• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova's new "Pro Line" plastic

garublador1

* Ace Member *
Has anyone formed an opinion of Innova's new "Super grip and durable" Pro Line plastic? I'm talking about the stuff that the Iowa Worlds Fundraiser Super Roc is made of, not the stuff they use for the KC Pro Line and the newer "Pro" TeeBirds.

My experience so far is that it feels better than most of the other plastics that are in production now, is more durable than the cheap stuff (but will still wear down and break in, albeit slower than DX) and less expensive than the "candy" stuff. I don't have the experience to know how it files compared to what else is available now but I'm hoping that's also good since I'm considering looking at using more of this plastic.

it seems very similar to earlier millennium plastic, and a little more gummy/flexible than the old SE plastic they're claiming to be modeling after.

if it is similar to the SE/millennium plastic (no nylon blend in it) it will fly very similar to the DX in terms of distance, but slightly more overstable. the unfortunate side effect of this is that they will also be prone to taco.

if it's got nylon blend in it, it will be noticably more overstable and with less distance but lots more durable.

i haven't thrown them, only gripped them. i like the feel on the drivers, but i found the approach/midranges to feel kinda crappy.

I have one of the 180 Iowa fundraiser Super Rocs...
I got that and a Ken Climo One...
Gonna have to analyze how they feel to see if i really notice a difference.
Got a JLS and 2 EXPs, so i'll see how close they feel compared to my Milleniums next time im out in the field.

i have had a few iowa rocs, they feel great in hand, but i dont get the d with them that I can get with most Rocs. great for turnover approaches. Havn't tossed the teebird or avair yet.

would have to go back a ways for the millennium stuff i was thinking of...

polaris ls 1.9 or earlier
jls 1.4 or earlier
exp1 1.5 or earlier, etc.

once they had the ce blend in em the feel changed a ton

took out a 174g pro teebird today. found it to be less high speed stable than a dx yet more low speed overstable. it was faster as well. the plastic is not super durable. 1 good tree hit and the rim integrity was breeched slightly, although wasn't "taco time" like the old se stuff. will post more observations as i go.

I carry two Pro TeeBirds. One is super beat-up, many a taco (all done intentionally) and is my turnover roller or a hyzer-flat-flip disc. The other is newer and I use for anhyzers. If I snap it properly, it'll hold the anhyzer line down into the ground.

I threw the new Super Roc side by side with a 2003 Black X Wasp. I noticed that they have similar stabilities, with the Wasp being just slightly faster and more floaty. I find the new Pro plastic to be too soft, and I prefer the stiffer X plastic. It just feels more sturdy, while Pro feels flimsy and chinsy.

I grabbed a couple of the Pro Teebird-L's that Innova just put out and got to throw them a bit this weekend. I found them to be pretty long discs, with a good amount of glide that flew very, very straight. They're more of a finesse type disc, so they can be overpowered and turned over, but if thrown on a hyzer-flip line they're like a laser. I'm not really a big arm, I'd guess my longest throws have been at around 350' or so, but I was able to get them to the very edge of the "chasm" of hole 4 at Basset Creek Park in Crystal, MN (dead center in the wide picture http://www.playdg.com/bassettcreek/?h=4 and just to the right of the picture when you zoom in) from the pro tee with 8'-10' of height, and almost zero fade.

The plastic is a bit different from the regular Pro Teebird. It seems a little tackier and apparently is a bit more durable.

I didn't notice any difference in feel from the Pro T to the Pro TL. Nor any difference in durability. The TL nose is blunter but still tacoes quite easily. It's prone to splitting upon hard contact with rocks/stones. Also, the Pro plastic does not forgive off-axis torque and/or hard acceleration/snap: it wobbles noticably out of the hand which leads to severe flipping. And strangely enough the ProTL comes out of the mold a good 1/8-1/4 inch domier than the CFR-TL and is correspondingly 1/8 inch smaller in diameter. This size difference is enough to call into question it's PDGA approval at max weight. I realize that certain plastics (polyethylenes, mostly) can shrink up to 6% after molding but it seems like someone should have noticed the size difference... :roll:

Elite X plastic, on the other hand, is very impressive. Much more durable yet will still beat up enough to allow 'tuning' of your favorite disc. Ever since I got an X-Wasp, my CE 04 & KC Rocs are trembling in fear of retirement. :twisted:

Kenja said:
I didn't notice any difference in feel from the Pro T to the Pro TL. Nor any difference in durability. The TL nose is blunter but still tacoes quite easily. It's prone to splitting upon hard contact with rocks/stones. Also, the Pro plastic does not forgive off-axis torque and/or hard acceleration/snap: it wobbles noticably out of the hand which leads to severe flipping.

Interesting, I actually haven't noticed any of that with the Pro TL, but I did with the Pro T. The Pro T would lose it's shape after hitting a tree (the 2004 World' Super Roc does the same thing for me) and would wobble easily but the Pro TLs I've been throwing have been keeping their shape very well and haven't wobbled in the least and I know my techniuqe is far from perfect. I don't think I'd want to have a wide rimmed driver driver that requires a lot of power in this plastic because I prefer stiffer plastic for those discs, but for finesse type discs like the TL, this newer blend seems to work well.