• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

I lyke my shryke.

I like mine. Numbers are just what I wanted. I throw a max g star. Getting ready to find
/put a 171 champion in bag. I think it would be perfect for me. This is what worked for me when the Colossus came out. I wish Innova would make 14,6,-1,0.

I like mine. Numbers are just what I wanted. I throw a max g star. Getting ready to find
/put a 171 champion in bag. I think it would be perfect for me. This is what worked for me when the Colossus came out. I wish Innova would make 14,6,-1,0.

Is your Shryke domed or more flat-topped?

BTW, AFAIK the Shryke is not yet out in Champion plastic.

I have a destiny as well as a shryke. A VIP destiny is similar in stability and better glide for sure. For me though my max distance tailwind bomber is the MVP catalyst. It outdoes the destiny and d4 for me easily. I recently aquired the experimental 148g cannon and have briefly thrown it. It has crazy distance potential for sure.

A Bolt is quite a bit less stable than a Destiny. Frankly I've had little luck with Bolts. They're fun to mess with in the field, but on a course they're way too squirly to get consistency out of.

To me the Destiny is basically a Tern on steroids. Same general flight characteristics, but the Destiny is a hair faster, has better glide, and is longer.

For those who bag a ddx does the star shryke fly similar? For reference a fresh s-line ddx 172g+ will give me a slight turn then fade back at 410. I wonder if it'll give me the same line but with a deeper grip. My flat 175 gstar shryke is too understable/unpredictable for the lines needed at my course.

Saw my first Shryke at a tournament Saturday. Threw it twice after a full day playing below freezing. Interesting disc. It looked to me to have an extremely US bottom, then that was countered by massive dome. Can't say if I'll buy one. Maybe if I have tourney funny money. This event was predetermined Discmania discs as prizes, so I didn't even look to see if the sponsor brought any for sale.

I have a destiny as well as a shryke. A VIP destiny is similar in stability and better glide for sure.

Just quoted the above for reference; this post is a general one for everyone, not just the person I just quoted.

Today I played a round on the home course. It was COLD, so I had the course to myself for the most part. I would throw the Shryke off the tee, then throw the my Tournament Plastic Destiny, or vice versa.

There was some wind but not a lot. I turned over the Shryke a lot, either by grip-lock or the wind grabbing it. I turned over the Destiny some, but if fought out better every time. For the most part the Destiny went farther. It had a bit more turn and definitely more fade than the Shryke. The bottom line is that I usually was picking up my Shryke on the way to where my Destiny landed.

So if I come across a flat-topped Shryke, or at least one with much less dome than mine, I might pick it up. But what I have is NOT more overstable than my Terns, is NOT longer than the Destiny (nor the Terns, on average), and probably won't make my bag on a permanent basis, so sorry...

I still feel the same way about the shryke and destiny. The shryke has found some usefulness at certain courses though. Ones where there is really long turnover shots over 350 feet long that I don't want anything coming back. I've tried the destiny out there a number of times and its a hit or miss.
I prefer my catalyst over both of these discs though. Much more reliable.

just picked up a 171g Star (fairly firm Star) Shryke. Feels really nice.

I tossed my friends Shryke at BRP hole 19/20 (the one where you tee off elevated and its pretty open (over the creek) to a basket on the circle of bricks....ANYWAY

It was COLD. I threw a 175g Star. It was mildly windy. We all threw our first shots...we ALLLLLL turned them over hugely....I actually turned a Hurricane over to land by the pin for #20/21.

With that said I tossed the Skryke on the next throw. It bombed....Had some turn for sure but wasn't like a really flippy turn. Then had a nice fade. Mostly smooth on both turn and fade. ended up ~ 400 Straight ahead from my release....tho not by the basket. Was a better throw than my first. I cannot give a good review yet as it was 1 throw

The Star Plastic was very solid in the -2 F temps we had haha, things DO flip easier in cold and especially with wind so those factors matter.

I really hope this disc flies close to 13/5/-1/2 is my hope. I have been searching that MAX D disc for a LONG time, one with sliiight turn to allow distance but straight overall flight without the fear of ripping it TOO much and turning forever in to Right Anny land.

I love the Tern/DDX but both are my UNDERSTABLE discs, they are not to be trusted with a full power throw and end up straight or left, they are Turnovers for sure. A DDX that is more HSS is my hope. Likely want to get a Champ DDX in the future, but for winter i throw Star or softer. Not a G star fan tho.....unless its like 5 or below.

Update: Okay, I finally got to hold some Shrykes in my grubby paws at the store. The three Star Shrykes (including one pink one) were all max weight, so I did not buy any of them. One of them was very domey (like mine), the others had a dome with a bit flatter top; kind of like some TLs. But the bottom line is that all of them were NOT shallow in any way. They are domey, and I would not expect them to be any more (over)stable than my Shryke.

There were also several GStar Shrykes there. They look a lot more like the Vulcan/Archon top... slanting upwards to a flat top, like a 1950s UFO or something :) .

