• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Invictus

Threw 169g Invictus today. It has some dome. Faster firebird is good description. Feels great in hand. Tried it both BH and FH. Even at 169g it is more stable than any anax or stable run of pd I've thrown.

This would be great disc for big power throwers or a utility disc for anyone else. I threw it primarily on spike hyzers FH and BH. It digs in right where it lands with little ground play. If I tried to flex it fought out really quick.

So you actually get some air with the Invictus where the Firebird just wants to get to the ground?

I am loving the Invictus. It is similar to a Sexton Firebird, but a little straighter at high speeds and in my opinion it hooks up faster when if does fade. I am definitely getting a little more distance out of it and I will be bagging it. My firebird will still be utility shots, but the Invictus is a little more useful.

I used to throw the straight (flatish) PDs and this disc is definitely more overstable than both the Anax and PD, but it is more overstable in the finish, it does not fight left out of the hand immediately. So the beginning portion looks just like the PD and Anax, but the finish is stronger.

Anyone throwing these?

All of my Thunderbirds are beat to about dead straight so I need something that goes reliably left at the 350-420 foot range my Firebird doesn't quite reach.

If the invictus doesn't work out, I've found newer run PDs to be the beef.

I used to throw the straight (flatish) PDs and this disc is definitely more overstable than both the Anax and PD, but it is more overstable in the finish, it does not fight left out of the hand immediately. So the beginning portion looks just like the PD and Anax, but the finish is stronger.

So, faster, mellower FB? Actually sounds quite useful. Like something you can put a bit of flex on to get through a tunnel but have some skip/left movement once you're out

So, faster, mellower FB? Actually sounds quite useful. Like something you can put a bit of flex on to get through a tunnel but have some skip/left movement once you're out

Got mine in the mail and immediately bagged one for a round. It's easily one of my new favorite discs.

Your theory I quoted above is pretty much dead accurate. Longer Firebird that travels straight for a decent amount of time before fading.

I LOVE it because it can pretty easily reach out to 350-425 range with a majority straight flight. BUT it still has a TON of left movement at the end of the throw.

It's great for low skip shots in the woods to hit gaps and still cover a large amount of distance.

Immediately in the top 5 discs for me and that never happens right away (you can see by my signature I've got a pretty traditional Innova bag).

Got mine in the mail and immediately bagged one for a round. It's easily one of my new favorite discs.

Your theory I quoted above is pretty much dead accurate. Longer Firebird that travels straight for a decent amount of time before fading.

I LOVE it because it can pretty easily reach out to 350-425 range with a majority straight flight. BUT it still has a TON of left movement at the end of the throw.

It's great for low skip shots in the woods to hit gaps and still cover a large amount of distance.

Immediately in the top 5 discs for me and that never happens right away (you can see by my signature I've got a pretty traditional Innova bag).

Funny, because yesterday I decided to bring along a second FB in my bag. I usually bag a '19 sexton. It's a standard FB flight. But this other one I added has a bit of dome, a lower PLH, and has more straight glide than a standard FB. It was windy yesterday, and I didn't realize how useful this slot can be. I was getting fresh teebird flights in a 20+mph headwind. Good stuff.

I'll have to try out an invictus soon. I'm liking these early reviews.

Yesterday i got a 172g and 175g set of swirly star Invictus (non-proto) discs in the mail. The first thing i noticed is that the 175 is VERY domey, and the 172 has a slight dome. I'm not a fan of super domey discs and was a bit disheartened to see the heavier disc (which i'm more amped about) to be the domey one. anyone else seeing a difference in dome depending on the weight range? hopping over to some merchant sites like OTB, it does appear the heavier discs in the new swirly run are more domey.

On the course i only threw the 175g very domey Invictus. Echoing some earlier statements, it hooks up and hooks up hard when it fades. I play with a '19 FB and a First Run Pioneer as my go-to's for FH, and the Invictus might be the perfect disc to complete the trifecta. I've been searching for something beefier than the Pioneer with the ability to drive forward and fade out hard, and this is it.

