• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it better to have many discs or just a few?

Nasty Nate

Double Eagle Member
This is something I have contemplated for a little while, and since I have joined this forum I have pondered it even more. Do you think it's better to have a plethora of discs at your disposal, or a more defined group of your favorite plastic?

Considering that many players prefer to carry multiples of their favorite discs as well as a variety of discs, and large disc bags can carry so many discs, is this a blessing or a burden? I feel like this may over-complicate things, although it may also simplify things considering that you have a disc for every shot.

I would like to think that the right combination of say 12 or less discs should be able to get the job done. It also would present more of a challenge to the player since he would have to work within his disc set to meet every situation. I think it's cool to use and have as many discs as your heart desires (because we all know it can be a bit addicting :) ) but I kind of think it's unnecessary to carry 30+ discs around with you. I also realize that many duplicates are there in case others are lost, but let's pretend like we're not going to lose any discs for this discussion. Because on top of that, you have to learn the behavior of all these different discs in order to use them!

What do you folks think?

Well, I have the Voodoo Mojo, which comfortably holds 16 discs. That seems to be the perfect number for me. Sure, you can make it work with less discs, which teaches you to create various lines with the same disc, but there's a flip side to that as well. When you have more discs for more shots, you can basically throw the same way every time and the disc will do what it needs to. That can help improve consistency. So I think 12 to 16 is a good number. At 16, I also have a space or two for an extra disc (a new disc, something different I'm trying out, etc.).

I say have a few disks that you know and love. Ones you can rely no matter what situation! Then have the extras to play around with and learn how to throw them and what they can do for you.

Ultimately I think it will depend on the natural ability of each individual. Some do better with few whereas others require more. I do think that it is essential to everyone's development of fundamentals that a core of stable/neutral discs for each general range is kept to give a familiarity, a baseline or reference point if you will, for analyzing the suitability of discs that lie closer to the extremes of the stability scale. This also benefits the development of line-shaping skills that one wouldn't so readily acquire using the "Swiss Army Knife" approach of one mold or disc for every particular line.

it doesn't matter how many discs you carry as long as you are comfortable and confident with those discs. you can carry a bunch of discs and not complicate things as long as you've put the time in with those discs and know how they'll fly when you throw it.

when you look at people who carry 20+ discs a lot of the time it's due to them carrying a handful of putters and backups. what type of courses a person normally plays can factor in a huge amount as well. if you live where you're throwing big hyzers and not dealing with obstacles it doesn't make much sense to carry a lot of mids or finesse type discs. where i live i never really need to carry many drivers because it's mostly shorter technical golf.

so i wouldn't put to much stock in to looking what somebody else is doing and base your decisions on that. just examine what courses you play regularly and feel out what discs you need for those courses.

it doesn't matter how many discs you carry as long as you are comfortable and confident with those discs. you can carry a bunch of discs and not complicate things as long as you've put the time in with those discs and know how they'll fly when you throw it.

when you look at people who carry 20+ discs a lot of the time it's due to them carrying a handful of putters and backups. what type of courses a person normally plays can factor in a huge amount as well. if you live where you're throwing big hyzers and not dealing with obstacles it doesn't make much sense to carry a lot of mids or finesse type discs. where i live i never really need to carry many drivers because it's mostly shorter technical golf.

so i wouldn't put to much stock in to looking what somebody else is doing and base your decisions on that. just examine what courses you play regularly and feel out what discs you need for those courses.

^This^ Well said, new.

What New said is pretty spot on. I am a "less is more" kind of player. If you watch tourneys, you'll find that most players throw the same discs over and over. They may carry a lot, but rarely use them.

What New said is pretty spot on. I am a "less is more" kind of player. If you watch tourneys, you'll find that most players throw the same discs over and over. They may carry a lot, but rarely use them.

I am like what you describe of many tourney players. I use my core 3 or 4 discs all the time, but there is almost always a few shots where I need one of my situational discs each round. There is no way to predict which ones I'll need, so I just carry more.

Good stuff all around. I agree with what you guys are saying. I suppose it depends on numerous factors. Also I have been thinking about getting another putter so that would make... 2 putters for me! And so it begins! haha

I generally carry 5 distance drivers. An extreme over and understable, a pretty straight shooter, a disc for wind, and a rubber one when I want something to stick.