So with that question of the dome finally answered, I'm not seeing any reason to get another Shryke. I'll use the one I've got for a while, but the bottom line is that the Shryke isn't going to replace my Tern(s) in my bag.

Update: Okay, I finally got to hold some Shrykes in my grubby paws at the store. The three Star Shrykes (including one pink one) were all max weight, so I did not buy any of them. One of them was very domey (like mine), the others had a dome with a bit flatter top; kind of like some TLs. But the bottom line is that all of them were NOT shallow in any way. They are domey, and I would not expect them to be any more (over)stable than my Shryke.

There were also several GStar Shrykes there. They look a lot more like the Vulcan/Archon top... slanting upwards to a flat top, like a 1950s UFO or something :) .

So with that question of the dome finally answered, I'm not seeing any reason to get another Shryke. I'll use the one I've got for a while, but the bottom line is that the Shryke isn't going to replace my Tern(s) in my bag.

If you want to give the Tern some competition, try a Discmania DDX. Similar mold, but the DDX is a hair more stable. Has all the glide though, and to me seems even a tick faster than a Tern.

If you want to give the Tern some competition, try a Discmania DDX. Similar mold, but the DDX is a hair more stable. Has all the glide though, and to me seems even a tick faster than a Tern.

Thanks for bringing up the DDx. I do have a S-Line and a C-Line DDx. They are both pretty good, especially in a mild headwind. The C-Line is more OS than the S-line, but it does not go as far (for me).

I'm thinking about having a 'competition' between the DDx and the Hannah Terns to see which disc gets the "overstable" (i.e. windy weather) driver slot in my bag.

Thanks for bringing up the DDx. I do have a S-Line and a C-Line DDx. They are both pretty good, especially in a mild headwind. The C-Line is more OS than the S-line, but it does not go as far (for me).

I'm thinking about having a 'competition' between the DDx and the Hannah Terns to see which disc gets the "overstable" (i.e. windy weather) driver slot in my bag.

Yeah i wanted the DDX to be a bit more High Speed Stable...its not. Its a great disc and I love both that and the HL Terns, which I own 3 at 175g...but....neither are to be used in any wind they are both very understable, and thats fine. I think a Modified DDx to be a bit more High speed stable while overall still having S shape Max distance....now THATS a disc I wanna see......

Which is why i got a Shryke.....i get out tomorrow morn 2 degrees Vision Quest. LETS GOOOOOOOOOOO

I have a 175 DDX and it seems plenty stable. It'll bend to the right on hard releases, but won't crash and burn. Overall its just a slight bit more stable than a Tern.

Definite parallels to a well worn Destroyer, but to me the DDX and Tern have better glide.

I didn't throw the DDX a ton of times, but if I had time to really feel it out I think it could be as long as any driver out there. It has the right flight characteristics to be top tier. I'd say the same for the Tern too.

Thankfully I was able to get out this weekend and play a competitive round. I used the Shryke (Blue regular Star plastic 171g)
I'll admit I was skeptical trying another 13 speed driver expecting it to be a Katana type disc that would either be too high speed understable or too low speed overstable.
The throws I got in (in conditions: 2*F-12*F, wind 5-8mph, sunny, calm) were all good. The disc flew very close to what the numbers indicate. I would basically agree. 13/6/-2/2. Mayyybe saying 6 for glide is a stretch, but....I can't say I'd disagree. Flew very nice, At solid power it had some turn, but it was a smooth turn allowing for more distance, the midflight is fairly straight, fade is reliable. Takes a slight hyzer release very well. Stood up and held a long straight line with some decent fade. The 2 most impressive shots came from drives that needed distance but also placement. Hole 17 Vision Quest Cedar, MN. You kind of have to sky shot over some pine trees and want it to land fairly centered. I threw flat with good power. It went on a sliiiight turn for half the flight getting good D and over the trees, then had a nice forward fade getting off the tree line to the Right and landing in a perfect spot just 50-60 feet from the pin. I ended up laying up that shot to take a tap in 3, but I threw a funzie and drained the shot (would have been an epic 2!) Anyway, next shot, hole 18 . This is a LONG shot. Fairly open. But you are throwing over a large pond. (It was frozen so no worries, but wanted to take that in to consideration) This was actually my best throw ever on this hole. Long shot, slight S turn , faded and landed in the center of the fairway about 100 from the pin. From my short time out with this disc I was very impressed. It was true to the flight # and the feel/flight/and overall ease of use was great. I recommend this disc for players trying to find that Max D bomber disc that will have some turn. (The best comparisons I could make would be a slightly more HSS katana, a beat to heck Star Destroyer, or a Longer Valkyrie) Only recommend for Adv/Open level players.

paul forehand bomb

In part 2 of the Aussie Open first round, Paul CRUSHES a forehand Shryke shot (Thanks Eagle for saying the disc he threw). Shryke made it to the champs tournament bag