BH the disc is able to drive forward with no risk of it flipping over. I've got a pretty powerful throw and I didn't feel like if i threw it flat it would run away from me. In the wind the disc was still able to finish strong and provide a nice fan skip.

FH the disc will hook up fast if you're trying to flex it. I'm used to throwing a PD2 when i need a big flex FH and this disc instantly replaced the need to throw the PD2 on holes under 400. The PD2 takes too long to hookup on flex shots and this creates a small window to get the shot right. With the Invictus, I was able to flex it long enough and then rely on it to aggressively stable up and then continue with a hard fade. If you're expecting it to drive forward on the fade, it will not. In my experience the disc will fade hard but consistently.

That's my two cents. Let me know if y'all are seeing consistently domey heavy runs. It's interesting how the molds came out considering the protos don't appear to be super domey.

This pretty much sum's up my experience with the Invictus.

Domey Invictus = :sick:
Flat'ish Invictus = :thmbup:

FYI, the Big Star Stamp vs. production run, not much of a difference in my opinion. The biggest difference in flight is the amount of dome. For me, the Invictus flies a lot like a Champ Monster but with a smidge more glide.

This pretty much sum's up my experience with the Invictus.

Domey Invictus = :sick:
Flat'ish Invictus = :thmbup:

FYI, the Big Star Stamp vs. production run, not much of a difference in my opinion. The biggest difference in flight is the amount of dome. For me, the Invictus flies a lot like a Champ Monster but with a smidge more glide.

Both of mine are flat-ish. Do the domey ones fly differently?

After having a greater chance to throw these and compare to a Sexton Firebird (2018), it is definitely much longer and straighter, but has a very similar and more sudden fade than the firebird. It is definitely different enough to carry both if you like overstable plastic.

Threw my 172 Invictus today and was pretty pleased with the results. Flies like a slightly more OS Thunderbird (comparable to the recent pop top champ thunderbirds). Flies straight for most of the flight then dumps hard at the end.

I played in some stiff winds today 20 mph sustained winds and the Invictus, which earlier I likened to a longer Firebird, did not perform as expected. I would throw it along side the 2018 sexton firebird (would hold line, up to 300 ft) and the Invictus got knocked off line, raised, dropped, and turned over. I still like the Invictus and in calm weather it will take a lot of the Firebird shots, but it does not have the same stability over a wide range of winds.

So what's the verdict on this thing? It seems to have the 2.1mm rim which I love, since my main distance driver is the Wraith. I've been looking for a "Wraith OS", and I don't want to try to hunt down one of the old metal flake ones. Does this fit the bill?

I've thrown a Teerex before but they weren't that overstable, or at least they didn't stay that way. I'm hoping that this is a shorter XCal that I can bookend my bag of Wraiths with. I also throw Firebirds but from what I'm seeing these are a few ticks faster and a few ticks less overstable.

If you throw the 11 speed Wraith, and want an over stable pairing, why not try the 11 speed max? I guess it's 2.2mm rim, tho

If you throw the 11 speed Wraith, and want an over stable pairing, why not try the 11 speed max? I guess it's 2.2mm rim, tho

I tried that pairing for a bit, but the max is so glideless that it was basically a bookend firebird (that I didn't need, I already have a very OS faf in the bag). It didn't come anywhere near wraith distance. I switched it out for a pd2 and have been happy with the results so far. I don't use the pd2 much but it's nice insurance if I want to throw a bomber flex forehand.

If you like the wraith and want something a bit more OS look for a color glow. I've seen two different variants, I believe an older run that's kinda stiff and pop top, and a run that's flatter.

The flat ones are interesting, the bottom wing is fairly flat and so is the top...at first glance you might think it'd be kinda flippy but they're not. They look about like a max without the real blunt nose. I received some in a tournament order and held onto a few of the color glows as potential max replacements. Thrown them a little and calm they're pretty much straight with healthy fade, I think in a moderately stiff headwind they'd probably flip a little.