• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Judging approach shots

PerpetualNewbie

Birdie Member
Ok, besides my driving form disappearing on me this past weekend, the other thing that really sank my tournament scores was that I was overshooting most of my approach shots, often leaving me with long comeback putts.

Other than practicing them (which I intend to make a priority this summer) does anyone have any tips for better approaching and gauging these shots?

My approach discs are usually a Zero Medium Pure or a Fuzion Judge, but I'll occasionally use one of my putting putters (Zero Medium Sinus) as well.

Thanks!

Like you said its all just practice. Just getting the feel of the discs and how hard you need to throw them will fix it. Sounds like you might be in a little slump :(

I've found that a Pure can glide quite a long way. I'm not familiar with the Judge. I've started using an R-Pro Rhyno for my shorter approach shots as it tends to glide less and stick where it lands. But mostly it is just a matter of practice, practice, practice until you get a feel for how to power down the approaches. Still working on that myself...

Like you said its all just practice. Just getting the feel of the discs and how hard you need to throw them will fix it. Sounds like you might be in a little slump :(

Yeah, I figured it might just come down to practice and feel, was just hoping someone might have found some tips that worked for them.

Weekend tournaments went horribly bad, but today was a better day :)

Thanks!

I've found that a Pure can glide quite a long way. I'm not familiar with the Judge. I've started using an R-Pro Rhyno for my shorter approach shots as it tends to glide less and stick where it lands. But mostly it is just a matter of practice, practice, practice until you get a feel for how to power down the approaches. Still working on that myself...

The Judge is actually supposed to be glidier than the Pure by a bit, actually. I use my Sinus for pretty much the same reason you use your Rhyno, the two discs are rated about the same actually.

Guess I'll just have to put in the practice hours on this, thanks!

If it's an available line, approaching with a hyzer shot offers better margins for error.

Yes, that is an excellent point and one I was thinking about as well, most of my approaches this weekend were the straight-at-the-basket type of throws.

Will have to work on this, thanks for thinking outside the "just practice them some/more" box!

If you're sailing Judges, try a Wizard. They're a bit more OS, and a bit less glidey, which makes them a bit easier to control. Pretty similar feel to the Judge.

I'm not sure what distances exactly you're talking about, but you can try some different types of throws that don't go far. I've always enjoyed pancakes. You throw the disc upside down forehand or backhand at about a 45 degree anhyzer. It flexes out of the annie to land relatively flat upside down and skids towards the target. This of course is a good lay up, but not so much if you're really going for it.

If its an approach of around 75-100 ft i know the chances of making are slim. So alot of times I'll actually thumb a putter flat so it lands upside down and skids right up to the basket. Thumbers are a very repeatable shot for me.

I use 2 different techniques from 150' and out -> 1) I will picture my putting comfort zone around the basket. This helps to set me up for success and keeps positive mental momentum. 2) I throw to the base of the basket. This keeps my trajectory more conservative and saves me from the negative thoughts of blowing past the basket.

Set your bag out and grab all of your mids and putters and throw different lines at it. Mcbeth did a video on this. Lately this had been my most improved shot.

Are you running the basket, or are you talking placement shot?

If it's an available line, approaching with a hyzer shot offers better margins for error.

I agree with the hyzer shot and/or using a more OS approach disc. More predictable. As far as "available line" if you can't hyzer in at the basket and need to approach from the other side, flick a sidearm with (the same) OS approach disc.

I would recommend using a Suspect, Breaker or Zone. These are all OS putter/mids. You can thank me later… :hfive:

One thing that I do, which I feel is kinda cheating, is to use an overstable disc with very little glide (champ pig for me) and give it a good bit of umph. I very rarely go past the basket with the pig, and even rarer do I have a 30ft putt coming back. Judging distance is one of the hardest parts of this game for me, but practice certainly helps a bunch. If you are withing 100ft, maybe try a jump putt and just aim a little short?

Thanks for the discussion everyone, I actually got a lot more feedback on this than I thought I would.

My plan of attack for this is going to involve a lot of practice, and also experiment with some different discs.

I've used a Sinus for approaches on occasion and I have some extras in zero hard plastic that I think would work better than the zero mediums I use as my primary putter. I also picked up a blend Suspect this weekend to compare with my Lucid and will try working with it for these shots as well.

I had picked up a Judge out of a mistaken belief that it would be more overstable than my Pure, but that is definitely not the case, and I like the Pure mold way to much to give them up so the Judge may have to find a new home.

Latest posts