Then I carry 2 fairway drivers: a straight shooter and a rubber one for when I want something to stick.

For mids I carry 4 also from extreme over to extreme understable.

And a disc for thumbers and a putter for a total of 13 discs. My bag holds 16 so that leaves me some room for a couple of goof off trial discs. I would rather have a certain disc for a certain job then trying to force just a couple of discs into wiggling the way I want. I feel like it helps me be more consistent. I don't see myself adding any more to the lineup anytime soon, or taking any away.

Don't waste money

I carry with me a Gateway Slayer Evolution, Innova Beast DX, Innova Leopard DX, Discraft Buzzz Elite-Z, Ching Precision Power, Legacy Clutch Excel. Thats it carrying less discs is better to learn how to throw but then after that I believe it is your choice to get more for me that means more possibilities. But this does cost more, if money is tight then get good at using just a few disks and buy more of those periodically.

If you look at my bag you can see I carry a bunch right off hand. The truth is I carry much more than that.

I carry multiple plastic molds in almost every disc I own except for some of my really overstable stuff.

I have 32 discs in my bag and these discs are ones I know really well. I like to have all my bases covered in case I have a bad shot or If I go to a course that has some different shots than what I'm used to.

I also carry a lot because I'm a finesse thrower.

A lot of people can do really well with a bag of just 8 discs. One of my friends who is really good only uses 7 in his bag. He's just found what he likes so he just sticks with those discs.

I carry around 20 discs. I have multiples of my putters for warming up and practice. I also have multiples of a few drivers in different plastics. I generally find myself going for the same drivers and mids. Weather factors in as well as the course that was mentioned before, I may only use 4-5 different molds in a round. Part of the joy of the game for me is trying out new molds. So I carry a pretty large variety in my bag.

I am like what you describe of many tourney players. I use my core 3 or 4 discs all the time, but there is almost always a few shots where I need one of my situational discs each round. There is no way to predict which ones I'll need, so I just carry more.

I fit this pretty well. I play a lot of local and a few out of town tourneys. I have seven courses that I consider "local." And at least that many that I drive out to play a few times a year. So my goal with my bag is "ready for anything." I never know what the weather will bring, or what fresh hell of rough I might need to get myself out of.

I AM right up with OP's Ideal for bags, I carry 12-13 molds, but 22 discs, 6 are putters. 5 are mids, all different. My drivers are all different plastics/wear/PLH/etc. Many have similar feels, so to my hand it's more like having 1 putter, 3 mids and 3 drivers. I don't carry anything that's only useful in windy weather, or for one type of shot.

I think everyone goes through the "I wish I had my XXX right now" phase. Some try to satisfy it. Others (like me) give up. On the course I usually carry three drivers (over, under, straight plus one backup), two mids, (fast and slow) a driving putter and a putting putter. I own about fifty discs and adjust my bag to the course I'm playing. At the course, I'll often have a bag of spares that I keep in the truck.

BUY ALL THE DISCS!
Words of wisdom :D

I also wanted to ask what sort of weights you prefer for your discs. Right now my drivers are all around 171g, my putter is 175g, and I have a 176g Buzzz and a 182g Drone. I love the Buzzz but my Drone is new and I haven't thrown it a whole lot, it has basically no glide and is like throwing a brick. Although I did get it just to have a super OS disc for strong hooks, so I don't expect to throw it 300+ feet.

I guess I am just wondering if I should consider a heavier or lighter driver (Also I didn't want to start another thread just to ask this question, I hope that's ok).

Words of wisdom :D

I also wanted to ask what sort of weights you prefer for your discs. Right now my drivers are all around 171g, my putter is 175g, and I have a 176g Buzzz and a 182g Drone. I love the Buzzz but my Drone is new and I haven't thrown it a whole lot, it has basically no glide and is like throwing a brick. Although I did get it just to have a super OS disc for strong hooks, so I don't expect to throw it 300+ feet.

I guess I am just wondering if I should consider a heavier or lighter driver (Also I didn't want to start another thread just to ask this question, I hope that's ok).

I would not advertise that weight. Max weight for a Drone is 180.0 IIRC.

I use mids around 175, drivers 170, putters 169-172

Latest posts