda turned be off. I like fresh air. And I don't like to pay to play/lose.

Just got my 168g Star Stryke in the mail. Looks really good. Some observations:

1. This thing is DOMEY! Maybe mine is the aberration, or maybe it's the norm, but the dome on my Shryke is a lot more than on my (168g) Star Tern.
2. The rim width does feel like it's no wider than the Tern, which by some standards would make it a Speed 12 disc. But one key to me was that the underside rim of the Shryke really reminds me of the "L" molds's undersides... the Beast-L, Eagle-L, SL, etc., that underside really looked like those to me.

I took it to the course today in the hopes of getting some comparison throws with the Tern. It's a beautiful, clear and cold day... but unfortunately the wind was blowing, and there were a lot of gusts and swirling conditions.

My first throw with both was with the wind coming from behind, about the 5:00 position on a relatively flat hole. The Tern caught some air and finished about 20 feet ahead of the Stryke. The Stryke faded a bit more but not by much.
On the second hole, a downhill, the wind was coming from the 4:00 position or so. Still, I managed to turn both discs over. The Shryke fought just a little harder, and ended up about 50 feet further down (further straightwise, not further to the right on the RHBH throw) than the Tern.
The next throw was a slight uphill and wind hitting me dead in the back. The Shryke faded a bit more than the Tern, and the distances were about even. At this point, I stopped throwing as the wind started getting even worse.

I'm looking forward to throwing in better conditions. I think the Shryke isn't all that much longer than the Tern, and may be a lot like a Champion Tern... less turnover, same to slightly more fade than the Star Tern. Ideally the Shryke might give a tad more distance than the Tern, but all-in-all I think it's not going to be all that significant for the 300 ft. thrower like me. A lighter weight might also make a difference.

Last edited:
Update: got in a full round today. Cold temperatures (for around here, at least). There was some wind, but not nearly as bad as yesterday.

First, as I was playing the full round, I could start feeling the difference in rim width. The Shryke *IS* a tad wider than the Tern.

Second, the Shryke does pull out of an anny flex shot just a tad better than my Star Tern... but not a lot better. Neither disc is your friend in a headwind or really any crosswind; both are understable and I expect the Shryke to get more so as it seasons in, just like the Tern has.

Third: Distance-wise, the Shrike is not a consistent improvement on the Tern. Maybe the ad was right that if you START at 350, you'll get 375 to 400 out of the Shryke... and since I"m throwing 300, I'm not getting that. Now one would think that, using the insidious weapons of that notorious mental terrorist, Al-Gebra, that a 350 to 375-400 would equate to 300 going to 321-342. I hope to test in calmer conditions on the range, but so far I am NOT seeing any distance gains from the Shryke over the Tern. In fact, when both are thrown correctly, the Tern may get me a bit more distance. But all-in-all, it's a wash.

Because now my 168g Tern is starting to get flippy, I was thinking of going to the 175g Hannah Leatherman Tern or trying a Champion Tern. I might put the Shryke in the bag instead, and use the HL Tern for more windy conditions.

I'll keep working with both discs as weather and time permit, but so far: while the Shrike is a good disc, it's not exactly kicking the Tern out of the bag. That's my $0.02; I hope to hear y'all's opinions on the Shryke soon...

Definitely give the Champ Tern a try. I throw pretty hard, and it can handle a good flat rip with 100% power. It'll turn to the right somewhat, but always ends up decent. The one Star Tern I ever threw was too light and it was way flippy. The Champion is a much nicer disc IMO.

If you want to stay on the flippy side, try a heavy Champ Mamba. It's a little wild, but damn does that disc have some distance capability. Keeping it straight isn't super easy though.

Definitely give the Champ Tern a try. I throw pretty hard, and it can handle a good flat rip with 100% power. It'll turn to the right somewhat, but always ends up decent. The one Star Tern I ever threw was too light and it was way flippy. The Champion is a much nicer disc IMO.

If you want to stay on the flippy side, try a heavy Champ Mamba. It's a little wild, but damn does that disc have some distance capability. Keeping it straight isn't super easy though.

Thanks for the info. I do have a 175g Champ Mamba (found it in a drainage pipe on the course), and it can be fun to throw but like you said, it's not all that consistent (at least not for me).

I had a lightweight Star (not Starlite) Tern and moved up to 167g. I also have the Hannah Leatherman Star Terns at 175g. I have a Champ Tern at 157g, and it is now a bit light for me, so I might get a Champ Tern in the upper 160s. I was hoping the Shryke would be a more stable as well as longer disc than the Tern, and we'll have to see what works out. Hey, I only have all Winter to figure it out, eh?

I got a G* Shryke in the mail today. I haven't thrown it yet but thought it was interesting that "D3" was written on the bottom and scribbled out with "SY" written above it. Is innova working on a Destroyer 3?

I got a G* Shryke in the mail today. I haven't thrown it yet but thought it was interesting that "D3" was written on the bottom and scribbled out with "SY" written above it. Is innova working on a Destroyer 3?

I don't know if I'd read too much into that. I once saw a Colt with DS on the bottom instead of CL. Could have been a tired or absentminded employee.

I don't know about Innova working on a Destroyer3, but my Star Shryke is not flat-topped like the '3' series discs are... my Shryke has one of the biggest domes of any disc i own or event that I'e ever seen.

I have a nice and flat Star Shryke. Of the ones I saw, it's was maybe 50/50. A couple real domey pop tops and a couple fairly flat. I didn't know which would be better but I went with the flat one.

I have a nice and flat Star Shryke. Of the ones I saw, it's was maybe 50/50. A couple real domey pop tops and a couple fairly flat. I didn't know which would be better but I went with the flat one.

Sounds like I need to find and try out a flat-top Star Shryke. The domey one I have really is no different for me than my Star Tern.

If you can't get it up to speed, it won't. Not saying you can't, but just saying. I see the differences as negligible anyways. All that said, I want a flat and domey one.

Last edited:
If you can't get it up to speed, it won't. Not saying you can't, but just saying. I see the differences as negligible anyways. All that said, I want a flat and domey one.

True. For me, I was hoping for a Star disc that got at least as much distance (for me) as my Star Terns with maybe a little less turnover. The domey Shryke turns over; maybe the flatter one's are more true to the numbers? At any rate, what I want might only exist in the Champion Tern as far as flight, but not the plastic I want...

Last edited:
True. For me, I was hoping for a Star disc that got at least as much distance (for me) as my Star Terns with maybe a little less turnover. The domey Shryke turns over; maybe the flatter one's are more true to the numbers? At any rate, what I want might only exist in the Champion Tern as far as flight, but not the plastic I want...

How about a lightish Star Colossus? I could see that being a massive bomber that isn't too stable.

How about a lightish Star Colossus? I could see that being a massive bomber that isn't too stable.

That's an idea, though I'm thinking the big rim might be an issue. I have a pink Star Daedalus (and a GStar Daedalus, too) that I threw during 'Throw Pink' month. It did all right though it did not beat out the Tern.

Right now I'm thinking of revisiting the Fuzion Renegade, Star Wraith (162g) and Star Archon. And seeing what the Champion Tern does... my current one is 157g; maybe a 163g or so would be in my wheelhouse.

Also, I haven't given up on the Shryke yet. It may turn out to work fine as I get to know it, and I may try to find a flat one in the coming weeks.

Darn, I'll just have to play a lot more disc golf to figure this all out...

You really want to up the ante, pick up a Westside Destiny. It'll blow just about everything away. Flies similar to a Tern, but longer and with better glide.

You really want to up the ante, pick up a Westside Destiny. It'll blow just about everything away. Flies similar to a Tern, but longer and with better glide.

Another interesting idea. How does the Destiny compare to the Freedom and Bolt?

Latest posts